Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-TOS ship (NX contemporary?) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-TOS ship (NX contemporary?)
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BJ_O:
The entire aft end is one big sublight engine similar to the ones on the NX-01.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. In particular the shape of the main hull is a nice idea. I would have made the engineering hull a bit smaller or flatter, and added a few clumsy details to it.

BTW, the ship has almost exactly the same drawing style as my designs, even the bitmap conversion artifacts are the same. You don't happen to use Micrografx Designer?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Bernd. No, I don't use Designer (but I do have a copy for some reason). I did this in CorelDRAW 8. I'm not entirely sure exactly what artifacts you're referring to, but I did save the jpg with a larger compression ratio to keep the file size down. I still use a modem, so smaller files are better for me.

As for the drawing style, like I said earlier, I did get a lot of ideas from your website! [Big Grin]

B.J.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a minor extra. I've always liked having real world references to show just how big things are, so I did this quick size comparison chart. I determined that this thing is about 107 meters long using "standard" 3.5 meter deck heights. As for the Sodor name, my son is really into Thomas the Tank Engine now, so it's the _other_ big thing stuck in my head right now. [Roll Eyes]
 -

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that design, BJ_O. I don't think I've ever seen or thought of a semisphere primary hull, but that looks really nice with the secondary hull. The ship looks really good. I especially like what you did with the nacelle pylons. Those don't look like something that could easily be taken out in a battle. Excellent work.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that bothers me about the deisgn is the shape of the forward part of the secondary hull where the 'neck' and the secondary hull meets.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is indeed good work BJ_O, I like this design a lot, and it fits nicely into its supposed time period. There's certainly a number of things with this ship which aren't common with fan designs, so kudos..

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like it a lot. great work! in my mind, it is post nx. maybe the first trans warp 6 earth cruiser...?
IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With the "artifacts", I referred to the not quite perfect anti-aliasing (of slanted or curved lines). It's really a minor point that I only noticed because I tried in vain to get rid of that effect in Designer. But as far as I know, in Corel Draw it will get better if you increase the line width or if you export at a larger ppi factor and reduce the size afterwards.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very impressive work, especially for a beginner and it's a truly original design to boot!
I can defiantly see Bernd's influence in this [Wink]

I would suggest that you include a shuttle bay in there somewhere, perhaps a drop bay at the bottom of the secondary hull?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I would suggest that you include a shuttle bay in there somewhere, perhaps a drop bay at the bottom of the secondary hull?

That's exactly where I thought I'd put one if I go back and update this! [Big Grin]

B.J.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps