Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Proto Miranda (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Proto Miranda
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forget, Andrew, that in TOS the dish wasn't the deflector. It was a sensor dish. So, it would seem as though this ship has no deflectors [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The curvature of the top and bottom part of the saucer section looks more like how the refit-versions curve - not how the E-Nil TOS looks (if that's the era/style you were going for - or maybe something inbetween?)

Oh yes baby thats right! Look here!

-

Lobo

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just occure dto me that top pylon thingy looks like the pylon thingy that connects to the Pod on the Nebula class. One more thing: It looks like a retro TNG ship. 23rd century ships did not have that nacelle thingy between the bussard collector and the general cycliner nacelle.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
23rd century ships did not have that nacelle thingy between the bussard collector and the general cycliner nacelle.

-
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a "doh!" moment right there, eh?

Anyway, Lobo, do you plan to make other views of the second version with the pylons coming directly from the saucer? I like that one in particular. The first one's nacelles seem too close for my tastes. The second design reminds me of the Centuar.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, my mistake. Though in my opinion I think the nacelle should at least have the Enterprise's nacelle seeing that the Miranda class has the Connie refit's or even the Constellation class with half it chopped off.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Lobo
Member # 669

This is the movie era refit version.
The ship will have an little secundary hull.
 -

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!]

My god, that ship is beautiful...!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ummmm....

Pardon me for being dense, but shouldn't an uprated "Proto-Miranda" BE the Miranda? [Confused]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Lobo
Member # 669

Hmm yeah maybe...then is it an proto Miranda class starship.  -

[ July 08, 2002, 04:22: Message edited by: Lobo ]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to nitpick, but there's something bugging me about both these schematics. On the side views of both the ships, the rearward slope of the primary hull's upper mound is shown complete, rather than having it's upper part covered by the bridge mound. The rearward slope is the same as the frontward slope and seems to suggest that the bridge is as thick as a sheet of paper. Nice schematics, other than that.
Lobo
Member # 669

Do you mean the first pic of the topic or the newest(movie era refit version)? I must say the bridge on the refit version is not soo exactly. And your critic is more as welcome:).

Lobo

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem's the same on both side views.

If you look directly under the bridge, the top of the mound of the primary hull is complete at both its front and back. The back should be covered slightly by the bridge, since the bridge extends down the rear slope of the mound.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Lobo
Member # 669

If I have understood you right, then do you mean this.  -
But i think is looks similar to the constituition class bridge.  - or i am wrong? [Confused]

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Sure, it looks similar, but it's not the same. The main difference is that your bridge extends much further down and back from the center of the mound than does the Consitution bridge.

Try this. Take a bowl and flip it over. This is like the primary hull mound. Take your left hand, and place it where the brige would be, mostly on the bottom of the bowl but partly down the slope to the left. Now, can you see the entire edge of the bottom of the bowl? No, you can't, because your hand, the bridge, is covering part of the edge towards the left, which represents the back of the ship.

That's exactly the same as in your drawing. From the side view, the back/top edge of the primary hull mound should be partially covered by the bridge. Also, the bridge module should have a curved bottom from the center of the hull to its rear bottom point, instead of going back horizontally, then having a sharp corner and downward slope.

Since I don't do 3-D computer modeling, I often use little mock-ups or look at plastic models to make sure I don't have too many mistakes like this.

Edit: I notice now that that where the top part of the bridge meets the bottom part of the bridge is also funny. On both the front and side views, the bottom part of the bridge has a curved edge where it meets the top part. That's not possible. The line where they meet should be straight horizontal. For reference, look at the Connie.

[ July 11, 2002, 18:07: Message edited by: Masao ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps