Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » An unknwon class for a change (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An unknwon class for a change
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is in fact Reverend's proposal for a possible Apollo candidate in the ASDB. I liked it, so built it, but the design is creditted to him. It's a kind of Ambassador variant, and predesessor of the Nebula.

-

-

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Red BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is actually one of my favorite, if not the favorite fan design, ever.
IP: Logged
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell Reverend that as well, he'll be thrilled...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Red BWC
Ex-Member

I think it would be better if the pod was taken off. Not too fond of ships with a pod.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I reckon ditch the pod. Also no windows on the underside? Small 'round white thing' on the underneath. What is the blue glowy thing behind the bridge?

Re the pod - you could make it smaller and make it connect Miranda style?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

There were originally windows on the underside, but I removed them as per Reverend's request - he didn't like them. All other technical queries should be aimed more at him. The pod though is a key component of this ship. It's a tactical frigate.

--------------------

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. According to some internet rumors I've read, the actual model for the U.S.S. Gage consisted of a "Nebularized" version of the Ambassador class. Of course, unless Rob Legato can confirm this, It's still just a rumor.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That is actually one of my favorite, if not the favorite fan design, ever.
Ta very much.

quote:
Yeah, I reckon ditch the pod.
Re the pod - you could make it smaller and make it connect Miranda style?

The good Admiral is correct; the pod is a key component and the ship would loose it's character without the pod.
As for attaching it Miranda style...I don't see how that would work without drastically altering the saucer.

The design is by no means complete; in fact the mesh is more complete than the original schematics.

quote:
Also no windows on the underside?
There will be small portholes on the ventral bulge whenever Mark has the time and inclination to continue work on the mesh.
What I had him remove was a load of windows that wrapped around the rim of the saucer, it was innovative to be sure but just didn't sit right with me.

quote:
Small 'round white thing' on the underneath.
That would be a sensor dome, like the one on the Ambassador.

quote:
What is the blue glowy thing behind the bridge?
The Arboretum.

quote:
Interesting. According to some internet rumors I've read, the actual model for the U.S.S. Gage consisted of a "Nebularized" version of the Ambassador class. Of course, unless Rob Legato can confirm this, It's still just a rumor.
I heard the same rumor, thats partly why I drew up the schematics in the first place. I wanted to see what it would look like [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa! Those schematics rock! Excellent technique. And I actually like the way the ship looks better in the schematics than in 3-D... I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because I can see how the pod is attached and I like it.
Edipissed Wrecks
Ex-Member

i have a couple spare enterprise c ertl models, and i keep meaning on making a physical model along those lines. great, great, great ship design.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh re the sensor dome - I meant it looked smaller than it's Ambassador counterpart.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nifty design, although I'm a little leery of the mounting point for the pod. Seems to me that having it directly above the shuttlebay would limit the amount of support and structural bracing you could use.

Still, I love the idea of giving the Nebula body plan a design history of its own, instead of it simply being a Galaxy kitbash (although, if the registry number theory is correct, wouldn't that make the Galaxy a Nebula kitbash?). A couple of years back I had a bit of inspiration along the same line, except that my version was based on the TMP Enterprise. It's pen and ink, though, and sorry, no scanner, so I can't post an image. I sent a copy of the ship via snail mail to Jim Stevenson over at shipschematics.net, but I can't tell you when he'll post it (or even if he got it).

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nifty design, although I'm a little leery of the mounting point for the pod. Seems to me that having it directly above the shuttlebay would limit the amount of support and structural bracing you could use.
If the Nebula-Class can get away with it, then so can the Apollo.

quote:
Still, I love the idea of giving the Nebula body plan a design history of its own, instead of it simply being a Galaxy kitbash (although, if the registry number theory is correct, wouldn't that make the Galaxy a Nebula kitbash?).
I generally think that the Nebula was designed in parallel to the Galaxy and was launched earlier to test out alot of the technologies that had been developed. It's a theory that I also apply to the W359, mini Galaxy family (New Orleans, Challenger etc).
It would also apply with this design, which is why I changed a few of the details from the Ambassador template, to show that some systems that were tested didn't quite make it or were altered to suit the standard Jefferies configuration.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

I'm right with you on that, Reverend. In fact, it's quite possible that the Springfield is the oldest of the ships in the Galaxy family, maybe 15 years older than the Galaxy. If the TNG Tech Manual is correct the Galaxy program took 20 years to run its course, so the Galaxy's design styles go back quite a way and would've quite feasibly have been used on simpler, smaller ships, long before the Galaxy prototype herself saw the stars.

--------------------

The ASDB

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I really like that. That is an excellent render. And the design itself is really excellent. This is definitely one of my favorite fan designs now.

I like the pod a lot. With this, you can see a neat progression of pod designs going from the disc here to the oval bulge of the Phoenix to the triangular disc of the Sutherland. I bet that you could fit enough structural bracing in there to support the pod assembly since it looks like the nacelle pylons hook into the ship at the same point.

I also really like the small details like the like gridwork on the pylons and secondary hull. It looks really good, as does the hull work on the upper saucer. I'm also getting this really cool Excelsioresque vibe from it thanks to the bussard ramscoops, the secondary hull's pattern near the ventral side, and that blue ring around the ventral saucer.

And, for some reason, I kinda like it without the windows on the ventral saucer.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps