Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x05 The Road Less Travelled $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x05 The Road Less Travelled $$
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't watched it yet, but hey, how often do I get to start the weekly thread? Ooh, looks like Leoben's back. Well, OK, he's not been gone, but I mean "back" as in "back annoying Starbuck." It's a tradition, or an old charter, or something.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's annoying her or trying to be one of those things on her shoulder. Though killing Mathaias means that the writers intend to kill off as many secondary characters as they can get away with.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notice how Leoben referred to Kara as an "angel"? I'd kinda suspected it was referring to her already, but now I'm sure:
quote:
And then, they will join the promised land, gathered on the wings of an angel. Not an end, but a beginning. � the first Hybrid
Yes, I know he later said that she would be leading Humanity to its destruction... but doesn't creation also follow destruction? As in, a new beginning?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...no I'm pretty sure creation comes first.

I'm wondering if Baltar is the angel.
As for Mathaias, in a twisted way I'm glad it's her. That is if they're going to kill someone like this then it's better from the audience's perspective if it's someone we're already familiar with and not just some random redshirt.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
...no I'm pretty sure creation comes first.

Literally speaking, perhaps, but I'm referring to the cycle of time myths, which the show has frequently hinted at being a part of. "All of this has happened before, and will happen again..." So I'm wondering if the show's going to end with something like the destruction of both Humanity and the Cylons, and the creation of something new.

Concerning Matthias, I agree completely. The person who got killed had to be someone that would up the emotional ante for Kara.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, how many more people are they going to cram into the Demetrius? Only 8 were shown to start with, but now it seems they've got about a dozen others in there, including Hotdog! Other than Racetrack and the former Pegasus CAG, I can't think of any pilots left on Galactica!

So is Baltar actually believing the stuff he's saying, or is he just manipulating the situation? I can't figure out which, but personally, I wouldn't trust him at all.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it's that or make up - or more to the point cast - a new bunch of characters.

As for Baltar, I think he does believe to a point. It's something we've seen grow since "Hand of God", though at his core he's still an egotist and oddly enough, a pragmatist.
I honestly believe that this series is as much about Baltar as it is about the fleet.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the "we're all perfect children of God" is supposed to seem ominous, given both who introduced it (Tory) and how it runs against the whole feel of the show, which is at least in part or occasionally about how we have to do good despite our flaws, or maybe how we can do evil without intending to. But I don't think Baltar necessarily has an ulterior motive, at this point. And that scene where he comes to talk to Tyrol was great.

re angels: The interesting thing, I think, is that Hallucinatory Six has previous referred to herself as an angel, and the last time Kara saw Leoben (Who Wasn't Leoben?), he seemed to be the same kind of entity. Not that I'm saying that this Leoben was anything other than a regular flesh and blood Cylon; just that it is an interesting juxtaposition.

I would have loved a scene where Sharon goes to talk to Leoben, though.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they're trying to use Baltar's personal struggles as an allegory for the struggle of the Cylons. Or at least the ones who decided genocide wasn't their proudest moment and are struggling with that (the sixes and their friends in the civil war) and yet still have all their nasty tendencies.

Did anyone else get a little vibe that Leoben had maybe an inkling about Anders being a Cylon?

Also, I'm getting really sick of Starbuck *dying for chrissakes* and reappearing all different. She has to be the Final One. And yet she really can't be, gods damn it, frak you writers.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least we now know that there is definitely a Cylon Civil War. If it weren't for the fact that some of the Cylons seem to want to change their ways, I'd have the same attitude as Anders and think them killing each other is okee dokie.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leoben could also have been insinuating that he is like Anders, as human as he thinks Anders is anyway, not that Anders is Cylon Model X.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was a bit disappointed this week. I'm hoping that next week will be packed with thrills'n'spills and happening funky fun galore, to justify the first part of a (presumed) two-parter being full of filler.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Lee. The preview looked interesting, but was still a little slow. I miss episodes with their "oh man!" endings and plot twists. Way to much filler and I'm not sure how they plan to wrap up all the old loose ends.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The past five episodes have felt slow and dragging to me, only my stubbornness has kept me watching without taking naps.

It seems that there are more commercials for the sci-fi BSG site than episode anyway.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it doesn't help that every week they say "ALL WILL BE REVEALED!!!".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps