Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x04 Escape Velocity $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x04 Escape Velocity $$
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the old Centurions did appear to be sentient, after all that one group in Razor apparently believed that the Hybrid dude was a god.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Guardian Hybrid still comes to my mind... specifically what he said about the Final Five and how it all repeats again. It sounds like some temporal causality loop.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's more about repeating patterns. The cycle of time is a very old concept in quite a few ancient cultures. Though off the top of my head the only example I can think of is the Mayan Baktun calender.

As for the old Centurions, of course they were sapient, they were the ones rebelling after all. Plus there's a deleted scene where (ironically, in retrospect) Tigh relates a war story about how he was on a ship boarded by Centurions and remarks something to the effect that the way the fought, betrayed just how much they hated humanity.
In retrospect perhaps the memory is a vestige of him being one of those very Centurions.

It dose help to account where all of his self hate comes from, even before he grooved on Bob Dylan.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that scene was Adama describing to Tigh the last time that Galactica got boarded (in the first war, that is). That was where they split up and went to auxiliary fire control and secondary damage control stations.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, defiantly Tigh. [LINK]

--------------------

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:

As for the old Centurions, of course they were sapient, they were the ones rebelling after all. Plus there's a deleted scene where (ironically, in retrospect) Tigh relates a war story about how he was on a ship boarded by Centurions and remarks something to the effect that the way the fought, betrayed just how much they hated humanity.
In retrospect perhaps the memory is a vestige of him being one of those very Centurions.

I thought they carried on this theme quite well with the TOS centurion that Adama skydived with in the Razor web-episodes (I'm not saying webisodes!). I know some people thought the design didn't live up to the original, but I liked the way it had a bit of a "frown". To me, they really did look like they had a hatred for humanity, and I immediately thought back to Tigh's description.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an idea: What if the Final Cylon is a character from the New Caprica series? The plot of the new show does revolve around a father who "resurrects" his dead daughter by building a robot with her memories.
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
Here's an idea: What if the Final Cylon is a character from the New Caprica series?

It's possible they might do that, but I think it would be an enormous cheat if they do! Ron Moore has said that he has left hints as to the identity of the final Cylon and I think it has to be someone from the series, known to the viewers since early on, for the payoff to be worth it.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. And it's what bugs me, because I feel like I should have spotted these hints.

It just feels like the revelation of the FC chould be this major thing, but there aren't any major characters it can possibly be. Various pronouncements have indicated that it's not Adama snr., Roslin or Thrace, nor anyone in the Last Supper image. I don't think it's Ellen Tigh anymore (after this week's ep anyway). My shortlist (in no particular order) runs: Cain, Seelix, Lee Adama, Dualla. And, yes, I'm aware it makes no sense.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Zak Adama? I mean it is POSSIBLE the last cylon is dead. As it stands it's a huge fluke that the four of them escaped the colonies at all (or is it!?!?!?) Anders especially since if it weren't for Kara he'd be dead for sure. We really don't know where Tory came from, I just assumed she was on Colonial one all along and if so, she's just as lucky to be there as they nearly got themselves nuked in the mini.
The fact that Saul and Galen were serving on the same ship is a little bothersome...unless the CO picked him from bunch of candidates, but then what did Tyrol do to be assigned to an old bucket like Galactica? Maybe a sense of engineering nostalgia casued him to ask for reassignment...still there have been circumstances beyond their control in which any one or all of them could have died so odds are one of the five is dead.
Perhaps it ties in with the reason the five somehow exist "between life and death".

--------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wondering if the final five aren't incorporeal. Maybe the fabulous four haven't always been Cylons. Maybe they've just become... possessed. It would explain a lot, like how they would have survived and ended up where they are, and how they can apparently be older than the Cylons themselves. It would also fit well with the Harveys, making Harvey Six potentially the final cylon.

Time travel is also a possibility. Perhaps "all this has happened before" is a bit more literal than we expect. But somehow that wouldn't seem to fit with BSG's more realistic approach to sci-fi.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither would incorporeal AIs possessing people. [Wink]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, yeah, was James Callis on wires during his militant nonviolence thing? Because it sure looked like it, but people seem to be pretty evenly divided about that scene, re Magical Intervention vs. Fight Club Climax.

Also Tyrol's public freakout was pretty brutal.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(you know, emotionally)
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not going to think about the wire thing. I refuse to. The whole Virtual Six thing just ... rnk. We'll find out eventually.

I hope. If we don't then heads will roll.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps