Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-TNG Shuttle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-TNG Shuttle
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something new for you folks, a 24th Century long-range shuttle, based on a design for the Korolev-Class Captain's Yacht that we're developing over at ASDB.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like everything except the "ball thingies" at the ends of the nacelles. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a nice shuttle but the decals looks more like Post-TNG. But that's not so really important!

Lobo

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, most post-TOS ships have no balls.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lobo: The markings are indeed of the post-TNG era.

Jason & Mike: Correct, nacelle balls aren't that common but there's nothing to say that a 24th Century design can't have them. If I recall correctly the Enterprise-E has a set of balls on the MSD, although they are internal components and cannot be seen on the exterior.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no i meant they have NO BALLS!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Word.

If anything qualifies as a runabout, this should.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

That would be nice, if it weren't for the fact that the Danube-Class were the first ever Runabouts.
The distinction between a long range shuttle and a Runabout, as far as I can see is simple; Runabouts are mini starships complete with weapons, a scientific sensor suite and modular mission pods.
A long range shuttle is just a big shuttle with no weapons, a standard sensor package and an inflight movie. [Razz]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not arguing canon here. I'm just saying if anything qualifies as a runabout, this would. Since it isn't "real" we don't have to worry about that, though, do we?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Fair enough.
I hate to split hairs like this but I do try to keep my designs as consistant with cannon as possible.

For those who are interested here is the Korolev-Class Captain's Yacht on which this shuttle is based and an set of deck plans to boot.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, this gets into the realm of picky rationalizations that I often hate, but perhaps the term "runabout" was something new specifically for the Danube-class. (Along with the runabouts being the first small-size starships with their own NCC- numbers.)

However, the distinction between long-range shuttles and runabouts is probably sufficient already. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a cross btw the Sovvie Captain's Yacht and Data's Scout. Very nice, but aesthetically hardly Pre-TNG.
More like, Post-VOY.

If anything is a long-range shuttle, it's the class the SS Raven belongs to.
The thing is basically a buffed-up Runabout, I can only dream of how the Maquis would've tweaked it if they'd gotten hold of a few. Mmmm...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

To quote from the DS9 Tech manual:-

"The runabout is a true multirole starship with engine efficiencies and cargo capacities proportional to larger vessels"

This does seam to clearly define what a Runabout is and when you take into account the dialogue in (DS9) "Paradise" it's clear that the term runabout is a relatively recent one.
The confusion with long range shuttles and Runabouts probably arise because of the similar size and configuration of the craft.
It may also be worth noting that a long range shuttle was mention in the TMP radio chatter, apparently they have been in use for some time. Indeed you may also classify Spock's "Surak" courier as such.

Nimpin: I think the Raven is just a little too big to be considered a shuttle, more like a small science/colony vessel. However given it's small size and apparent landing capabilities, in it's day it may have filled some of the roles that the Runabouts would later take over.

As for the style it was based largely on Proberts early Type-7 concepts (this is most evident in that Yacht), hence the forward opening door and connected cockpit window.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
As for the style it was based largely on Proberts early Type-7 concepts (this is most evident in that Yacht), hence the forward opening door and connected cockpit window.

Ha! I thought the same thing. But for being pre-TNG there are too many corners. Seems something Eaves would have come up with. For pre-TNG, I'd add some more organic lines, for the front window and the pylons for example.

You could try to add some bussard collectors instead of type 6-hexagonal front ends for the nacelles.

Did I forget something? Oh yes, looks fantastic (as always). [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice design, especially the rear fantail. I like the fact that it's not flat bottomed, like usual shuttles.

It's going to have some sort of landing skids, I assume?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps