Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » scratchbuild challenge for cojoker (and whoever thinks they could do it). (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: scratchbuild challenge for cojoker (and whoever thinks they could do it).
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know - I wish the kits used to be 10 bucks a pop here so I could buy a heap of them. But They ended up being something like $30->$50->$100 for them (The Ertl and Monogram Kits).

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasa usually able to spring for the ERTL kits one at a time... they were about $30. But, there's no way I could afford to buy 5 or 6 of each one so as to have spare parts for kitbashing... though, that would be very cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One question for all the experienced modelers out there: Wouldn't it be possible to make molds from the parts of, say, the ERTL Ent-D and just make your own casts from that mold?

If so, how do you do it? I'd love to know - and try!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "how do you do it" part is where it gets tricky.
It would no doubt be possible to make molds from the kits and then modify said molds. However, IIRC, the materials are somewhat pricey. We did stuff like that in college, but getting all the materials might cost a pretty penny for the casual enthusiast.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, so much for my theory.

Really bad luck. I thought it would be easier and cheaper.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a nice tutorial on casting parts at www.thomasmodels.com, or at least there was 3 site revisions a go.

[edit: i found the tutorial. ]

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The scratchbuild Challenge has now been met!
I finished the Ageian class USS Weber (in honor of Mr. Rune's great illustration).
The pics of the Weber will be posted on my picturetrail.com account tonight after 7pm eastern satandard time. Search for albums by cojoker
Aside from adding twin forward torpedo launchers and some needed additional lifeboats, I kept very faithful to the illustration.
This challenge was fun, but I now need to devote my modeling time to the Dominion battleship: so no new "challenges" for a while, Mr. Extreme! [Big Grin]
Of course, your comments are welcome. (about the model, not my poor typing skills!)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

How in the world did you get a model built so fast?

Can you please post a link to the pics?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The model only took me a couple of days.
The long wait was mainly due to work interference and having to re-create the saucer after the first one (resin epoxy needs to be exact) failed to cure properly.
I hoped to have pics up yesterday, but photography took longer than expected, and I'll have to scan the pics tonight.
Your opinion is of particular intrest, Aban!
I named the ship Weber after your ill. after all! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

It just blows me away that you were able to create an entire model that quickly. I can't wait to see the pics.

The ship in my illustration was named after a pal of mine, Olivia Weber. So the homage is actually going to her [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Okay, here are the new pics!
Crappy photography aside, I think the ship turned out very well. [Big Grin]
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1301771&uid=657989&members=1

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oh... sweeet.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Thanks! Anything you'd improve upon?
While researching screenshots for this project, I've become intrested in possibly scratchbuilding a couple of the new Klingon ships....or mabye the Romulan ship that looks like the Valdore class warbird....

[ November 15, 2002, 13:41: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, amazing little ship! It looks as if it jumped out of the game. I have a question though; when you made the shuttlebay for the USS Saratoga, you did use the Ertl 1/2500 Enterprise-D right?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, all my ships are 2500th. My apartment is too small for a fleet of larger ships! [Big Grin]
The challenge with building Saratoga was to make something a bit original modelwise....and I'd chopped off the bay doors to customize the Calisto!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps