Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Peter Berg to Direct DUNE (Shai-Hulud help him!) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peter Berg to Direct DUNE (Shai-Hulud help him!)
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me drives the topic bus into oncoming traffic...

anybody read Mechwarrior: Dorkage books?

thoughts? ideas? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours... [Wink]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, I thought we've been through this already... Resurrect your own damn thread, Macross boy! [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pensive's Wetness:
/me drives the topic bus into oncoming traffic...

anybody read Mechwarrior: Dorkage books?

thoughts? ideas? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours... [Wink]

No, so bugger off.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haaaup!-

Mechwarrior/Warhammer literature. It's like the CUBE, it exists because someone had the choice to either create it or admit it's pointless. 40 000 years of slaughter with no sign of stipping, how can there be any development?

That galaxy needs a Big Crunch and a nice, clean reboot. Or send a black Monolith slab into the greatest, most climactic battle of the combined MechWarhammer furball battle in recorded history and just let it suck all the ships and battlestations and battlestationplanets together to form a new sun, it'd be the best achievement ever for them! People could finally start growing corn again, instead of making depleted uranium shells for their chieftain's bolter.

Lane change: Regarding the Children of Dune-novel, I always imagined Leto II looking like a green-black version of Venom, without the white eyeblobs and fangy mouth, but kind of Venom/Spawn-ish. Slightly pulsating or writhing epidermis, like a living bodyshield, and karate chops that could cleave boulders.
I didn't like the sparse pieces of sandtrout the Leto-kid had in the miniseries, four pieces didn't feel enough to give him the powers he made use of. He had a bit more in the very end but by then it wasn't �ber-time anymore, just the start of 3000 years of boredom.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine a full body latex/silicone "trout suit" would have been too expensive for the budget they had, to say nothing of the sheer discomfort placed upon the actor. If it were done today (or in the next few years) I reckon it would be done with a mo-cap gimp suit, a la Gollum or Davy Jones.
But yes, a few bits glued to his forearm was a bit disappointing.

Of course the real challenge would be the full God Emperor Worm. A few years ago I would have said it couldn't be done in a satisfactory way, but now I'm pretty sure they could pull of a viable character out of that behemoth. I just hope for the sake of whomever eventually gets cast as Leto II that he knows what would be expected of him in the second half of his two picture contract!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to chip in with my 2�...

I have to agree almost completely concerning most of the Kevin Anderson stuff. Anderson's Star Wars books were complete and utter crap -- but then, so were almost all the others that weren't written by Timothy Zahn. [Wink]

However, for some reason, I was still absolutely enthralled by the Butlerian Jihad trilogy that they wrote. Maybe it was just the excitement of seeing all the various primordial elements of the Dune universe... or the fact that the philosophical issues of the Jihad resonated much more strongly with the traditional Frank Herbert themes, compared to the complete exercise in wankery that was their first prequel trilogy. And the character of Erasmus was a brilliant personification of the thinking machines... even if he was a bit clich�d. I definitely enjoyed the Jihad trilogy.

(The final two books were somewhere in between for me. I won't post any spoilers, but suffice to say that they were... trite and predictable, but still satisfying in that they brought the plot to a close.)
quote:
I just hope for the sake of whomever eventually gets cast as Leto II that he knows what would be expected of him in the second half of his two picture contract!
Wait, are you suggesting that they're going to try to make a movie out of God-Emperor of Dune? How in the hell could they even attempt to deal with such a monstrosity? (And I'm not talking about the worm...) [Wink]

About Leto II in the end of the miniseries, they might have been a bit light on the makeup, but I think it was more than enough to convey the meaning. I always figured that some of the sandtrout were absorbed into his body, not just into a shell around it. Kinda beneath the skin, I guess. After all, Leto couldn't have run so far all over the place and become so powerful if he just had the sandtrout covering his skin, could he?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
Warhammer literature. It's like the CUBE, it exists because someone had the choice to either create it or admit it's pointless. 40 000 years of slaughter with no sign of stipping, how can there be any development?

Not so. I been playing 40K since 1990, and know the timeline better than anyone, probably. Everything was going along fine until the Eldar (read: Space Elves) got all decadent and accidentally fucked up warp travel for the entire galaxy. Human civilization broke down because they couldn't travel or talk to each other and there followed about ten thousand years of general social disintigration, depending on local resources and will. After warp travel was restored, the Emperor started pulling humanity back together until the Great Heresy. The contemporary era of Warhammer 40,000 is only a little less than ten thousand years.

So somewhat more stretched out than the Dune timeline. In my sillier moments, I like to think the events of the Dune universe happened during the Golden Age/Dark Age of Technology of the Warhammer 40K universe, and that all of that's been forgotten during the chaos of the Age of Strife that followed. [Smile]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm. And here I thought Dawn of War was standalone.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps