Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Galaxy Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Galaxy Class
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hands down the most difficult ship I've ever tackled, hence it been an on going process for several months. Some problems yet to be resolved, and texturing is still incomplete -this has been a cause of most of the problems.

In order for this to be acceptable to me, it has to pass the pepsi challenge. This is probably the second most well known and familiar ship. So does it look like a Galaxy?

These are not beauty renders, so ignore lighting/composition.

-

-

http://www.trekmania.net/art/galnew02.jpg

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This isn't a nitpick, as almost every Galaxy class model I've seen does this, but the way the hull pattern abbruptly stops at the saucer impulse engines makes them look a bit...tacked on.

And that starfleet pennent on the saucer leading up to the main shuttle bay looks a wee bit to big for me. And the main shuttle bay itself looks a smidge too far back.

But those are nitpicks. Good job!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day-um! If that's a WIP, I'd love to see the finished product!

Yeah, there are a few nitpicks -- but aside from the ones mentioned above, I can't find anything that's really wrong. I might suggest a lighter shade of blue/grey, but that might just be the lighting. This looks great! A lot better than some of the other attempts I've seen over the years...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only two problems I see, and they are minor ones, is that the saucer impulse engines look a tad on the large side, as are the vents at the top back end of the nacelles. Otherwise its very good looking, especially for a WIP!
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thanks! That's a relief, I've been too close to this to be objective and I was being constantly over critical about evey possible nuance. I've had to cheat slightly though on two things. Firstly the textures I nabbed from the net and amended them for the model (i don't know who to extend texture credits to). The texture pattern for the Galaxy is so recognisable that I couldn't draw them in Photoshop and make them look authentic. (MM, I'm crap at Photoshop and 2D - you're the 2D God!)

Secondly, I used my Nebula Class saucer as a template for this (I built the Nebula first), hence the large Starfleet pennent on the saucer which remains, and the deeper and more angular bridge module. Other than that it's all custom built. So at least I can say it's well on the way and I don't have to change anything too much (I built three successive neck sections and threw them about before I got a result - it was horrifically difficult and frustrating to get that right).

Thanks! Look out for some kick-ass animations coming up with this Galaxy.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aft end of the Engineering hull, where the torpedo launcher is, seems to be too far away from the edge of the flat part of the pylon thing. The part that goes like this: |___|, The horizontal part.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red,

Could you post an image of the GS coming straight on, and angled slightly up?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just two things. There should be a number only registry marking (no NCC) just behind the main shuttlebay, in yellow, if the AMT model kit is to be believed.

Also, the rear torpedo launcher seems to be missing. (Actually, looking at that now, it's possible that the thin wedge at the back of the stardrive section it just a bit too long. Or perhaps more accuratly, the top of the stardrive section doesn't come back quite far enough before it merges with the flat part).

If you wanted to be reckless, you could alway do the model in the Post-Defiant pennents (where the Stafleet symbol lacks the oval behind it, and the strips are a bit different).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark, I think you confused me with someone else here. I don't do very much starship artwork at all. Therefore, I doubt that I would be "the 2D God." [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delicious! I look forward to seeing the final "product". [Smile]
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the ship was that shiny. That and the main shuttle bay seems to be... off.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

MinutiaeMan - why I thought you were Reverend for a minute I have no idea. Sorry dude.

Thanks for the comment. As I said there are a few things yet to be resolved - further markings, final detailing etc. I also see the point regarding the secondary hull where it meets the pylons. There is a too big a gap, you're right.

What problem is there with the main shuttlebay?

--------------------

The ASDB

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose it could stand to have some more detail, it's a lot flatter than the one on the filming models.
Prismatic EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the dorsal secondary hull seems to be too rounded in general, and the gap at the torpedo tube has been mentioned. other than that, it looks good to me. can't wait to see the finished version.
IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Doesn't the main shuttlebay have a bit more of a curve to it?

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.