Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG 4x18 Deadlock $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ BSG 4x18 Deadlock $$
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Cavill is one sick puppy, so his relationship with Ellen is all down to him. But all the same you'd think she'd cuth Saul a bit more slack, after all, didn't his own relationship with Caprica-Six predate the revelation of his own Cylon-ness?

Interesting info on the alternate cut, there. I was thinking that the interminable shots of Adama moping in the bilges were getting ridiculous (and also quite samey, and is it me or was the Six you kept seeing in the background, doing all the work, played by a stand-in? You never saw her from the front and when seen from the side - barely - she looked different).

And that odd scene in the bar? Kara comments on the piano and gets a blank look from the bartender? No-one's mentioned that, yet. Is she hearing music now? Her father played the piano. We know she's not the original Kara, and could "feel" which way the ship should be jumping. So she could be tuned to receive a signal just like the Four were.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I think she was a stand-in, looked liked some other chick with a blond wig, at least until the final scene where she posts the picture on the wall.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Yeah, Cavill is one sick puppy, so his relationship with Ellen is all down to him. But all the same you'd think she'd cuth Saul a bit more slack, after all, didn't his own relationship with Caprica-Six predate the revelation of his own Cylon-ness?

No, I'm pretty sure that Saul only started the "interrogations" after he found out. The whole point, IIRC, was that he was looking for answers and insight into his newfound Cylon nature. But of course, he still didn't know about Ellen.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I forgot about Ellen and Cavil on New Caprica. Never mind.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
quote:

No, I'm pretty sure that Saul only started the "interrogations" after he found out. The whole point, IIRC, was that he was looking for answers and insight into his newfound Cylon nature. But of course, he still didn't know about Ellen.
Regardless, he doesn't know/remember much of anything about his Cylon past. He's getting all told to him but isn't remembering, including creating Six.

If/when he finally remembers everything... yikes. Talk about messed up in the head.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...And that odd scene in the bar? Kara comments on the piano and gets a blank look from the bartender? No-one's mentioned that, yet. Is she hearing music now? Her father played the piano. We know she's not the original Kara, and could "feel" which way the ship should be jumping. So she could be tuned to receive a signal just like the Four were.

Good catch, I didn't spot that one. Though I do remember thinking to myself "where would they get a piano and how would they get it though those narrow hatches?" Since I don't remember actually seeing it, you're probably right and it makes sense. For one thing it's been a while since Kara's story has moved forward and I'd hate to think they rushed it all into the last couple of episodes.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently you can see BSG composer Bear McCready in the background, though whether he's playing a piano or not I don't know. Red herring? Chance to give him a cameo, as a piano player, while acknowledging the ludicrousness of there being a piano at all. Perhaps it was a synth, although somehow I doubt that post-singularity Colonials are all that into electronic music somehow.

I just can't believe they'd be that blatant, to suddenly show Kara 'activating' like that when they've gone to such lengths to make her as normal as possible (for someone who's been inexplicably resurrected and has even had the chance to cremate her former self, that is). Perhaps the bartender was just a really bad actor and his reply didn't make it past the editing suite.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean, post-singularity? They seem like regular humans with spaceships to me. Post-singularity is usually when your entire life is vastly changed at a fundamental level; at least, that's the idea. Even a soft singularity is supposed to make sweeping dramatic changes, and while I'm sure FTL would do that, in BSG it's pretty much Space Is An Ocean, and their daily lives are just like present-day humans.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't having your AIs evolve on their own and become more powerful than you part of the singularity?

In any case, I think Lee meant that the Colonials might not be fond of synthesised music after synthesised humans/skinjobs had destroyed their civilisation. Although if that were true, having a keyboard turn up in the bar would be another sign of the blending seen throughout this episode. [Smile]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Though I do remember thinking to myself "where would they get a piano and how would they get it though those narrow hatches?"

Is that the same bar that they created in an old hangar? The one with the hangar queen Viper hanging overhead?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny:
Isn't having your AIs evolve on their own and become more powerful than you part of the singularity?

Not necessarily. A singularity is simply an event which changes the paradigm and day-to-day life of most people. The technological singularity we're expecting soon might or might not include AIs.
Lee
Member # 393

Ask five different futurists what the Singularity is and you'll get seven different answers. 8)

But I meant it, flippantly, exactly as Johnny suggested.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Apparently you can see BSG composer Bear McCready in the background, though whether he's playing a piano or not I don't know. Red herring? Chance to give him a cameo, as a piano player, while acknowledging the ludicrousness of there being a piano at all. Perhaps it was a synth, although somehow I doubt that post-singularity Colonials are all that into electronic music somehow.

I just can't believe they'd be that blatant, to suddenly show Kara 'activating' like that when they've gone to such lengths to make her as normal as possible (for someone who's been inexplicably resurrected and has even had the chance to cremate her former self, that is). Perhaps the bartender was just a really bad actor and his reply didn't make it past the editing suite.

Well I just listened to RDM's commentary and he mentions that there will be more on the piano in the next episode so...let's see.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
Member # 393

Indeed. Spoiler pics reveal the presence of a piano player, bearded (but not Bear McRearRy); no indication as to whether Kara is the only one who can see him or not!

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everybody who can see someone no one else can see raise your hand now please.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps