Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dr. Who Christmas Special, the next season of Who.... and Torchwood (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dr. Who Christmas Special, the next season of Who.... and Torchwood
StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I may as well start the ball rolling.....

First up was the Chrimbo special... all good fun, everyone dies..... except the doctor, a loser and a loser... and another loser.
Sorry but this one did not hit the mark for me. The last two specials were actually very good (just watched last years), but this time the plot was slow, unfunny and predictable.

Think I will give this a miss on DVD.

Then came the teaser for the next season of Who... and gawd I was disappointed.
Confirmed is...
Catherine Tate (aka Gobbie thicky Donna) is back as the Doctors regular companion..... not a great start from my point of view..... She was good as a one off, but having to put up with that week after week.... nahh.
However Rose will be making a guest or two in the next season...... YAY!
However, although I will reserve judgement, things are not looking good for the next season.... topping the brilliant last season is going to be a job.

However the biggest surprise came after Dr Who... Torchwood....
You might remember me savaging the series previously.... well, it looks like someone might have listened...
James Marster (SP? Spike out of Buffy) seems to be making a few guest spots.... more than welcome.
Martha Jones looks like she will also be featuring.
Again, I will reserve judgement... but could this be something good in the making, or are we going back to sex and ketchup again?

Nuff

Chris

--------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The eppisode wasn't all bad, but I have to agree that it was predictable, slow, and just not that good. What must have seemed like good giggles on paper didn't hit the mark, and the whole ending didn't quite work in my mind.

Along with several other bits, which I shall not memtion yet for spoilers sake (allthough I don't doubt most who want to will have seen it by now - it's boxing day for goodness sake!)

The theme tune has also changed agian it seems - more of an electric mix this time, and with the blue turned up as well on the FX.

Still, mustn't grumble. Although I shall. The last season was a bit of a let down for me - perhaps I just don't like David Tennant's doctor - so the trailer didn't disapoint too much. I think that the show is dumbing down and going for the kiddie audience (ducks).

As for the Torchwood teaser - yay indeed. The lessons from last season may have been learned, and we might finaly have the show we hoped for.

Now that's done, I'm off for a bit of left over snackaging.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the previous specials were better.. this one didnt really seem to have very much to do with.. Christmas?

I have a suspicion they built the entire episode around someone saying "hey, let's make the Titanic almost crash into Buckingham Palace!". The main bad guy looked silly, even for Doctor Who, and he only had a few lines before being killed off. Strangely, I think that Midshipman who sealed himself on the bridge got the best emotional scenes.

On the other hand.. it was Doctor Who, it was Christmas, and it was pretty entertaining.

However much I don't like Catherine Tate's comedy show, I must admit that as a Companion, she had a fresh chemistry with the Doctor. Something different from the immediate romantic vibes from Rose and Martha. And I think the Doctor is quite ready for a more down-to-earth, sceptical, companion. I loved that scene where she was really horrified when the Doctor went berserk killing all the baby spider things in last year's Christmas special, and he might need someone like that. I do hope they won't try to make their relationship anything romantic.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I agree that the previous specials were better.. this one didnt really seem to have very much to do with.. Christmas?

I have a suspicion they built the entire episode around someone saying "hey, let's make the Titanic almost crash into Buckingham Palace!". The main bad guy looked silly, even for Doctor Who, and he only had a few lines before being killed off. Strangely, I think that Midshipman who sealed himself on the bridge got the best emotional scenes.

On the other hand.. it was Doctor Who, it was Christmas, and it was pretty entertaining.

However much I don't like Catherine Tate's comedy show, I must admit that as a Companion, she had a fresh chemistry with the Doctor. Something different from the immediate romantic vibes from Rose and Martha. And I think the Doctor is quite ready for a more down-to-earth, sceptical, companion. I loved that scene where she was really horrified when the Doctor went berserk killing all the baby spider things in last year's Christmas special, and he might need someone like that. I do hope they won't try to make their relationship anything romantic.

You have pretty much summed up EVERYTHING I was going to say!! All points. Except - when have the Christmas specials really had much to do about Christmas?

I liked the reference to Doctor #3 - about being stranded on Earth for a time.

Did anyone think there was something behind the line by the Doctor "I'm unsinkable". You don't really want to go around tempting fate like that Doctor!

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I found the best part of this episode to be Clive Swift's character. Especially at the end. I kept thinking of him settling down on Earth, and starting a family with a "lady" called Hyacinth.
The episode otherwise was pretty much dull, and seemed to be a poor excuse to pull out Kylie and the BBCs repertoire of B-list sitcom actors. Compared to the, ironically, darker type of story coming out of Sarah Jane recently, this was bordering on pathetic and certainly seemed far more geared towards children than the kids show has been!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on!?! Is Sarah Jane Adventures airing!?!?!?!?! (More than just the pilot).

What other sitcom actors were in it? I like your theory re: "Keeping Up Appearances". Surely Hyacinth is an alien too, though!?! [Big Grin]

OMG There has been NO discussion here about it!! There's already been 10 episodes or so!?!?!?!?!

COOL! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first series of "The Sarah Jane Adventures" already ended a few weeks back.

(I say "first series", but I don't really know if they've even decided yet whether to make a second one or not.)

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What other sitcom actors were in it?

I was exaggerating slightly, but Geoffrey Palmer was playing the Captain (who had previously been in Reggie Perin, Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By, and as Field Marshall Haig in Blackadder Goes Forth) and Bernard Cribbins was that London bloke (also previously having been in Fawlty Towers, a number of Carry On films, and narrator of The Wombles). Admittedly both do tend to do more serious roles.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Zipacna:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What other sitcom actors were in it?

I was exaggerating slightly, but Geoffrey Palmer was playing the Captain (who had previously been in Reggie Perin, Fawlty Towers, As Time Goes By, and as Field Marshall Haig in Blackadder Goes Forth)
Ahhh yes, he also seems to be in most things Dame Judi Dench is in! [Big Grin]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

So, I've watched Parts 1 and 2 of "Revenge of the Slitheen". It was quite good! Actually I really enjoyed them!

I'm glad they replaced that black girl from Invasion of the Bane. She was downright annoying.

The new guy reminds me of Mickey Smith. [Smile]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Just finished episode 3 of SJA... "Eye of the Gorgon Part 1". WOW! Very good stuff.

Maria's mother is a silly bitch! [Smile]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a mini SJA marathon on the CBBC channel this morning, and "Whatever happened to Sarah Jane Smith?" (or something) was quite a good episode. The Trickster was a pretty unsettling character. Very much classic 'behind the sofa' children's TV.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Just downloading that one now.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, might one of our British friends be able to access the Torchwookd site and pass on the new Series Two wallpapers? The teeny tiny versions of them that I've seen look passably cool...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got 'em, got an address I can send a zip to?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps