Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » the Aldrin (Pre-ENT ship) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: the Aldrin (Pre-ENT ship)
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is based on something I doodled up before "Enterprise" came on the air, shortly after it was announced it was a prequel series. This is just one of my ideas on how a much older ship would look. You can see evidence of current technology as well as future technology in it, including a bit from the DY-100, namely the bridge. Behind the bridge are clamshell doors like on the space shuttle. The nacelles are taken directly from my other ship that I posted a while ago. I may tweek that later, when I update the ship itself with more details and better fills.
 -

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat! But I think you need to beef up the framework connecting the two halves of the ship. Perhaps you could string fuel tanks along the spine.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the basic shape. I agree with Sol about the spine.

i think the deflector-dish housing is a bit small. Especially the way the dish is connected.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice design.

some points if I may? [Smile]

-Maybe: some more 'bracing' on the hull?
- Nacelles not so streamlines - more Daedelus/Phoenix-ish
-The under half of the saucer more Daedelus-like

What do current 'docking ports' look like... are they round? What are they on the Ent-Nil?

Maybe an Antenna array a la Matt Jefferies design ideas for the Enterprise?

The Deflector Dish more 'bulky' and 'attached' to the hull like the Daedelus version?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that design, too! The long boom reminds me of the Discovery from "2001: A Space Odyssey."

I agree with the points above, especially making the boom a little "stronger" looking. I'd also suggest beefing up the primary hull area, making it even blockier, though not necessarily with sharp corners. Just less streamlined. The deflector dish area is a good place to start.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the update. I'll see how this is received before I try to do a top view. I did put in a box beam type of spine, although personally I like the truss structure. The nacelles are now based loosely on the Phoenix's. Added lots of small details, including overhauling the sub-light engine and the deflector housing.

MM: After your Discovery comment, I seriously considered putting in an AE35 unit along the spine! [Wink] I may yet go back and see how that looks...

-

B.J.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking very nice. A very cool design concept.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. Kind of neat looking if you ask me.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat!

There are quite a few new ideas in the design. I like the redesign better, but maybe you can try to add something like tanks or other structures to the connecting dorsal. Just an idea. I think it shouldn't stay naked.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NICE!

I like the original lattice connecting section too.

Nice nacelles.

A lil bit more detail on the hull (the white parts)'d be nice. Maybe more like lines or maybe even just little doo-hickies that were located about the TOS Enterprise?

I love the cone at the back

And MAYBE the nacelles could be closer to the hull a la the Fortunate!?!

Oh, also the lattice-structure could be longer... maybe emphasising the 'fantastic energies' that are being generated by the nacelles and that part of the ship!?! And the whole M/AM hazard!?! Maybe the injection system has to be longer or something?

Oh and is the little yellow square towards the aft section something like the plaque found on the Pioneer probes!?! [Smile]

Nice.

Andrew

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That redesign rates highly on my SleekOMeter. But, I think the connecting dorsal's a bit too stretched out. It looks rather fragile... maybe if you added some objects this'd be less noticable. Simply cutting the thing in half might also work (drastic alternative, I know). [Big Grin]
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Thanks for the comments! I agree that I need to do something to the big gray areas on the main hull, so I'll get around to that eventually.

Andrew: The yellow plate is actually a feature swiped from the aft fuselage of the space shuttle. I think that it's where you can get access to some subsystems and/or refueling port, but I'm not sure, but that's what it's doing on my design.

As for the spine, unless I (or someone else) can come up with something that would look really good, I'll just leave it blank.

B.J.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will depend on what kind of purpose you intend for this design of yours, BJ_O. But I dug up a few examples from B5 ships, which occasionally sported something similar to the boom.

This design was basically a long boom with lots of equipment mounted along it. Someone already mentioned some small deuterium tanks -- wouldn't it make sense for early ships to have ejectable tanks in case of emergency? (Although you've already got the big engine nozzles.)

Then there's the gunboat design, where there were some relatively heavy cannons mounted. I wouldn't recommend anything nearly so extreme, of course -- Trek has never been big on external weaponry anyway. But maybe mounting a couple defensive plasma cannons or something would be an idea to fill some space.

And finally, I also agree with the suggestion that you lengthen the boom a bit. For one thing, it would be a neat homage to "2001" if you had a ship with similar proportions -- though obviously not the same shapes at either end.

And speaking of "2001," I like your idea of putting a satellite dish on the boom... that would look neat, and also give a "retro" look to the design.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Okay, here's another major update to this design, plus a top view.

-

As you can see, I added the AE35 unit, and it looks pretty good to me. Some might say that there's a line of sight problem with the warp nacelles, but I figure it can extend to be above the nacelles if need be. Besides, it doesn't look as good on the bottom. Also added lots of details and gridlines.

As for this thing's function, I figure it's early enough in Earth's warp history to merely be a solar system explorer at around warp 1.3 or so. The AE35 unit could probably be an off-axis comm system plus some other planetary senors. The clamshell doors would be too small for a contemporary planetfall shuttle, so the bay would be filled with probes and maybe a space-only transport. Comments?

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

It's a RIPPER! [Smile]

WOO!

My preference is for the first type of 'neck-scaffolding'... the middle bit... the see-through version with a conduit down the middle... you know the one.

Anyway! GREAT SHIP!

One more small nit/suggestion - the deflector dish underneath... maybe you could make it more... 'low tech'?? Less TOS-ish, a bit more 'raw' like the other things on the ship...

And, I can't remember did the Phoenix have a blue glow on it's nacelles? (ignoring the Akiraprise I think that the glowy stuff is more TMP-> tech)

Really do like it though.

I reckon, indeed it is a solar-system explorer and maybe even a few attempts at reaching a few closer stars or even the oort cloud and just beyond.

NICE!

I wonder where it would have been built... maybe off the ISS?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps