Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-TOS Shuttlecraft

Author Topic: Pre-TOS Shuttlecraft
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just thought I'd share one of my latest concoctions with you munchkins.
 -
Let the nitpicking begin!
[Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow looks really cool and authentic.

Lobo

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the design.

But I do have a nitpick: the front part looks too modern in my opinion, too curved I would say.

And the rear end in the back view should be a little less detailed.

Otherwise great work, as always! [Smile]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very neat, but I think it looks essentially contemporary with the Galileo and her sisters. A heavy version, perhaps.

The, uh, "visor" is kind of weird too. Certainly not bad, mind you. I don't not like it. But the ship does look like it is wearing sunglasses.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. Very nice, what program do you use again?

Oh, I think we need something like the rectangles on the rear. Less 'sleekness to the front' and more flimsy wing-like things on the side instead of right angles... It could fit as an Enterprise-C era Shuttle PERFECTLY I reckon! A predecessor to the Type VII? and Type V? shuttles from TNG! Sorta inbetween the Star Trek V model and the TNG models. (maybe just make the bussards a bit more Ambassador-coloured... and voila! You've even got the 'ribbed nacelles' like the big C.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought.
Since the "first" shuttles (Enterprise) have that transparent dome in front, why not move it to the top (dorsal) surface and keep the bow windows you have?

I'm assuming you want a shuttle design halfway between Enterprise and TOS...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some things you could experiment with would be aerodynamic surfaces and docking adapters - primitive technologies that aren't necessary by the time of TOS, but are still present in Archer's auxiliaries.

And landing legs. Big clumsy landing legs. The TOS shuttles had those, but they disappeared by the time of ST5. A pre-TOS shuttle could have some, even if there are none visible in the "Enterprise" shuttles.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Austin Powers: But I do have a nitpick: the front part looks too modern in my opinion, too curved I would say.
That would be a concession to aerodynamics. Given that deflector technology was probably in it's infancy around this time (at least on this scale) the shuttle would have to have some aerodynamic features in order to compensate for the limitations of any current shielding system.

quote:
And the rear end in the back view should be a little less detailed.
Why?

quote:
Sol System: Very neat, but I think it looks essentially contemporary with the Galileo and her sisters. A heavy version, perhaps.
Precisely. I do see this design still being used into the mid 23rd century, being used as light cargo shuttles or heavy personnel carriers.

quote:
The, uh, "visor" is kind of weird too. Certainly not bad, mind you. I don't not like it. But the ship does look like it is wearing sunglasses.
Yeah I wanted to do something different with that. Those grey lines are supposed to be slats that can fold down like a blind and block out any light or radiation if need be.
You'll notice however that one of the portholes has a single large shutter instead, I have no explanation for this except that I wanted to show a design link with the future Danube-Class.
Feel free to suggest a treknical reason for this.

quote:
AndrewR: Nice. Very nice, what program do you use again?
Paint Shop Pro 7.

quote:
Treknophyle: Just a thought.
Since the "first" shuttles (Enterprise) have that transparent dome in front, why not move it to the top (dorsal) surface and keep the bow windows you have?

Hmm...I don't quite follow you. Are you suggesting that I stick a great big black dome on top of the nose?

quote:
I'm assuming you want a shuttle design halfway between Enterprise and TOS...
That's the basic gist of it...although the original design predates "ENTERPRISE" by about 3 years. By basis for the design's look was the Daudalus, with just a pinch of Babylon 5.

quote:
Timo: Some things you could experiment with would be aerodynamic surfaces and docking adapters - primitive technologies that aren't necessary by the time of TOS, but are still present in Archer's auxiliaries.
If I ever get around to doing a top view, I do plan to show a dorsal docking hatch.
Well as I've said above; I did make a minor concession to aerodynamics in the shape of the nose, other than that there isn't much I can do accept slightly curving the edges of the pylons.
As for landing gear, I suppose I could find room for a TOS style foot arm in the aft undercut and I could also put in something on the underside of the nacelles.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been working on my own shuttle for the late 22nd c. I want it to look something like this: http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/HL-10/Small/ECN-1289.jpg

It's a mid 1960s lifting body. All it needs is some type of thrusters to get back up into orbit.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jack_Crusher
Member # 696

- posted      Profile for Jack_Crusher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this thing supposed to be a TOSized Voyager shuttle?

--------------------
Fry- How will we get out of this?
George Takei's head- Maybe we can use some kind of auto-destruct code like one-A, two-B, three-C...
(Bender's head blows up)
Bender- Now everybody knows!
-Futurama's obligatory Star Trek episode

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, that lifting body plane looks like what the Nova Class "waverider" might look like!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice work. [Big Grin] It really looks like a shuttle from the TOS era. Would it be cool to have an aquashuttle based on that design? It might prove to be quite interesting. Keep up the great work. [Big Grin]
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really like it. great works as always, of course!
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not a waverider, that's Farscape One! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

This design has since been revised.

(scroll to bottom)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps