Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Tips? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tips?
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm always wary of using Star Trek fonts on my site, text-wise that is. The user has to have those fonts installed on their computers otherwise it's just going to show up as Times New Roman, or something equally bland and ghastly. Gif logos and banners excepted though, obviously...

Red BWC: Like what others have said, keep it simple at first, and compile as much information and material as possible before going online.

If you're anything like me I wasn't very impressed with the first version of my site. I started very small in '99. But it's grown massively, but of course steadily. It will evolve slowly, don't think you can run before you can walk. Patience is the key, pouring over every page, every word before going live. Like always, as has been said, don't forget the copyright notice, and credits... Good luck.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i thought that went without saying.

i deplore times, and try to stick to arial, arial narrow or verdana for everything that is loaded as text. but i like to use my trek hull font for graphic banners.. its not even exclusively trek.. originating in eurostile, its a nice readable technical font.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Red BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban - It's just an image showing where everything will go. And the background is black.
I am doing the ship first.

Mike - Which one is the Movie Era LCARS? I think I have the package on my computer...

Aban Again - What does WYSIWYG mean? Is it some program?

Anybody - I can do good looking ships in Paint, but have now downloaded PSP 7.4, and want to have vector images, but Have no idea how to make them look good. Should I draw them in paint and then retrace them in PSP or what???

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What You See Is What You Get. It refers to the use of programs such as Dreamweaver and Frontpage. Programs that write the code for you and allow you to see the tables and such being created.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Red BWC
Ex-Member

PSP Bump 1 - I try to fill a selection, yet it fills the whole image. ANybody know how do curcumvent that???
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try F1.
Red BWC
Ex-Member

No help.

*but then he goes and tries again*

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
I'm always wary of using Star Trek fonts on my site, text-wise that is. The user has to have those fonts installed on their computers otherwise it's just going to show up as Times New Roman, or something equally bland and ghastly. Gif logos and banners excepted though, obviously...

Oh, absolutely. I've never, ever done it otherwise. Because the chance of another Trek fan browsing your site having the exact same font with the exact same name installed on their hard drive is pretty small. First, these Trek fonts are not widely distributed aside from webmasters. Second, they often have altered names, and so they can end up not being used even if the font is the one intended, because it doesn't have the name that the website specifies.

One thing that I've started to do is specifying multiple "backup" fonts in my CSS style sheet. I prefer Arial, but if the visitor doesn't have that for some obscure reason, there are alternatives that can allow for an approximation before they have to resort to the horrible (for Trek websites) Times New Roman.
quote:
Originally posted by Red BWC:
You would like to retrace them for me, wouldn't you? Please?

BWC: I didn't say this before because I was EXTREMELY annoyed by this comment. If you want to do something for your website, you should do it yourself. If you want to be able to add a major set of well-done images using vector illustrations, then learn how to draw the damn things yourself! This is a personal hobby, and there is absolutely no reason why other people should do your stuff for you.

There are plenty of handy vector-based programs out there. I'd recommend Macromedia Freehand 10, because I've been very impressed with Macromedia's products (I recently bought Studio MX), though I haven't delved into Freehand yet. If you're a college student enrolled at a university, you can buy Freehand for $99.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yuck.. whatever you guys do, don't type 'lcars' into Google Image Search.. its not pretty.

ill upload a movie era lcars pic tonight when im on my home comp..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Red BWC
Ex-Member

MMan - I got PSP 7 a while ago. It was a joke, relax.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MinutiaeMan: How do you like Freehand? If you need any help, just ask. (I'm still using version 7, however).
Red BWC
Ex-Member

This will take a very very very long time...

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/818/psptest2.gif

(BUt I think it's good for the first thing I ever did in PSP 7. Only I had 23 layers...)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No kidding it's going to take a long time. When you start off not knowing how to use the program and with a list of dozens of starships to do... did you really expect to get them drawn up in a few days?

Most of the people who make graphics and cool shipy drawings spent years learning how to do it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've messed around with various versions of Photoshop for years, and I *still* discover new features on a regular basis. Don't expect to master the program in three days.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing about Freehand (aside from it wiping Illustrator's ass) is that it copies perfectly into Fireworks.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps