Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x13 "Sometimes A Great Notion" $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x13 "Sometimes A Great Notion" $$
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd be surprised what can survive an explosion and it makes sense that the cockpit would be specifically designed to withstand a LOT of punishment. Still, it's a mystery how all those pieces of debris landed within walking distance of each other.
I imagine it has something to do with the heavy raider we saw from Lee's POV, but we're still missing a vital piece of the puzzle.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember at the time a few of us noted that in the shot where her Viper explodes they're quite careful not to actually show the cockpit go up in flames. It certainly looks like it's been completely destroyed in the wide shot, but as Reverend says, there's a suspicious heavy raider flying over head.

The idea that some Cylon faction abducted her and planted the evidence that she's the final fifth on Earth is probably one the least far fetched theories.

The only other thing to consider is that when Kara came back from the dead she remembered going to Earth, but couldn't remember how she returned. That's got some added significance now, hasn't it?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Small point, but does it strike anyone else as a little bit of a coincidence that the Earth centurions just happened to be of a remarkably similar design as those (supposedly) designed and developed 2000 years later on a separate planet, half way across the galaxy?

Perhaps it's based off some ancient cultural armour design from the time of Kobol or another hint and the collective unconscious, cycle of time theme?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering if there's not some time travel thing going on with Kara. She may not have been regenerated. She may just be fated at some point in the future to go back in time and blow up. Which, of course, doesn't explain the absolutely new Viper she's flying around.

From the last scene, it looked like Ellen and Saul were aware of something going on with resurrection technology. "We'll be reborn." Whatever brought them back may have also brought Starbuck back. And may also bring Dee back, come to think of it. Maybe everyone who dies around Earth is reborn somewhere else. Of course, the destruction of the resurrection hub might change that, if it was tied in. Oooh, or maybe there have to be twelve, for some reason, and Ellen's death meant Starbuck took her place. Whatever place that might have been.

So I guess another question is, were these five the only survivors? Or are there others elsewhere, repeating this cycle in other places in the galaxy? And are we sure the Cylons are the artificial ones? Maybe what the colonials call Cylons are actually natural humans (like you and me), and the colonials themselves are the constructs.

And then there's the question, are we really convinced this is Earth?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, where's the Moon?
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RDM says it really, really is Earth and that Ellen really, really is the fifth Cylon, but then he also said that Starbuck really, really was dead for good.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if that's Starbuck in the crashed Viper, and the one running around now is some sort of clone or Cylon replacement or whatever, I guess he might technically have been telling the truth.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has it ever been properly established that the skinjobs are in any way mechanical? I can only think of the glowing spine in the miniseries, but surely we've never actually seen Data-like blinking lights under their skin.. and they seem to have human-like skeletons. Is there anything against them being 99.99% organic, even with the colonials calling them machines?

I think the design of the Cylon centurions could maybe relate to some ancient 'racial memory', probably related to Kobol. Maybe its some kind of iconic armor worn by the Cylon God/Jealous God.

Or maybe the 'colonial Cylons' were actually designed by the skinjob Cylons when they lived among the humans, before they were properly activated.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, all this time they've been trying to figure out a way to identify skin jobs, but within a day or two of landing on this planet, they can tell that all its former inhabitants were skin jobs? It doesn't really seem likely, does it? Or maybe it's a method that only works on dead bodies, which would require them to kill someone just to prove they're not a Cylon.

-

The Fleet's Cylon detector agent at work, yesterday

How embarrassing. In the thread for "Escape Velocity" I mentioned how I'd decided the Fynol Cylon wasn't Ellen after all. I must be becoming really gullible in my old age, this episode had me convinced it would turn out to be Dee, so I was rather surprised at how things turned out. I fell for all their tricks. Curse you, Moore!

(oh, and is it just me, or is the time on Flare's server 9 minutes slow?)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vaguely remember the idea being they could always identify a Cylon corpse, back even from the miniseries. The catch was identifying the live ones.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, it was the Cylons themselves that identified the remains as Cylon, not the humans.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cylon skinjobs have the ability to interface with Colonial technology via slitting their wrists and sticking the fiber optic cables in the wounds. While this may not be specifically mechanical it definitely isn't something organic humans or animals can do.

Add to this their superior strength and you get some compelling evidence for identifiable differences at least at the cellular level.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They can also "project" environments and people in their minds like a built-in holodeck. Also in the latest webisodes, they appear to be adept at calculating their position in the galaxy by looking at the stars. As far as emotions go, they are very much like humans.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they also have the ability to upload their consciousness upon death to a resurrection ship or resurrection hub. There must be some kind of transmitter technology inside them.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking maybe their neural network is synthetic? It would make a lot of sense...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.