Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Whedon's Dollhouse gets the death slot

Author Topic: Whedon's Dollhouse gets the death slot
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT A SURPRISE THIS IS!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the creator of Firefly, another series cancelled before the first season's even aired!
A FOX tradition.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems like it's been doomed from the start with all the rewrites and reshoots the studio's asked for. Whedon tried to play it down, but it looks like Fox just doesn't have much faith in the series, or at the very least, they don't have the same vision of it that Whedon did. He must be fuming.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woohoo and The Sarah Chronicles is probably getting canceled too. Thanks Fox!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great... I may actually have to start reading.

shudder

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, look on the plus side. It won't be in the death slot for long. They'll want to move it around without warning... maybe air the episodes out of order... you know, that sort of thing.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah... they may even not air the pilot and just start on episode two... but that would just be stupid.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Great... I may actually have to start reading.

shudder

Welcome to my like- no television and loving it, baby!
I recently visited my grandma for a few days and watched some tv at her house: I find I'm missing nothing.

I spend a lot on books though- my local library has a lot but there's just something about owning a book that's so much more appealing.

I'll watch the Dollhouse on DVD after the series is cancelled and fans lament loudly about what could have been....just like I did with Firefly.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

I spend a lot on books though- my local library has a lot but there's just something about owning a book that's so much more appealing.

Less dirty than library books.

[ November 08, 2008, 05:40 AM: Message edited by: AndrewR ]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, Whedon says he was the one unhappy with the first pilot. Just, you know, saying.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's been a lot of back and forth on it. I think once he re-wrote it he was quite happy with it, but the studio weren't, so they ended up having to reshoot a lot and plonk in more action.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Let's see... the Firefly pilot had Summer Glau in the buff, Morena Baccaran *bathing herself*, giant guns, cool ship FX, and a horse getting shot... and they still didn't air it.

I blame the network over Whedon. Forever. On everything.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban, I think Johnny and Sol are referring to the Dollhouse pilot.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Aban's comment is still valid whichever show's pilot he thought you were talking about. "The Train Job" is a good contender for the worst episode of Firefly, but they still chose it to introduce the show in preference to the Pilot, which was much better. That should tell you a lot about either the network's critical faculties, or their sheer cynicism (if it was a calculated move to help kill off a show they had already decided they didn't want anymore), or both.

When does Terminator move to Fridays? This week?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah, my point was, no matter what Whedon does to legitimately make a show better, the network will always screw it up. He produced a brilliant episode in "Serenity" which they never aired even though it had all the stuff in it that you'd think networks would want to see. Explosions. Naked women. Dead horses... Then they made him write "Train Job" which he did the best he could with, but still wasn't as good and left some problems for the ongoing series.

I always wondered: how was anyone supposed to have ever found out how Simon, River and Book got on the ship? We got everyone else's back story in "Out of Gas". Did that not ever occur to the network? Or would they have eventually made him write a flashback ep. that essentially retold the pilot?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps