Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Ambassador Class Bridge (Conjectural) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Ambassador Class Bridge (Conjectural)
seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
It should be noted that Sean won't be able to edit his messages after 2 hours have passed since the posting.

You need to fix that. I post at SFM and 3DG frequently and neither one has that limitation.

BTW, enough of this kind of stuff and I just won't post here anymore. It's hard enough posting stuff at six different boards in the first place. Now you want me to remember which ones griped about image posting and which ones didn't - the result is I'll just post at the two that I have _never_ had a problem with. They don't complain, why do you?

--------------------
Sean Robertson
webolutionary@webolutionary.com
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."
-- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes]
IP: Logged
Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Tom Selleck in Mr. Baseball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google image searches for "High Horse" unfortunately return too few relevant matches.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the other hand, searches for "Anality" return hundreds of useful hits.
seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's that animation I promised:

http://www.webolutionary.com/truespace/gallery/seanr/temp/bridge_ambassador.avi

DivX 5.0.2 (how the hell do you encode in an older version?), 3.75MB

Cartman, STHU please, that was just lame.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sean, the reason that places like 3D Gladiators have no problem with posting images like that is because that's what they're there for -- their primary purpose is the artwork. But don't tell me that some people don't ask you to use thumbnails or something like that, with a link to the full-size image.

The point is that at a board like 3DG, people go there for the artwork. They expect to have to spend time downloading the images. But here, people are looking to read and interact in a text-based medium. That's why the links are more convenient. And when you're on a 56K modem (or worse, a 28.8), you're not going to want to spend loads of time waiting for all the images.

On top of that, I find it very annoying when these huge images distort the layout of the page. When the image is wider than my browser window (and I use a 1024x768 resolution), then I end up having to scroll across the page to finish reading the line of text. Scrolling back and forth horizontally gets real old, real fast.

I'm not trying to insult you here, or anything like that. I'm just trying to say that different places have different purposes, and different preferences. I like your artwork a lot -- it's some of the best fan-based designs I've ever seen. But it's also courteous to be aware of the preferences of other members -- and the rules of the different boards. If you have problems with that, then please, go ahead and move elsewhere.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

seanr
Member # 277

MM:

You're forgetting one key point. Even though Flare as a whole may not be for art, the "Designs, Artwork, & Creativity" most certainly _IS_. Anyone who comes in here expecting not to download images is an idiot.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

seanr
Member # 277

And no, I don't get thumbnail requests on SFM or 3DG. I've only ever even seen people request that once or twice, and that is only when people post images much bigger than mine. My images are only around 150K, normally less. If people can't handle that, they should stay the heck out of the art forum.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My previous post was not directed at you, Sean. *I* don't mind the loss of a few kilobytes of bandwith.
seanr
Member # 277

quote:
Originally posted by Colorful Cartman:
My previous post was not directed at you, Sean. *I* don't mind the loss of a few kilobytes of bandwith.

OK, sorry.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two-hour limit thing was not established by myself. I believe it to be a feature of the current UBB version we are using.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why do you even post the picture in the first place? Why not use a link?

Edit: Also my computer for some reason shrinks all the pictures down to what fits on the screen, if I want it to be bigger I click on the lower right corner. I don't know how it works, or who did it to the computer, but I like it.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

seanr
Member # 277

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
But why do you even post the picture in the first place? Why not use a link?

Why should I require viewers to make unnecessary clicks?

quote:
Also my computer for some reason shrinks all the pictures down to what fits on the screen, if I want it to be bigger I click on the lower right corner. I don't know how it works, or who did it to the computer, but I like it.
This feature is included in Internet Explorer 5.5 (or 6.0, I forget which). To turn it on/off, check/uncheck the option called "Enable Automatic Image Resizing" in the Multimedia section under the Advanced tab in the Internet Options window.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah that's ok. I like it. I find it better because it takes less time to load the picture.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
On top of that, I find it very annoying when these huge images distort the layout of the page. When the image is wider than my browser window (and I use a 1024x768 resolution), then I end up having to scroll across the page to finish reading the line of text. Scrolling back and forth horizontally gets real old, real fast.

And what about this, hmm?

My point is that these huge pictures, while very nice, can cause problems in several different ways. Not everyone will have the same problems. But unless all of the proper conditions are met -- like having a sufficiently large screen resolution -- one is bound to be annoyed somehow.

Is it really that big of a deal to use a link instead? I don't see why you've got a problem.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.