Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Two New Designs

Author Topic: Two New Designs
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are my first actual attempts at semi-realistic diagrams rather than plain line art... they're nowhere near as detailed as I would have liked, but I'm fairly satisfied with them...

First, we have the Tetsuo-class destroyer. I planned this ship as a more modern and smaller companion to the Akira-class, and it ended up looking like an Akira/Saber/Sovereign/Nebula blend of some kind. It's something slightly above 200 meters long... the only noteworthy facts about the ship that I've nailed down are the 8 forward torpedo tubes in the weapons pod (continuing the overgunned Akira tradition). Manga and Anime fans may note that the name "Tetsuo" was deliberately chosen; Tetsuo was one of the principal characters in "Akira."

Secondly, the Falcon-class interceptor. This one had an interesting history. I started out trying to make an "ugly" fighter design, something along the lines of the A-10. However, it sort of grew on me as time went on. The ship is midway between a shuttle and a runaout in size, and owes more to shuttle design lineage than the Peregrine. Speaking of which, like the Tetsuo, this name was chosen to complement "Peregrine," and has no relation to the F-16.

Comments are always welcome... expect to see some scanned character work sometime later in the week. I work best in pencil, so that stuff should be far superior to these fledging attempts at computer work.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[This message has been edited by Ryan McReynolds (edited June 28, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If these are your first attempts in realistic looking ships, wow! I didn't manage to include so many details in five years of drawing ships. Only a minor point: The destroyer looks a bit angular. Maybe the saucer and pod edges could be just a little rounded.

------------------
"The past, the present and the future, they exist as one, they breathe together." (Annorax, VOY: "The Year of Hell")
Ex Astris Scientia

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I was a little unclear above... I've been drawing realistic starship diagrams on paper for a decade; this is only my first attempt using the computer exclusively, without tracing a scanned image or anything. Yeah, I guess the Tetsuo is a little angular now that you mention it. Since these were really just fledging attempts, I probably won't correct it any time soon; I'm concentrating on pumping out some new stuff instead.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[This message has been edited by Ryan McReynolds (edited June 28, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good!!!

Both of them!

------------------
Wanted: Experienced Kamikaze Pilot

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your ships. Great work. But the Tetsuo-class looks to me like the Federation version of a Jem'Hadar attack ship. Still, I like 'em both and wait anxiously for more.

------------------
"Some people call me the Space Cowboy. Yeah! Some call me the Gangster of Love. Some people call me Maurice. Whoo hoo! 'Cause I speak of the Pompatus of Love!" - Steve Miller Band's The Joker

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Burnsspeak*Excellent

------------------
Fabrux's Starship Page

Cargile
Nobody Special
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Cargile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them. Very interesting. I'd like to see the pencil stuff as well.

------------------
I was right in the middle of a f*cking reptile zoo. And somebody was giving booze to these goddam things."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryan: I think I have understood you perfectly. I know it's difficult to do computer graphics if you have only used pencil and ruler so far. Even though I have been working with CAD software for several years (real technical drawings, cicuit diagrams and such), my first tries to to starships didn't look very realistic at all.

Keep your drawings coming!

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: "Practice, practice, PRACTICE!"

It takes a lot of practice to learn how to translate a conceptual idea in your head into a graphic represenatation. The ships you showed us convey what they are pretty well. I look forward to seeing more designs as you get experience.

Keep sliding the new ones under our noses. You'll get better even if you don't follow anyones advice but your own.

--Baloo

------------------
"All the wrong people have a good opinion of themselves."
--Baloo
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps