Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Akira Cutaway (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Akira Cutaway
iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EAS i think. Not entirely sure. I'll try and find it when i have more time.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no canon or official deck count for the Akira-class. My own structural analysis gives the ship 17 decks excluding the pod.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which could have two decks! Tadaa!!!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

iam2xtreme
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for iam2xtreme         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/akira/akira-decks.jpg

there ya go. Straight from EAS on the Size of the akira class article. Click and see.

--------------------
"Marge, trying is the first step towards failure!!" Homer

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that analysis was done using the early inaccurate schematic.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Resistance
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ October 30, 2002, 21:18: Message edited by: Resistance ]

IP: Logged
Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If those are anti-matter holders on top of the reaction chamber, aren't they kinda close to the bridge?

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... That's a good point. Though, if the containment fails, the whole ship goes boom.... so it probably doesn't matter much where they are.

You might want to actually show the bridge behind the catamaran, though, since it's a fairly important location.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, is there anything to say that the Akira can't have a horizontal warp core!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, is there anything to say that the Akira can't have a horizontal warp core!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what be kind of cool..? A horizontal core in the aft pod with the transfer conduits running directly to the struts. Is the pod anywhere close to being big enough for that while still leaving room for the 50 pho-torp launchers it's supposed to have?

The core could eject aftwards if needed without anything being in the way.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

I'm not real sure where a good place for the core would be. The weapons pod would definitely be too crammed full of weapons IMO. Resistance's location is good, other than the distance to the engines being excessive. Having a horizontal core is all well and good, but where would you put this fabled core and how would it be better than the current placement?

I remember a fan(boy) suggesting that the Akira has two cores -- one under each of the "turbo-charger" things. It's not a completely bad idea. It equates to two small cores in a reasonably good placement. OTOH there'd be a complete lack of redundancy -- if only one of the cores went offline then the ship still couldn't go to warp, but then again, at least the ship would still have warp power for other (non engine) use.

I don't know. Again, I'm not sure there is any good location for the core(s).

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Resistance
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ October 30, 2002, 21:19: Message edited by: Resistance ]

IP: Logged
Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always have an emergency interconnect between the two cores so the ship might have reduced warp capacity.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with dual warp cores is that I can't think of any situation in which a ship needed just another core's worth of power.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps