Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Spaceframe Assembly Unit (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spaceframe Assembly Unit
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As seen before, but slightly refined. A half build saucer is a hideous thing to have to model.

-

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you light it up alittle? All I see is an outline.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have no problems seeing details. looks great.
IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mean all I can see is some of the ship and the 'claw dock'.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I get what you mean. What did you expect to see?

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Maybe the ship perhaps or what's under construction perhaps? What I mean is that I can see a faint outline of the saucer, and a little of 'patches' where the ship is under construction, and the 'claw' dock.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps its time to adjust the brightness on your monitor or your gamma settings.

You must have great fun in Quake.
"What monster? All I see is dark and darker..."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lying in wait for Liam to come in and berate you for playing a game six years old.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is quite dark.

Time for a favorite rant of mine, not really directed at this fine picture.

Dear Star Trek Magazine and associates: I appreciate that you take the time to find lovely ship models on occasion and give us nice big five-view pictures. This is Good. I approve.

However, could you please NOT ATTEMPT TO GUSSY THEM UP WITH DIRECTIONAL LIGHTING!!? This is Bad. I am not in the market for beauty shots of starships at this time. I purchase your magazine on occasion so I can do very sad things like count windows and phaser arrays and point at very tiny markings and say "Aha!" and nod my head knowingly while e-mailing fifty people who are all as sad as I am. This is difficult to do when half the ship is completely shrouded in darkness. Please stop doing this.

Thank you.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Every picture I see besides from this one I see fine. The picture itself is dark.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of sounding obvious, you do know that space is well......dark right? Despite what you see in popular culture, space isn't exactly littered with nebuli, plasma storms, or whatnot.
Its very big (see the Hitchhiker's Guide) and very dark. Why would Starfleet waste energy making a shipyard glow like a roman candle?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frankly, I couldn't give a toss about what's in space. I want to see the ship somebody drew! Realism can bite me. Right here. No, not there, on the heel, where I can't feel it much.

I've got nothing against beauty shots. They are with the beauty. But if you want me to judge the quality of a piece of art, it helps slightly if I can actually see it, without lots of Fun Lighting and Neat Effects in the way, which turn out almost always to be neither Fun nor Neat.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

I agree. Otherwise just post a black pic and say there's a ship somewhere in there.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Ooh, this is getting a bit touchy. I deliberately made the lighting stronger (I thought), because the older version was too dark.

When I post a picture with high lighting and ambience -no beauty shot, just to show the model, people complain and say- 'the lighting's way off, it's too bright, turn the ambience down, where are the shadows, where's the realism..? etc. I can't win. I give up.

[Mad]

I will be later posting a new image with high lighting and ambience so you can see it better. Ok?

--------------------

The ASDB

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Sir, I am no artist, only a humble day laborer, but it seems to me that there are two kinds of starship picture. One, the ship in its dramatic environment. These are pretty. Two, the ship presented for inspection. These are also pretty, or so I think, but this is not their primary intention.

Take the above picture. It looks really cool. However, if someone were to ask me my opinion on, say, the relative quality of the under-construction ship, I would be unable to respond, because I cannot actually see it.

But I did not think that that was the point of this particular image, and thus my criticisms are not directed at it, but rather at other issues.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps