Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Akira Cutaway (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Akira Cutaway
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, each of the two cores could be individually weaker. This might not be cost-effective if the duplication of hardware outweighed the lesser demands placed per core - but it COULD be the only practial choice, dictated by the ship's internal structure.

Just think of the weird machinery arrangements of amphibious attack ships in the real world.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, but we've seen other suggestions for places a warp core could go on an Akira and not need to be split into two individually inferior models.
Resistance
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

[ October 30, 2002, 21:20: Message edited by: Resistance ]

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That *may* be the core hatch, but it seems like, if it were, the navigational deflector machinery would run right though the core. Or the core would have to go through the nav. def. in the event of ejection. The deflector runs aft for a little ways behind it's exterior plate.

Edit: But now that I go back and look at your placement in the MSD, you have placed *directly* behind a somewhat shortened deflector (compared to other ships' deflectors, that is). I dig it. I am now officially out of nitpicks. Except that "Nacell" still has an "e" at the end [Smile]

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does seem likely that that's the core hatch, assuming it's not just some meaningless detail on the hull anyway. At any rate, I can't think of a better place to put a solitary core.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't that be the tractor beam emitter?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I considered that but I'm pretty sure the tractor emitter is further fwd, just below the deflector dish. You can clearly see it in this production sketch but it's also there in the final product.

BTW, that sketch shows the 3 remaining torpedo tubes (the only tubes out of the 15 that aren't in the pod) just above the deflector dish. Before anyone says "they're windows, not torp tubes", photorps were shown to be fired from that location in First Contact. And again, that hull detail also exists on the final product.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about a dorsal ejection hatch? Any marking on the dorsal surface that would work?

Guess why I want to know...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think that the Akira sports twin launchers port and starboard. Sue me. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

mparkert
Ex-Member

Hey check out this cool alien like table I have for sale :*SPAM URL REMOVED*

[ October 29, 2002, 15:05: Message edited by: TSN ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my curiousity is piqued.. could i have the URL so i could unobtrusively go to a public comp lab, sign up for fake accounts and bid a lot of made up money on that?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this thread is INSANE. I must make my own, ACCURATE akira class MSD.
Resistance
Ex-Member

I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THAT Proteus!!!!

This is for the nice people...the very few!!!

Done!!!!
 -

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insanely beautiful!!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent work! The watermark kinda spoils the effect, but I don't blame you for placing it there. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps