Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Original Trek ships... IMPRESSIVE !!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Original Trek ships... IMPRESSIVE !!!
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets see. huge pulse phasers, multi-phasic regenerative armor, energy collecting shields, 6 quantumn torpedo launchers, 360 degree super phaser (with blue beams!), and super maneuverability! nothing screams fanboy there. a lot of the designs have tons of weapons slung everywhere. fanboyish. you can tell what ships were used in the kitbashs (one of them even has a mostly intact Danube class runabout as the secondary hull!). some bad designs. the paint jobs are horribly thick and sculpey is rough. some bad model jobs (especially the painting). i'm not the best modeler out there, and i don't do anything (in terms of scratchbuilding) that is too terribly ambitious, but i sure as hell don't use a 6 inch paint brush. John Payne's scratchbuilds really do it for me. they are superbly made, are great designs, and aren't (too) terribly fanboy. i hate to be so blunt with criticism, especially with people i don't know, but it's the truth in my opinion. these ships are the kind i would have been really impressed with when i was 15 years old (and even now i think there are some cool elements), but i'm not impressed now. i've seen too much really good work.
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to put the link for that lit Voyager model from Beyond Antares...

http://www.beyondantares.co.uk/gallery/ships/images/voyager-lit-rear.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lightsheet. Sort of.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm interesting - thanks. Lightsheet could be used to make props like PADDS or do Okudagram-like displays... no?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some really good designs at Feyman where it is hard to guess what they were made of. In this light, I find it easy to ignore the sometimes silly specs. Calling something a "Federation First Strike Warship" is certainly awful, but it is still a good work.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When designing ships there is always the temptation to add in some cool features that could be heavy weapons emplacements, some fancy shield emitter or what-have-you. I think that allowances should be made for the plastic modelers because unlike the CG 3D modelers or 2D artists like myself, they are restricted by the materials of their medium and the time and effort it takes to build one of these things.
Personally I have a bunch of outlandish and fanboyish ship designs on my hard drive, but they're purely for my own enjoyment. After all this is all just a fun hobby at the end of the day and it's nice to pretend sometimes that Star Trek could be a little more like Star Wars imagine what your ships would look like wizzing around blowing stuff up.

As for the blue phasers; what's wrong with that? the old TOS phasers were blue weren't they?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For scratchbuilds, I much prefer fast lightly armed cutters to behemoth battleships.....Does the federation really want to make first contact with a new race in a giant overly-armed monster with extra nacelles and armor? I can see it now: Hi, we come in peace on a mission of expl...what!? They're firing on us? NOT AGAIN!?!

I personally try to keep things within the realm of possibility for my fleet (set during the Dominion War)and that means nothing more combat oriented than my Defiants (all four of them!)and my lone Promethus. [Wink]
...still...to each his own. [Big Grin]

Ug! I am running out of space for all of these! Time for another bookshelf!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Does the federation really want to make first contact with a new race in a giant overly-armed monster with extra nacelles and armor? I can see it now: Hi, we come in peace on a mission of expl...what!? They're firing on us? NOT AGAIN!?!

Constellation-class captains would have been buggered then.

The TOS phasers were blue. And red. And occasionally torpedoes. Mad.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
The TOS phasers were blue. And red. And occasionally torpedoes. Mad.

Or, to quote Andy Probert in the E-D blueprints booklet, "In classic Star Trek, the phasers came from the Special Effects Department."

quote:
And originally posted by Reverend:
When designing ships there is always the temptation to add in some cool features that could be heavy weapons emplacements, some fancy shield emitter or what-have-you.

When I was designing ships for a sim group a few years ago, the commander of a new ship wanted it to be an Akira (shocker), but he wanted new special techno zhorlord fanboyish systems on it, so I ballsed it & used that "K-layer subspace concealment" thing from the DS9TM & gave him a Trekkified version of the pulse plasma cannon as seen on EarthForce Omega-class destroyers on B5; I figured it was a nice semi-non-lethal alternative. He never DID figure out the difference.

quote:
Also posted by Reverend:
I think that allowances should be made for the plastic modelers because unlike the CG 3D modelers or 2D artists like myself, they are restricted by the materials of their medium and the time and effort it takes to build one of these things.

True. Plastic is a BITCH. I've got this great single-engine-lock design ready to be worked on, but I can't find a right-sized saucer. I need something the diameter of a CD & I tried gluing together several fucked-up misburned CD coasters I had lying around & then shaping them, but that proved..."unwise."
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Does the federation really want to make first contact with a new race in a giant overly-armed monster with extra nacelles and armor? I can see it now: Hi, we come in peace on a mission of expl...what!? They're firing on us? NOT AGAIN!?!

Constellation-class captains would have been buggered then.

Mabye....if the ships they were using (by Stargazers end) were not sooooo old and outdated(atleast by federation standards).
....still, you do bring up a good point: to many species, a Consta=ilation might be the biggest ship they've ever seen, while others might have kilometers long ships with really sucky technology!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cassio
Member # 795

- posted      Profile for Cassio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I post this thread, was only to show you some interesting designs. [Wink] Not all of them are good, of course, but some of them are.
That guy is just making that ships for hobby (as Marcus Nee and John Payne), remember. He send me this note:

I dropped by the forum and looked at some of the comments. Boy, everyone focused on that Magellan class, which was a lark anyway. I know it's lame, but it was a fun exercise in building. The purpose of my site is to inspire modelers and show how I build some of my stuff. As a result I tend to put most of my stuff up, old and new, good and lame, so that new modelers can see what is possible. If you could pass on a message to your fellow members letting them know that the Magellan is not a showcase ship and that it was an experiment in building techniques. Also that I focus mostly on kitbashing, and as a result many of my designs are derived from available materials.

I have never worked in 3D modeling programs, mainly because my real job is so heavily computer driven. The modeling allows me to do something physical and tangible as a break from herding 1's and 0's.

Again, thanks for the interest and support. I appreciate it.

Peace, Michael

Let�s remember that Star Trek ISN�T real. [Smile] Is just a good scifi show, with some good starships. [Wink]

--------------------
Brasil Starships
http://members.fortunecity.com/wendhausen

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The way I see it, the more wild designs, even if you don't like them, force us ship designers/ modelers to think beoynd the old "saucer and blob with nacelles" theory of federation designs.

...and as for alien ships: I say anything goes!
The less humanly concieved the ship looks the better in my opinion...thats why I like the Breen ships so. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...and as for alien ships: I say anything goes!
The less humanly concieved the ship looks the better in my opinion...thats why I like the Breen ships so. [Big Grin]

but you forget, the Breen ships were humanly conceived. [Wink]
IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although far too many fanboys consider their creator to be a sub-human.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Is that an Eaves design? I really like his stuff alot.....most of it just looks a bit too advanced for the species' we know (Klingons, Romulans) when shown on Enterprise.
What ever happened to Steinbach, anyway? Excommunication?

I think the Breen ship is one of the best designs for an alien ship in a loooong time. [Big Grin]

...after all, I don't build ships that I don't like. No Krenim or malon ship will be turning up in my collections anytime soon. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps