Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » My Daedalus kitbash (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: My Daedalus kitbash
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my first attempt to kitbash a ship on Photoshop. It took me about 3 hours to complete because of various things slowing me down, one of them is the computer itself.

I call her the Bellerphon class, perhaps a frigate version of the Daedalus class. Tomorrow, I'll do the other views.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/376/Bellerphonclass.jpg

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting....

Yes, please do the other views...

Does spacing help eliminate the Kirk speak thing???

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... I suppose that the basic layout is interesting in theory. But IMO that half-sphere falls under the category of "seriously fucked up."

You also have to consider the actual size of the ship. The Daedalus had an extremely thin neck, which was just barely feasible if you considered room for one narrow corridor, the structural members, and pipes/power conduits/etc. But if this ship is supposed to be smaller, there's no way you could shrink down the neck further.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The neck and secondary hull is larger. The only thing that is not larger is the primary hull.

Edit: I will also do a comparison as well. I also see a few things that need to be changed. However the after part of the secondary hull is the same diameter as the Daedalus's secondary hull.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turn it right side up, Matrix. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's interesting, but I think Mark might be right - perhaps it would be better flipped round the other way.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
The neck and secondary hull is larger. The only thing that is not larger is the primary hull.

Okay then. [Smile] Yes, a comparison would be helpful.

As for turning the design upside-down, I'd suggest starting with the half-sphere first and see how that looks -- I would venture that you wanted to have the nacelles-down arrangement?

This is more of a general problem, but IMO it's difficult to get a "frigate" type ship to complement the Daedalus Class, because the D is pretty darn small to start with. I don't see what a big deal this variant would be if it's not that much smaller.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Can anyone tell me where the 100 meter or so figure came from (besides from the Encyc.)? I mean the ship is roughly the length of a foot ball field, and the beam of the saucer is even smaller. The neck is is one decker, that can barely fit a single deck and any thing that will be needed for the saucer. If it was up to me, the ship would be like 180 meters or something.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presumably that length is measured from the Ency charts. But I think it could be a bit larger, yes.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

This is delving into the realm of the non-canon, but I think that the Daedalus would be feasible at around 100 meters.

First, I found a Daedalus internal cutaway at Gilso's Schematics site. Definitely non-canon (who would be stupid enough to put an arboretum in a ship that size?), but worth looking at.

Next, I took a few rough measurements in my graphics editor. I used Masao's Daedalus image with a length of 105 meters. Using the scale image provided, I calculated an approximate diameter of the forward sphere to be 30 meters. Using the area formula pi*r^2, I came up with an area of approximately 700 square meters on the centermost deck. Assuming a deck height of 3 meters, that gives room for 10 decks. That would mean 7000 square meters if the primary hull were a cylinder. However, it's not. I didn't go and measure the diameter at each probable deck height -- someone else can do that. Anyway, the total area is probably somewhere in the realm of 4500 to 5000 square meters.

If we assume that only one quarter of the spherical area is devoted to crew quarters, that translates to somewhere around 12.5 square meters of living space per crewman. Not a lot, but hey; this is a small, primitive ship. And also remember that this is JUST the sphere, not the entire ship -- lots of engineering and support equipment can go in the secondary hull.

Things would be tight, but I have no problem with that considering that this is early spaceflight, before they developed the extravagant power generation systems that could support Humanity's every whim. And it's certainly better than living on a 21st century submarine.

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

12.5 meters for a room, is less than 4 meters width and length of the room. You would barely fit a bed in there.

Anyway, didn't have the time to make the other views. But I did modify the ship alittle and created a comparison for the original.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/376/BellerphonclassComparison.jpg

This is the comparison, the ship is a bit logner than the Daedalus class. I didn't do the measurements, but it's like around 120 meters long.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/376/BellerphonclassVersion2.jpg

This is some suggested, flip the ship upside down. I didn't do anything about making the ship 'correct', just flipped it to show how it would look upside down.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/376/BellerphonclassVersion3.jpg

This is the modified version, make the nacelles smaller, modified the half sphere alittle and so on.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
12.5 meters for a room, is less than 4 meters width and length of the room. You would barely fit a bed in there.

Right. But like I said, it's a heck of a lot more room than most crewmen get on a submarine. They get communal bunks -- only officers have a tiny alcove that can be blocked off. And the only personal space that crewmen on today's space shuttles and the ISS get are the one lavatory and their own velcro sleeping bag that's stowed away when not in use. Twelve square meters would be a quantum leap in luxury by comparison.

Suggestion for your design, Matrix: Keep the neck and secondary hull the way they are, but flip the half-sphere. How would that work for ya? [Smile]

--------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Which one the original or the newer one?

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's a Bellerphon?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having the cutaway part of the secondary hull underneath makes it look like a precursor to the usual hull undercut/fantail on Constitution and later ships. If you put the impulse emitters there, you should take them off from the back of the ship.

By lowering the primary hull, it's now completely blocking the deflector, rather than only partially blocking it as on Daedalus. I can't see why that would be considered an advantage.

As some other guys mentioned, having half a sphere doesn't make a lot of sense. The main reason for a sphere is that it has low surface area for large volume. Chopping it in half would seem to destroy that advantage without any real benefit.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.