Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New-orleans class MSD (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: New-orleans class MSD
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent work! What program ar eyou using to create this?

I have a minor nit though: If they need to eject the warp core, they either have to jettison the lower thingamobob or the core would have to go through it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Excellent work! What program ar eyou using to create this?

I have a minor nit though: If they need to eject the warp core, they either have to jettison the lower thingamobob or the core would have to go through it.

Corel Draw 10

Yes you have right!
It was an big problem with this Warpcore!
I will place a "pipe" in the center of the lower container, so the core can "flush" through the "pipe" into space. [Smile]

Lobo

[ September 13, 2002, 11:14: Message edited by: Lobo ]

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Phlox:
^ But that would make at least six torpedo tubes, isn't that a few too many for a ship this size? Even if frigates are quite well armed.

Fully armed yes, but since these pods are probably inter-changeable it's reasonable to assume that under normal circumstances a New Orleans-Class ship will only carry one or two torpedo pods, while the other one or two pods contain sensors, cargo and the like.
The Kyushu could be an exception, in that the usual sensor/cargo pods were removed in favour of an all torpedo complement, in anticipation of the engagement with the Borg.
Other such improvisations could have been made on several of the other 39 ships at W359, indeed the Saratoga seams to have been outfitted with an unusually large set of weapons.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would assume however that said pods could be swapped out really quickly, and a supply was available... In practice, the only place they really could have gone for such an outfitting would probably be Utopia Planitia. I guess it's possible, but I'm of the opinion that all ships went as is. Pods can look the same on the outside, no?

UF link - one of the pics Mojo was working on included UP emptying out of anything that could fly... Including the half-built replacement for the USS Yamato. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind the idea that the NO is overloaded w/ torpedo launchers, actually. After all, it's called a "frigate", and we know how Starfleet hates to refer to their ships as warships. So, if they gave the NO a designation which immediately implies that it's a warship, I think it's safe to say the ship is very well-armed.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I will place a "pipe" in the center of the lower container, so the core can "flush" through the "pipe" into space.
Or you place the jettison hatch on the upperside and the deuterium storage beneath the core.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could just have it so that the lower pod can be dumped to free up the warpcore ejection hatch.

quote:
UF link - one of the pics Mojo was working on included UP emptying out of anything that could fly... Including the half-built replacement for the USS Yamato.
Some ship's names have all the bad luck. [Wink]
I do remember Mojo mentioning that he wanted a Galaxy at Wolf 359, I'm glad that he chose to use a half built one instead of one of the original six.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think the 'switchable pod' system would neatly answer the question of "where is the hangar?"

It is actually a quite elegant system - sub-designing each ship per mission. Place thrusters in the pods, and swapping them becomes no more difficult a task than redocking the Ent-D Saucer.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Wolf 359 -- if the Kyushu and Saratoga were unusual in that they carried extra weapons pods... then why didn't they offload civilians, like Jennifer and Jake Sisko?

Guess that nixes that... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev: yup, that's the one. We were trying to work out why there'd be an incomplete GCS at Wolf 359 without screwing up any NCC numbers we had or were going to run into from the first six. We rationalized that if a GCS were under construction at UP, it would be of the first batch - but we'd accounted for all of them (more or less) in the show, and fandom had more or less accepted that Starfleet wouldn't have let out contracts to build any more until after the battle of Wolf 359. So why would there be one under construction? We figured that if there were to be one, it would be one of the six replacements whose superstructures were broken up and hidden. And what better reason to build another one but to replace a lost ship - the Yamato - in much the same way as the space shuttle Endeavour was built to replace Challenger.

So whatever the GCS was in the planned pic, it may not have been the next USS Yamato; rather, it was an (as yet) unnamed ship under construction to replace her.

Mark

[ September 13, 2002, 16:51: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for the Saratoga, anyway, but its attachments never looked much like weapons to me.

"The Best of Both Worlds" (part 1) stretched from stardate 43989.1 (Enterprise picks up Shelby and heads for the New Providence colony) to 43998.5, which we might say counts for three and a half days or so, which seems like plenty of time to swap out science/cargo/etc. components and put in weaponry, assuming that the Kyushu (and any other New Orleans at the battle) were in the same system as an appropriately outfitted dock facility at the time. Of course, there is less time between Admiral Hanson announcing the formation of a fleet at Wolf 359 and the battle itself. So, you know. I don't know what I'm saying.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonderful work, Lobo!

But maybe time for an update again:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/neworleans.htm [Razz]

Watch the nacelle struts and the lower pod on the new photos (of the already famous series of caps by Starship Millennium). I just incorporated that into my own schematics (although I admit they are quite coarse and could need more details).

BTW, I would expect the shuttlebay just where it is on the Galaxy, only half as tall. The engineering hull is just too much tapered that something could be in the blown away rear end. Shuttlebays in the pods may be an additional option, but I would expect one already in the basic configuration.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. I've revised the MSD.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/mrbrown5/Spike.jpg

Lobo

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Nice.

So, you seem to have settled on using the pods as shuttlebays, or the top ones in any case. What are you nailing the ventral pod for?

And regarding the warp core - looks like it can be ejected upwards, thus removing the need to push if through the ventral hole. However, there is no ejection port to match it.

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't seem to view any of Lobo's pictures.

Just something about Bernd's schematics at his site... the bottom 'pod' that we see now is attached with a mini-pylon-thingy has a protruding round nodule on its anterior surface.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/neworleans/kyushu-c2.jpg

It would be visibile in a side view protruding from the mini-pylon.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps