Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-TOS ship (NX contemporary?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-TOS ship (NX contemporary?)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. I've been lurking on this board constantly for at least 3 years now, and I thought it might actually bite the bullet and register. Why haven't I done this before, you ask? Well, when you have a 2 1/2 year old son, you tend to be very busy. [Big Grin]

Anyway, I thought I'd begin by showing off one of my ships. I figure it's a contemporary to the NX-01, but I can't decide if it came before or after. The entire aft end is one big sublight engine similar to the ones on the NX-01.
(EDIT: changed picture to a link)
pretos1.jpg
I may get around to doing a top view eventually, but like I said, it's tough to find personal time. Oh, and I did this in CorelDRAW 8.

B.J.

[ July 15, 2002, 07:25: Message edited by: BJ_O ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the ship works.. i could definitely see it as a pre-NX-01 starfleet ship.. i theorize they mustve had some sort of exploration/patrol boats before Enterprise, even if all they did before Enterprise was go to Alpha Centauri and back... it would explain why they called it a 'Fleet' for a decade before they built the long-range interstellar NX-01, assuming they just had a fleet of really slow spaceships for defense and peeking arounf the local stars' corners

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be kind to you since you've at least been lurking for a while and should know most of the rules and customs, so change that image to just a link so it doesn't screw up the layout of the thread. Many people here use a smaller screen resolution than you do.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why? Everyone should be surfing at 1280x1024 or better for optimum viewing! [Wink]

*ducks*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actually, i dont consider it to be too serious in Designs Artwork and Creativity to post large images. I dont mind as much as i did when there was that kid putting wallpapers up in General Trek
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm fine at 1024x768. It's nice and big enough for me. I'm just surprised that 1280x1024 doesn't proportionately scale down to 1024x768.

Anyway the ship itself is great. It seems post-Enterprise and pre-TOS. It seems like it's on it's way to being like the Daedalus and the Connie class and starting to move away from the NX class (even if only briefly as the saucer would eventually dominate). The impulse engine looks much like a modern-age rocket engine, which I like, giving it a retro look to it. I don't recall any Starfleet ship ever having any split V-shape pylons, but it looks like a good feature.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the comments so far! I just went ahead and changed the picture to a link.

Captain Mike: Yeah, I figure that there was some sort of fleet, at least to find out what was on the surface of Pluto or whatnot.

Dat: It does look like a rocket engine to some degree, much more than the later impulse engines, which I think was the point when they were designing the NX-01. As for the split pylons, that was just something that I did in my doodle that looked good, so I went with it!

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... I definitely like the design! It's sort of a cross between the NX-01 and the Daedalus. I'm inclined to say that it's a pre-ENT ship that's something like a Warp 3-capable "patrol" cruiser, or maybe part of Earth's token "defense fleet" that the Vulcans patronizingly let them have.

My only real question (and this is more general, not specifically related to your design) is just how and why did the dual hull design come into use? Why did they decide that a saucer was a good idea? They seem like rather "strange" designs to just develop for the heck of it, especially when you've only been in the galaxy for 100 years or so. I'd have thought that early ships would be much more solid-looking, more like the SS Valiant or Friendship One. It's a bit of a leap to go from that to the NX-01.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Edipissed Wrecks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
CaptainMike: actually, i dont consider it to be too serious in Designs Artwork and Creativity to post large images. I dont mind as much as i did when there was that kid putting wallpapers up in General Trek
are you talking about my desktop thread in the officers lounge? if you are, then you can bite my ass. and i think i'm older than you, kid. [Razz]
IP: Logged
capped
Member # 709

I'm talking about koy'peled Oy'tio (if that is his real name...!)

what the fuck do i care if the image has a purpose? i wanted to post my desktop full size too. if i'd meant the frickin' officer's lounge, i woulda said so.

the kid, boy'sped Outta'here, used to post 1024 wallpapers of random starship beauty shots as accompaniment to copying an article about science and technology into General Trek. But hey, if thats what it means to be a writer...

[ July 15, 2002, 09:30: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

Ed BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Koy'pled Oy'tios real name is Clayton Holmes.
(Damn that MSN Messenger...)

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who names their child Clayton Holmes? Christ, no wonder Americans are so fucked up. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
Member # 709

I'd be more worried about people who names themselves 'koy'peled Oy'tio'.. there, i said it..!
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

ACK! My first thread and already I've been hijacked! [Razz]

Anyway, I've done a top view now, so here it is:
 -
What do you think? Is it missing anything that would give it that extra "oomph?"

BTW, thanks to Bernd for those 2D tutorials on his Ex Astris Scientia website. I could draw just about any shape I wanted before, but I couldn't make them look good (i.e. fills, blends, etc.). His tutorial made me realize a few new tricks I could use!

B.J.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that nozzle thingie on the aft part of the secondary hull? A rocket? Some pre-impulse engine?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps