Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGA 5x04 $$ The Daedalus Variations $$

Author Topic: SGA 5x04 $$ The Daedalus Variations $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Multiple realities, woo! And an interesting way to introduce the new baddies of the season...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are they the new baddies, or just a one-off? I did like their ship, though - very cool! It looked at first like it could be an Earth-tech ship, just more advanced. And the aliens did remind me a lot of the Cro-Mags from Sliders.

I liked the close-in fighter battles! Looks like they had to build a new highly-detailed Daedalus model for that.

Too bad they couldn't switch off the drive and keep the extra Daedalus, although some reality out there now has an extra one.

Sheppard calling Ronon "Chewie" after he starts banging on the console! [Big Grin]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I loved the Chewie bit, hehe.

--------------------

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe yeah, the Chewie thing was hilarious.

All in all, a good episode. Taela's response to Rodney with her kid seemed strange to me though. Most women try to convert the men around them into extra nannies.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were the battle scenes not CGI? Doing that kind of complicated battle with models is very difficult and extremely expensive, not to mention time-consuming...no? Or when you say "build a more detailed model," do you mean CGI model?

Yeah, Chewie was funny. It bears repeating again. [Razz]

I think Teyla was worried Rodney would make a terrible nanny, Ahkileez. Seeing as he dropped the kid and all [Big Grin]

Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he means CGI model. You usually don't need *too* detailed a model for tv, especially if it's going to be shot from fairly far away. But those constant close-ups needs one.

I didn't care for SG1 so I can't really compare this model to any earlier ones.

Meh, kids are resilient.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at that age they're not.

I'm assuming these guys will be the new baddies as it seams unlikely they'll spend money on designing the new ships, make-up and costume on a one off.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

^My thoughts exactly.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has Stargate ever introduced a new villain in a way other than "Hey, it takes a whole lot of bullets to kill them until we forget about that two or three episodes later"?

(To answer my own snark: the Ori I guess, and the Replicators are sort of the inverse.)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember a huge purple one-off ship that Sam encountered in a nebula while on the Prometheus. We never saw any aliens, though. But yeah, this ship was too insanely detailed to just be a one-off, unless the CGI artist *really* got into his work.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd be surprised just how relatively little effort it takes these days. OTOH, I think that the Daedalus model *was* the same, spruced up only a little with details like the CIWS guns we see close-up this time. A couple years back we saw the Prometheus in similar closeups before she was gloriously destroyed - I think that the CG guys simply love their work. [Smile]

And we don't know if this is someone we'll see later - the Stargate universe has had lots of one-off aliens with tons of detail, never to be seen again unless a fan notices the re-use of their props. I'm looking at you, Bedrosia. [Wink] The producers seem intent on learning from the Replicator fiasco as an example of spreading too thin, and I hope that at best we see only minor threats besides the Wraith from here on in.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Or sometimes they create recurring aliens from said props. (I'm thinking of the Travelers, from whom Ronan got his gun.)

Sol: I was thinking the EXACT same thing while watching the ep this evening. Kinda annoying, IMO — but then, it's hardly endemic to Stargate.
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
The producers seem intent on learning from the Replicator fiasco as an example of spreading too thin, and I hope that at best we see only minor threats besides the Wraith from here on in.

You don't watch the previews for upcoming episodes, do you? [Wink] Can't say I blame you; I've had a few things spoiled over the years, but I can't seem to stop watching them.

Although it wasn't the greatest episode overall, I did enjoy the part where Rodney explained how he came about the "dumb" idea of putting the ship into reverse.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps