Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Utopia Planitia (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Utopia Planitia
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful artwork, Mark! [Cool]

This may not be a nit, but just an artifact of the color rendering. But that big spacedock-like station on the left side looks like the upper dome has a "crease" along the shadow line. Maybe this is just because of a big contrast between the lit part of the station and the shadowed area, but the line looks sharp enough to me to make it look like the hull itself is actually creased or ridged in some way.

Still, it looks really nice!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks man...

It's not actually a shadow, it is indeed a darker raised segment protruding from the hull. It doesn't show up so well in this image, but a bit better here

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aha! I see what you did now. That's a nice little detail...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is mightly fine!!!!!!! Although could you do a list of all ships included, as some are too hard to tell.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok:

USS New Orleans - New Orleans Class, left foreground.

USS Columbia - Galaxy Class, left middle distance.

USS Stanley - Independence Class cruiser, far left drydock.

USS Anchorage - Challenger Class, centre drydock, foreground.

Nebula Class under construction, wide drydock, far right foreground.

USS Providence - Galaxy Class, wide drydock, central, middle distance.

USS Temeraire - Cheyenne Class, drydock, central, middle distance.

USS Providence - Galaxy Class, undergoing refit, spaceframe assembly unit, middle distance

-Other distant drydocks contain 1 New Orelans class ship, and an Excelsior.

Other free floating ships include:

USS Fredrickson - Excelsior Class, lower right.

USS Pascal - Hokule'a Class, lower right.

USS Rochester - Excelsior Class, distant upper left.

USS Gage - Apollo Class, distance middle left.

USS Sapphire - Utopia Class, upper right, middle distance.

USS Bristol - Nebula Class, distant upper right.

USS Beesley - Tudor Class Transport ship, central, far in the distance.

Other vehicles include some Workbees (hard to spot) and other auxillary service craft around the drydocks.

Phew, think that's about it.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your talent still makes me want to vomit....

It is beautiful...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
USS Gage - Apollo Class, distance middle left.
AH HA! I knew I'd find her eventually...all by myself....really [Wink]

quote:
I have a plan, a cunning plan, for the Nebula pod. But it will have to wait until tomorrow...
What is this cunning plan?

Are you able to render scenes as different sized images? If so then why not try a wide rectangle instead of a square, a 16:9 ratio should give it a nice cinematic quality while enabling you to spread things out a bit to reduce the clutter.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Red BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quality of that makes me fell like Mr. DeMartino after he flipped the lid after the barbeque...

-

IP: Logged
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

lol, well thanks...

My cunning plan for the Nebula, Reverend, changed somewhat. Instead of a pod swap I created a Nebula saucer under construction... see it?

Sorry the Apollo is way off in the distance. I just couldn't fit another ship anywhere in the foreground.

Changing the ratio would require a big overhaul of the scene setup. It's a nice idea, one I might tackle if I get the time at the weekend. But you know what I'm like. When I finish something I like to move on to something new, straight away.

Right now I have an interesting Rigel Class proposal in development, based on your drawings. Haven't done any work on her yet, but it's in the sketch stage. I really want to finsih off that Hokule'a too.

--------------------

The ASDB

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
My cunning plan for the Nebula, Reverend, changed somewhat. Instead of a pod swap I created a Nebula saucer under construction... see it?
Just barely, maybe you should have put a few spotlights on it or moved it closer to the camera.

quote:
Sorry the Apollo is way off in the distance. I just couldn't fit another ship anywhere in the foreground.
Don't worry about it, the model wouldn't hold up well to close inspection in it's current state anyway.

quote:
Changing the ratio would require a big overhaul of the scene setup. It's a nice idea, one I might tackle if I get the time at the weekend. But you know what I'm like. When I finish something I like to move on to something new, straight away.
Indeed, your attention span is minimal.
*waves shiney thing in your face and throws it out the window*

quote:
Right now I have an interesting Rigel Class proposal in development, based on your drawings. Haven't done any work on her yet, but it's in the sketch stage.
Which one? that crazy manta-ray looking thing or that 4 nacelled jobbie I did for whats-his-face?

quote:
I really want to finsih off that Hokule'a too.
Same here, although I put so much detail on that top view my computer has a small fit evey time I try and edit the file.
Did we ever decide wether or not to use the E-B'ish secondary hull projections?

[ July 31, 2002, 16:03: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Red BWC
Ex-Member

I sill feel like Mr. Demartino...

-

Reverend, what program do you use and how long did it take you to get to where you are. More importantly, check yer PMs!

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to murder you.
Red BWC
Ex-Member

Who dont?
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Reverend said:

quote:
Don't worry about it, the model (the Apollo) wouldn't hold up well to close inspection in it's current state anyway.
Erm, I think it's well worthy of seeing close up. There's a few bits and pieces to do, but it's more or less there...

quote:
Indeed, your attention span is minimal.
*waves shiney thing in your face and throws it out the window*

I will have you know that my attention span....(trails off)

-basically I like to put a design or a model to bed swiftly. I hate having half finished things lying around clogging up my hard drive.

quote:
Which one (Rigel Class design), that crazy manta-ray looking thing or that 4 nacelled jobbie I did for whats-his-face?
No no not that one. The elliptical saucer version (along the X axis). And there are two nacelles, and in some ways it resembles an Akira. I'm sure it was you that came up with those designs.

BTW The Hokule'a has had some attention since the last post. Look out for some updated renders soon, possibly tonight...

--------------------

The ASDB

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Erm, I think it's well worthy of seeing close up. There's a few bits and pieces to do, but it's more or less there...
It's a matter of perspective, from my point of view the 2D plans are still in their initial stage so there may be alot of details that I'll add later. Until that is all done the 3D model will never be "finished".

quote:
No no not that one. The elliptical saucer version (along the X axis). And there are two nacelles, and in some ways it resembles an Akira. I'm sure it was you that came up with those designs.
Yeah, the crazy manta-ray looking thing. It is indeed one of mine, actually I have just been tinkering with it lately. I'll post the revisions on the mailing list just as soon as I figure out what to do with the sauser's ventral surface.

quote:
BTW The Hokule'a has had some attention since the last post. Look out for some updated renders soon, possibly tonight...

Righto, I'll have a goosey...nothing yet, I'll check back later.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps