Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x18 Deadlock $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x18 Deadlock $$
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A less spectacular episode than last week, but some important things happened:

- The Cylon baby has died. That scene with Tigh coming to Adama in his grief was the best of the episode, I reckon.

- This has essentially killed off the plan for the Cylons to frak off and start a new life for their own. And it probably means Hera is the Future again.

- Baltar's cult is now an officially sanctioned and armed force in Dogsville, directly opposed to these Sons of Ares. It could represent a religious war between the single God and the old gods?

- Are we assuming Baltar's Head-Six is a guardian/messenger of the same kind that warned the Fabulous Five of the holocaust on Earth?

- Galactica is now very literally becoming a half-Cylon/half-human ship. And it appears the Cylons have been integrating into ship life faster than Adama and Roslin thought.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Adama giving Baltar's cult weapons was about as bad as giving him a nuclear warhead. Judging by the look on the face of the chick holding the rifle, it seems they're gonna use these weapons for more that just protection.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What least surprises me is how little Ellen has changed, despite her revived memories.

The only confusing thing for me is, just what was Baltar offering in trade for those weapons? I'm assuming that it has something to do with saving the ship, since Baltar mentioned "a Human solution," but what's it supposed to be?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think his warning about a possible anti-Cylon revolution may have somewhat scared Adama into giving him the weapons.

But whatever Adama's reasoning was, it seems we now have an armed faction of Cylon God worshippers, through the Messianic Baltar and Head-Six, possibly an actual messenger from the elusive One True God that Ellen, in this episode, again claims "we didn't invent".

I strongly suspect Baltar's Cult will actively seek to destroy the Colonial Faith, or at least its military adherents, and replace it with the One True God. It seems a necessary step in becoming like the original Kobol/Earth/Wherever people.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Helo dead? I ask because I was assuming that the Sharon who voted to go to the BaseStar was Athena, and if it was, I highly doubt she'd abandon Helo like that. But maybe she was another Sharon.

Also, it looks like the Cylons believe in womens' lib. All the Sixes and Eights are doing all the work to fix BSG, and not a single Leoben to be found. As a matter of fact, we haven't seen a peep out of him since he freaked out about seeing Kara's dead body.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that Eight was a non-voting participant. The titular "Deadlock" was between the Five only.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Ellen. You slept with Cavil, who is both your son and your father, and you're giving Saul grief?

Pots living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at kettles.

Or something.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Ellen's characterization interesting. I at first thought and hoped that Ellen would be different. Mature, all-knowing, etc... At first I was disappointed she was still the drunk petty woman we've always seen but then I realized that's just her. It doesn't matter that she's a 2,000+ year old Cylon. If her personality has always been a petty, manipulative, conniving drunk then that's what she's going to be. It doesn't matter if she has all her memories or not - Cavil did not change her personality.

This doesn't mean she can't be one of the "good guys." This doesn't mean she can't have been responsible for rediscovering resurrection. It just means that's who she is.

Ironic she's so sick of Tigh and Caprica having a relationship yet she slept with Cavil. Of course that wasn't her complete choice - she wasn't in full command of her faculties or had all her memories at that time. On the other hand neither does Tigh now.

I wonder what it's going to take to unlock all the memories for the other four. Hopefully something besides death.

Are they still in the Sol system or have they jumped elsewhere? I was thinking the whole rebellion took the fleet by surprise. If they did jump it's probably only been one jump. Then the rebellion happened and the damage to Galactica finally brought to the fore. They ain't jumping anywhere now.

I've assumed they were still in Sol system.

Looks like Anders has regained consciousness by the end of the episode. At least the monitors started showing brain activity again.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The general fan reaction to this episode has been really bad, but it's a shame because it seems as though it wasn't the writing to blame so much as the way it was edited.

Giving guns to Baltar's jubilant harem came off as a completely moronic move on Adama's part because key scenes were cut (possibly to make way for umpteen shots of Adama watching the repair work).

Here's what someone said who saw a longer cut of the episode.

quote:
I had the priviledge this evening of watching a slightly longer rough cut at a frak party I attended tonight. And there was something really, really key that they had to cut for time (the rough was 11 minutes longer): there are not enough Marines left alive on the Galactica now to handle all required police & civilian duties.

At the beginning of the rough cut version, the Marines give up on the food distribution, sensing a riot. They abandon the food rations...immediately after they leave, the Sons of Aries show up, guns in hand, and take what is left. Also before the credit roll, Adama/Roslin/Lee are arguing about introducing Centurions into the Galactica to pick up the slack in security issues and policing the civvies on the ship. Adama refuses to allow it. At the end of the episode, Baltar's plea to Adama is longer -- he clearly wants his little cult-turned-militia to pick up guns in service of civilian policing and food redistribution. Use his cult, instead of Centurions.

And check out this week's Chicago Tribune interview with Jane Espenson for more.

Still doesn't explain why the F3 and Kara didn't ask Ellen for more answers, after being so intent to find out more from Anders last week. And how Boomer found the fleet is a question, unless Cavil knows exactly where they are but hasn't attacked for some reason?

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I was kind of surprised by Galen's immediate vote to leave the Fleet. There wasn't even a second's doubt on his mind, it seems? Was this his old love for Tory coming through or what? I'd always thought he was one of the most 'human' of the lot.

quote:
Looks like Anders has regained consciousness by the end of the episode. At least the monitors started showing brain activity again.
I was half-expecting him to open his eyes and shout "JUMP!", and Cylon-Galactica jumping away from the fleet as a cliffhanger.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:

Giving guns to Baltar's jubilant harem came off as a completely moronic move on Adama's part because key scenes were cut (possibly to make way for umpteen shots of Adama watching the repair work).

Yeah what is up with that? Adama seems to spend 90% of his time watching the repairs. Perhaps he wants to make sure the Cylons aren't up to something or see everything's running smoothly, but it appears like he's overly obsessed with the ship. Plus there's the fact it seems constantly drinking and/or chugging pills.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:

Yeah what is up with that? Adama seems to spend 90% of his time watching the repairs. Perhaps he wants to make sure the Cylons aren't up to something or see everything's running smoothly, but it appears like he's overly obsessed with the ship. Plus there's the fact it seems constantly drinking and/or chugging pills.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'm pretty sure that Eight was a non-voting participant. The titular 'Deadlock' was between the Five only."

She wasn't voting, but she was definitely pushing for the return to the baseship.

"Ironic she's so sick of Tigh and Caprica having a relationship yet she slept with Cavil. Of course that wasn't her complete choice - she wasn't in full command of her faculties or had all her memories at that time."

I'm not sue where you got that impression. I thought that the Ellen/Cavil relationship happened back when the Five were still living among their creations.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Ellen/Cavil sexual relationship was on New Caprica. Ellen was having sex with Cavil to ensure Tigh got better treatment in Cavil's prison.

At this time Ellen did not know or remember that she was an original Cylon. Had she known she may not have had sex with Cavil - seeing how he looks like her father and is really her "son."

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: -1 redundant
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.