Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SG - Sizes of Puddle Jumpers? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: SG - Sizes of Puddle Jumpers?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to recall in SG1 that they said the puddle jumpers (as yet uknown by that name) were "almost exactly" the size of the gate, or something to that effect - that they *barely* squeezed through with maybe an inch to spare, or less. Yet, in the images below from SGA "Thirty-Eight Minutes," you can see the jumper seems almost a foot or so smaller than the gate. You guys think I'm totally off on the size? The Stargates don't seem to be as wide as the jumpers look from inside, either.

-

-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The regular interior set IS slightly exaggerated from the exterior set piece, as has been noted in various commentaries. The reason is so they have more room to move around with the cameras on the inside, and separate the walls to similar effect. The mobile jumper exterior is finished on the inside too, in the first seaason was only used for less detailed shots and entry-exit shots. From the second season onwards this piece was finished to match the larger interior set, though it's still slightly smaller.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reference I remember like that is Carter saying that it looks like it was "designed to fit through the gate." But I don't ever recall them talking about clearance or anything.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the "field" gate prop with a 1:1 representation of O'Neil for reference:

-

According to wikipedia, they're 22 feet in diameter. Subtract a few feet for the ring structure itself, and you still have a lot of room to play with for a jumper.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one of those things for my front yard...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? MacGyver?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Yeah. He can make a stargate out of a bottle cap, a mouthpiece to a seussophone, and a box of mouse entrails.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, I meant a light-up gate prop. BUt hey, if RDA wants to come over and have a beer, daz cool too.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To tell you the truth I'm really bad at figuring out sizes in my head - I mean for example, if someone says "a 12x12 foot room," I just can't visualize it.

As for this 22 feet...assuming it's an exact 22 feet, that would seem to indicate the number 22 is somehow significant - or it could just be a coincidence, in which case its measurements in Ancient might be significant? I only wonder in case there's some hidden bit of mythology here, some Roman numerology or something, or if it's just arbitrary.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Well, in THAT case you have to start doing stuff like questioning the design of the stargate in the first place, like why the backup activation procedure involves the PHYSICAL dialing of a GIANT STONE RING...

OTOH, it could simply be rooted in cultural carryovers. For example, car lanes and train tracks have always been that wide, because that's how wide a lane you'd need to maneuver a two-horse carriage. The stargate, designed to carry both people and people-carried cargo, was probably meant to be big enough to get four or five people through abreast. It probably wasn't designed for large cargo or beasts of burden, or else more of the alien planets we've seen would have actual RAMPS instead of stone steps up to their gates... Then again, they may have had the idea for puddle jumpers from the beginning (as was shown in the Atlantis pilot, they had jumpers "several million years ago").

Mark

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to say - maybe that is the size of the event horizon of those wormholes that are created - but then I remembered the super-gates.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere in the Alterans' home galaxy, there's probably a large beast of burden that was used to transport their heavy cargo in their pre-industrial days. Thus, the diameter of the Stargate is probably just wide enough to accommodate two of those animals' rear ends.

Think I'm only joking? Read this! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It's funny, I was going to mention that myself in my post. The whole two-horses' asses chariot rut wagon trolley train tunnel solid rocket booster thing.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I was going to say - maybe that is the size of the event horizon of those wormholes that are created - but then I remembered the super-gates.

Also, the dude who created his own Stargate in Sam's basement from stuff he got on eBay, made his about the size of a hula hoop.

Mark

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Rail gauges vary wildly.)

((Well, for milder values of wild.))

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.