Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Fringe (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fringe
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been watching Fringe, and regretting it. Every episode I nearly have an aneurysm. Like, for example, this supposed IP address (by the way, immediately resolved to a street address somehow):

*holds head in hands* Don't they have a tech editor?

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap, I'm just not enough of a geek to get the joke (a first on Flare, I must confess).

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I don't get the problem either. Of course, I'm an engineer, not an IT person.
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Each segment of an IP address is an eight bit number. The maximum value you can represent with an eight bit number is 255. Therefore, the "largest" IP address could be 255.255.255.255. That being said, using a "real" IP address is dangerous for the same reason using "real" URLs is dangerous. The could have at least used something in 10.0.0.0/8, or even better, 169.254.0.0/16...

Additionally, each block of IP addresses is what maps to a street address... of the owner of the IP, i.e. the ISP, not the actual current end user of the address. In order to figure out where the user of the IP is (or claims to be), they'd need to ask the ISP, and that requires a warrant.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What really gets me is that *every single* byte in that address is over 255 [Razz]

Sorry for just assuming this didn't need explanation. 'Pologies.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I have to ask, what is it with yanks and stupidly high house numbers? Just how long does a street have to be to get a number that high?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A number in the 1100s? Eleven blocks.

Of course, the street itself doesn't need to be that long, because the numbers usually radiate out from a certain point within the city. Think of it like a graph. This block is eleven units away from one of the axes, even if the street itself is only one block long.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN:
quote:
This block is eleven units away from one of the axes, even if the street itself is only one block long.
Transparent domestium?? It would take years just to figure out the dynamics of this matrix!
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stupidly high? That's a rather low number in my experience. My own number is more than twice that, and I've had past addresses that were in the 5 digit range.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that's just crazy. Numbers should start at one end of the street, evens on the right, odds on the left and stop at the other end. Why would they need to be a grid reference?

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rev:

Where I live, we've got four quadrants: NW, NE, SW, SE. I have to specify my address as XXXX Cathedral Ave NW or I'll never get anything.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Isn't that what postcodes are for? (You lot call them Zip codes, yes?) When I ring up the local chinese, all they need for a delivery is my postcode (XX# #XX) and my TWO DIGIT house number and they know exactly where I live. Hell you can find me on google maps with just that and when I used to work in a despatch department, that's exactly what we used to confirm addresses anywhere in the UK.

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike UK postal codes, US zip codes cover a large geographical area. My zip code, 98087, covers half of the city I live in. The zip+4 system can narrow it down quite a bit, but the USPS charges an arm and a leg for that database.

Washington also uses the quadrant system, but I haven't yet determined the exact magic they use for the directions (I suspect it's quadrants of the county, but I'm not sure of this). All minor roads and most major roads here are numbered.

I'm on 143rd St SW, but it runs for maybe a quarter mile total, then picks up a few blocks east and a few blocks west (west is a highway, east is a freeway). This is where the fun begins. The area is a heavily developed suburb, so there are plenty of short streets. Directly north of us is 142nd St, then north of that is, get this, 142nd Pl. Why? Because they fall in the horizontal section that gets streets named 142nd, even if they have to fit two of them in.

I used to live on 164th St SW, which runs almost half the length of the city, and is a major road (as are most roads divisible by 32 and some divisible by 16). However, when crossing a certain street, 164th St SW becomes 164th St SE, and the address numbers start over. I had a visitor get lost terribly at one point in another city because he thought the address was SE instead of SW.

This is one of many reasons I am now glad to have a GPS available.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankfully that's only in cities though. Here in suburbia, we may have 5 digit house numbers, mine's 4, though, but there's none of that grid crap. Every street has a nice, pleasant sounding name.

Although, Zip codes is where it gets screwey. I live in the town of Boston, whose zip code is 14025, but my mailing address, uses the Hamburg NY zip code of 14075. It's odd. There's a post office within walking distance of my house, yet our mail goes through the post office more than 10 miles away.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Blue387
Member # 2157

- posted      Profile for Blue387     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you can have addressed with hyphens. For example, in Queens neighborhoods here in NYC, you can get addresses like:

Flushing Hospital
146-01 45th Avenue
Flushing, NY 11355

Throw in confusion with the multiple 45th Avenues, 45th Boulevard, 45th Street and 45th Drive.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps