Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Hereos 2x02 Lizards $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Hereos 2x02 Lizards $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seemed slow-paced but full of exposition, which is fine with me. We know now for certain that Claire can regenerate limbs; that HRG explained everything to his family (or at least the mom - we haven't seen the son around while they talk about secret stuff [or while Claire dips her hands into boiling water]); and that Angela and Kaito used to sleep together (o_O;.

Also, two more duplicate abilities - the healer in Mexico had a duplicate of Parkman's, and we find that Takezo Kensei had a duplicate of Claire's. I wonder if there's rhyme or reason to the descendancy? I mean, Flight + Pyrokinesis doesn't seem to equal tissue regeneration...

*snap* Almost forgot - Peter can throw blue bolts of... plasma?? I thought at first it was TK until I remembered that there's no visual effect for TK in Heroes (I was reminded when he used it on Thug #2's rifle before he punched him). Is that perhaps from Sprague? But if it's radiation, it should be causing cancer, not throwing people about. Maybe he got it from Sylar and I just don't remember? And how is he using these powers without being aware of it? I thought he had to recall the person he 'learned' ("Kirby'd" might be a better term ;P) it from...or maybe that's just until he gets it down? Or it was just a sort of mental aid to focus?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is some issue with abilities being exactly the same from person to person, being based on an individual's own DNA. Perhaps West doesn't fly in the sense of Nathan's anti-gravity, but more like magnetic levitation like Magneto? Also, Kensei doesn't seem to regenerate as much as ressurect ("Try again next time around" he said, or something to that effect). Kensei actually died and then came back. Only time Claire hasn't immediately regenerated is when she had that stick in her brain.

And about Peter, it always seemed he needs to think about the person to use the ability. Maybe now, seeing as he doesn't remember the people, he has to think about what it is he wants to do, and if he has an ability to do that thing, he can do it. So, he wanted to get out of the ropes, and his body "remembered" DL and he phased through them. As for what these blue balls are, I'm not entirely sure but he was using the same stuff in "Five Years Gone" in his battle with Sylar... So maybe its a refined, distilled form of Ted's radiation? Or closer to the EMP Ted used to escape...?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Mexican healer, I thought her power was the ability to detect diseases in other people's bodies. I don't think she could read minds like Parkman. Also the creepy kid who likes Claire, I think his flying might be the result of his ability to manipulate the weather/atmosphere. At least thats what I thought when I saw him hovering during the storm in the first episode. Maybe he's like Storm from X-Men.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now *that* would be a kickass power.

Mexican healer woman again - Hmm, you may be right...it's just the visual effects and sounds seemed similar to when Parkman is trying to read a mind - the jumps and sort of 'humming' noises. Maybe she even *is* a healer, some watered-down form of Linderman who can cure diseases but not mend tissue. (Getting pretty far-fetched here, I know.)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember one of the graphic novels involving future Peter showed him gaining the electrical power, but nothing in "our" timeline. I suppose we just have to assume that he got it from Sylar or from someone he met before having his memory wiped, his clothes nicked and getting tied up in a shipping container?

This week upped the tempo a little, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed that the storyline with Hiro and Takezo panned out in the way we all predicted. Hopefully they're just using that to make us feel settled before doing something unexpected. Takezo's power certainly backs up the theory that he could be the big bad in Molly's nightmares. Presumably he wouldn't succumb to illness, as well as arrow hits? So he could still be alive and kicking in the present day.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the woman who met the two kids was anything other than a little extra spookum, though, to push their anxiety along. I didn't get the impression that she necessarily had any "real" power.

I thought I read somewhere that they were going to be repeating powers. (How's that for definitive?)

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol: I wouldn't know about that; the sound effect used was the same for Parkman's telepathy.

MNW: The graphic novel for the premiere seems to suggest it's pure flight, like Nathan's.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

*points to HopefulNebula* See? So there. ;P

Anyway, I like the fact of repeated powers. Makes it feel a little less like X-Men.

And Johnny, I'm not sure I follow you. Why does Takezo's healing/resurrecting (whichever, see my comment below) have to do with Molly's nightmares? And illness isn't the only thing that kills you; there is such a thing as old age. Telomeres shorten, transcription errors are made, glial cells go stellate. The body wears down then shuts down.

So about Takezo's power; I still think it's a duplicate of Claire's. I know he died and *then* healed, but I'm willing to chalk it up to dramatic license. Or, that could have been the first time he ever manifested. I did catch a comment about 'next time around' but I rather thought he was talking about a belief in reincarnation...that could be personal bias though.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it kinda sucks that some people share the same power, though I guess from a creative standpoint it makes sense as you don't want to run out of ideas for powers.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ There'd probably be people saying "how come everyone has a different power?" if there weren't any repetitions.

Oh, the other reason I think Takezo might be in Molly's nightmares is because the voice that Parkman heard while she was asleep in Four Months Later sounded a bit like him. It could be someone completely different though. And yes, people die of old age. I suppose I consider that an illness of sorts, since it involves the degeneration of the body.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Then it begs the question of whether Claire and Takezo are immortal, seeing that they can't seem to die. Yeah I know that if something is stuck in Claire's body than she can't regenerate, but still it's not quite the same as dying and staying dead.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yes, but aging is not a 'disease' or 'injury'; it might seem so, but it's a programmed degradation combined with simple entropic decay of genetic information. Lifeforms are designed to die; if they weren't, entropy and statistics would demand errors in new cells, causing malfunctioning tissues. It might take a very very long time, but it would happen.

What I really wonder is how long Claire can have something stuck in her brain. Her autopsy had already begun in that episode which would indicate the medical examiner didn't find a pulse or any other reason to believe she was alive. So, her cells can survive without oxygen for an extended period of time which would indicate she has a *massively* changed biochemistry which should preclude her breeding at all. Unless we invoke some weird concept like "she has an energy field which reverses the death and decay of the cells before repairing the tissues" or some equally fantastic notion.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of their powers makes any sense, so I wouldn't worry too much.

As for ageing, the way I understood it was that over time, repeated cell duplication leads to degradation as small errors begin to creep in and compound as time goes on. Though I take issue with the word "designed", lets not open that particular can of worms. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, though, it's not so much the lack of oxygen that kills your cells ; it's the re�ntroduction of oxygen after they've been deprived.

What this means in terms of Claire's whack biology, I don't know. Just saying.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Reverend: I didn't mean to suggest anything like intelligent design. I just meant that evolution produced lifeforms which are "supposed" to die; if living things didn't die, there would be no next generation, thus defeating the entire process and ensuring evolution would never exist [Wink]

TSN: Good point; that is more accurate. Although I think the lack of oxygen for a certain prolonged period of time would lead to decay and death, because without the cell receiving energy to carry out cellular processes, all those lovely macromolecules and chemical structures would start to break down through unregulated chemical reactions (only to a point; some molecules are perfectly stable)...but more importantly little nasty buggers would start to eat them. Bacteria, protists, fungi. No immune system, no proteins actively defending the membrane, so on and so forth. But it is a good point - maybe she has some biochemical trick that prevents the reintroduction of oxygen from doing its nasty work. Maybe her body has massive amounts of antioxidants or something.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps