Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » An unknwon class for a change (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: An unknwon class for a change
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is cool. Although I've always considered the Nebula to be to the Galaxy what the Miranda is to the Constitution. Anyone ever done a Nebularised Excelsior, to make the family complete? [Smile]

One small thing though. Isn't the registy a little low?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon the Centaur is a (ignoring a possible ship-bash status) Mirandarised/Nebularised Excelsior family variant.

Speaking about Families... If the Springfield is the first of the Galaxy family... what would have been the first of the Ambassador family? I have a guess here - maybe it was the Renaissance Class... considering it was the first (I think the DS9 Tech Manual said) to have Escape Pods (or was that visible escape pods). How do the Ambassador registries/Renaissance registries match up?

Actually does anyone have a numbered list of Fed ships (canon) from lowest to highest registry? It might help in slotting in 'unseen' classes. Although yes yes, there are some 'new' batches of Oberths and Mirandas and Excelsiors that appear through the 3#####'s and the 4#####

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone, I'm glad (speaking for Reverend too) that this design and model seem popular. We've both actually had a fair amount of resistance to it at the ASDB when presenting our cases that this is a plausible design for the Apollo.

Psy, the registry's right, this is the USS Gage, NCC 11672.

AndrewR, the Renaissance is a lot later than the Apollo. Her known registries are in the NCC 45*** region, putting her launch date probably somewhere in the 2340's bracket.

For anyone interested there's more pictures and info on the Apollo Page

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreement on the lack of windows on the saucer.
One thing I always hated about the Galaxy was all the damn windows. In some sections (such as the interconnecting pylon) the damn hull is almost 50% transparent aluminum. That's a lot of faith in a 20th century product (transparent aluminum), and ahs to substantially weaken the overall hull integrity.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
the damn hull is almost 50% transparent aluminum
50% is a bit of an exageration. keep in mind that the structural integrity field is going to give the ship lots of strength, regardless of what material it is made of.
IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyle: That's assuming that starships are of monocoque construction (no rude comments, please) rather than having most of the stress borne by an internal skeleton. I've always tended to favor the later, but most blueprints, going back to Franz Joseph's, don't show any internal framework, so maybe ships are monocoque.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the TNG tech manual implies that the habital volume of the ship is just sort of draped along an internal support structure, though, doesn't it?
Prismatic Faye Valentine Fanboy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Treknophyle: That's assuming that starships are of monocoque construction (no rude comments, please) rather than having most of the stress borne by an internal skeleton. I've always tended to favor the later, but most blueprints, going back to Franz Joseph's, don't show any internal framework, so maybe ships are monocoque.

there is no way that a large ship would be monocoque. isn' a galaxy class skeleton visible in the utopia planitia scene in voyager?
IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The drafting room holoprogram in "Booby Trap" shows the Enterprise with a (seemingly) complete stardrive and a saucer that's just framework.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks really great!

Though the pattern on the pylons are kind of ugly, the pylon end phaser strip could be lowered a bit, and the whole pylons should be angled so the bottom portion stretches a bit backwards.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me that design is too Nebula-like. While I understand the design is supposed to be a Ambassador type Nebula, it could have a design of it's own. I mean The Constitution class has the Miranda class which is different from the Nebula and the Centuar class. I would think the design would have to be different in it's own little way.

Other than that, the schematic and the pics are great.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps