Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Demolition Man (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Demolition Man
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Demolition Man for the first time in several years last night. I did a search on here and didn't see anything more than a few passing mentions, so I thought I'd start a thread...

I think this movie is greatly underrated. It does have some really bad elements, but the potential for a great story is there. And gotta love Sandra Bullock at that age...

Firstly, this movie came out in 93; did people really expect synaptic behavior modification, cryogenic suspension, and the total degradation of LA into a war-torn wasteland by 1996? I was only a wee bairn in 93, but I don't really remember that kind of incredible expectation.

Also, wouldn't those synaptic devices freeze with the rest of you? And how is it re-forming your synapses while you're frozen solid? And if you're not frozen solid then why don't you age (not to mention how do you breathe or feed...)?

I also think it'd take more than 40 years to turn LA into that kind of dystopia - and where is the rest of the country during all of this? The US just let LA, San Andreas, and the third city I always forget secede? And why do the scraps live in the sewers instead of just moving out of the city?

I also wonder why there'd be a museum of violence and firearms in a society where people are absolutely horrified by the very suggestion of disorder and violence. Why would anyone wish to visit the place?

On the upside, the ubiquitous computing, RFID chips in the hands, and the way the SAPD was tied into absolutely everything via their AI was pretty bang-on as far as I'm concerned. The first two are well on their way, and the third is completely logical. In fact I loved watching the computer alert the officers to the two dead guards, showing a 3D map and then jumping to the live warden, describing his injuries. ("Do you wish to assign a coroner?")

So it does have its logical plotholes, but I think its description of the future is very logical (even the dystopian elements - omniscient authorities and behavior modification might not be too far off in some parts of the world...).

Thoughts? Flames? Groans?

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He still didn't figure out the seashells.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well those elements you mentioned were by no means new and original when this film came out. It has elements of Logans Run, THX1138, Brave New World, 1984 and a bunch of other stuff that's been knocking around for ages.

That said it's still a fun film and a favourite of mine when I was in school, though mostly because of Wesley Snipes, who completely stole the show right from under Stallone's nose. So did Nigel Hawthorne.

I've actually been waiting for a decent DVD release to come out for this film for ages as the current one is very bare bones and I've always suspected there was quite a bit cut out of the film. Nothing specific but there are a few edits that seam abrupt and jumps around a bit, as if a bunch of connected scenes were cut in half and re-assembled for time.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Angeles. I think it was supposed to be a merging of the two cities.

The whole fast food war was a bit out there, with TACO BELL of all places winning, and becoming the upscale posh place to eat!?

They really needed to place the beginning a little further in the future to be believable, what with all that cryo/re-education stuff.

I was with Stallone's character on one point - that VR stuff was just freaky.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Schwarzeneggar Presidential Library was right there in my mind when Arnie was elected California's Governor. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! I heard her mention that and I was like zomg, cuz that could happen and they had no idea ;P I remember when Arnie announced his candidacy on Leno, and there was an echo of that line from D-Man in my head, but I couldn't place it at the time. I just remember saying to my friend, "It's like a joke in a scifi where someone goes to the future and finds out Schwarzenegger was president or something..."

And you know, I'm woeeeefully under...watcher...ed when it comes to scifi movies made before about 1998. Never seen Logan's Run, 1984 (loved the book though), Brave New World (ditto), The Day the Earth Stood Still, or any of those classics. So excuse my ignorance, a bit. [Smile]

And about San Angeles, it was the merging of three cities, I thought... LA, San Something, and another San Something...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think San Angeles was called "Los Angeles - San Diego - Santa Barbara Metroplex"?
I think I read somewhere they got the name from a early draft of Bladerunner, which would make sense as the opening shot of Demolition Man is a clear homage to BR.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no filmed version of 1984 that is a classic. Or Brave New World either.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Might explain why I haven't seen them.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The John Hurt version of 1984 is pretty good.

On Japanese videotapes Taco Bell wasn't Taco Bell. The megacorp was changed to Pizza Hut, since there aren't any Taco Bells in Japan. I suspect that in other regions the restaurant was also changed.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McDonalds in some. Burger King in others.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

It was Taco Bell in the UK. Though we don't have any that I'm aware of. Perhaps Brits are more psycologically prepared to deal with references that we don't get.

And the 1984 version of 1984 was definitive.
Logan's Run was just camp silliness with a bunch of amoral hippies looking like twats running around in jumpsuits. Still a classic though.
Brave New World on the other hand just freaked me out, what with the little green children and the Shakespeare quoting loon.

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
On Japanese videotapes Taco Bell wasn't Taco Bell. The megacorp was changed to Pizza Hut, since there aren't any Taco Bells in Japan. I suspect that in other regions the restaurant was also changed.

quote:
Originally posted by Saltah'na:
McDonalds in some. Burger King in others.

I'm not sure how that would work. Didn't they actually show them eating tacos, complete with Taco Bell wrappers? Not to mention the external shots of the restaurant.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) You never know - since Taco Bell isn't in Japan, they may be able to read the English text but wouldn't be able to understand what a "taa-ko beh-ruu" is in their language. Or, they could simply have changed the sign and done another take with the table.

2) Logan's Run had some of the coolest gun effects ever.

3) Apparently according to Sly himself, THIS is how you use the three seashells.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who wants to go to the beach and test that out?
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps