Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Transformers Movie Trailer Online! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Transformers Movie Trailer Online!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Na-na-NAH-na-naaaaaah!! The first full trailer for the movie is out!

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/transformers/

Just view the trailer, watching it fullscreen asks you to install some spyware viewer or something first.

Anyway - WOW! Only fleeting glimpses at the Transformers themselves, but it still gives me the chills. I'm still iffy on many of the designs, but at least the vehicle modes look like real vehicles again.

Just to be clear, though: do NOT look for a good story in this film. It's a friggin' MICHAEL BAY movie, for which a well-thought-out story is usually an afterthought. However, we'll get to see oodles of GIANT ROBOT SMASH done incredibly well, which is reason enough to plunk down your $10. Roll out!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the trailer is any indication, Michael Bay has completely missed the whole mood and idea of Transformers the show. The Transformers themselves do look cool though. I won't pay to see this but I will check it out when its on the tube or on DVD.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be there to see this movie with every other nerd that grew up in the 80s. It's not the greatness known as G1, just yet another version like the dozen others that followed.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yick.

Aslo, HAY STROKES PALCEMNET LAWLZ. I bet they have at LEAST one song on the soundtrack.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I'm even less interested in the movie now than I was before.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the trailer by and large, except for that little nauseatingly cute poolkid and the obvious PG-13:ness of it all, but then again this is Transformers, not anime.

Oh and good luck making us care about some jock dude and Vogue girl hanging from a building and maybe-falling-but-probably-not when there are 20' robots flying around.

The design of the robots remind me of the APU:s from Zion Defense Force and, like I said before, RoboCop 2, the junkie-robot, which is good.
Didn't like the attempt to establish the new transforming-sound, it was nothing like the original, no homage of any kind, more like a Peter Jackson ring-wraith whisper.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has the movie been rated yet? Personally, I'm hoping that it gets a PG rating, because I know my son (who's in first grade) will want to see it. There are people my age who grew up with this stuff that would want massive carnage, but they need to remember that when the series premiered on TV, they were pre-teens themselves. Anything targeting that age range is going to have some cutesy and campy stuff.

So, yeah, I'm not expecting the story to be anything earth-shattering, but I am expecting lots of eye-candy.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want massive carnage. Except maybe in an abstract way, to establish that the Decepticons are TeH eViL�. I don't like how Prime's head transforms along with the rest of him. I went to the forums where the creatos of this movie were posting about the development process, and I lost all faith once I noticed that they were blatantly ignoring any criticisms of what they wanted to do. And once again, they're not robots. I know the original tagline said "robots in disguise", but aren't Robots are non-sentient constructs under another's control. That's what the original Diaclone constructs were, but once they established the Transformers as being sentient aliens, that flew out the window. At the least they're artificial life forms -- like Data, but I will always refer to them simply as inorganic life forms.

--Jonah

P.S. The only bit from the trailer that I liked was the helicopter (I still think of him as Vortex) revealing himself at the military base.

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually they're energy based sparks inside metallic bodies.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say that qualifies as inorganic.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least until you get to the Beast Wars. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term "robot" in science fiction goes well beyond the original, real-world meaning of a non-thinking, programmed machine.

In Asimov's works (and in Futurama), the word "robot" is used for them, and it works better than calling them inorganic lifeforms (IOLFs?), artificial intelligences or cybernetic entities. It's also catchier too.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah Bender is more than your standard real-world robot.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
I'll be there to see this movie with every other nerd that grew up in the 80s. It's not the greatness known as G1, just yet another version like the dozen others that followed.

You seriously need to re-visit those old episodes before attaching words like "greatness" to the G1 anything.
The nostalgic fondness of your ten-year-old self of yesteryear for the cartoon will not hold up to reality, i'm afraid.

As to the movie, it wont win any awards for story, but will probably be as good (better hopefully!) as the typical comic-book turned movie schtick.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I agree. A friend of mine is a diehard "if it wasn't animated in the 80s, it's CRAP" kind of guy. When the first season came out on DVD, he was first in line to pick it up. He sold them off a month later, and doesn't want to talk about Transformers anymore. [Wink] Seriously, it does NOT hold up over time, the second and third seasons even less so.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps