Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » First look @ the new Stargate

Author Topic: First look @ the new Stargate
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MGM has a 3D set viewable located here of the new Gateroom and halways of the Destiny. It requires you to install Microsoft Silverlight to view it, so for those who don't want to here's the cliffnote.

http://stargate.mgm.com/photosynth/index.html#

Here's the gate and the new chevrons.

-

-

More images viewable here

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-246802

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So do the chevrons move? They're off center, and some appear closer to each other than others.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Make it spin!"

That's one thing I didn't like about Atlantis' gate. From what I've seen in the promos, I think that entire inner structure with the arch-like icons move. Or I could be completely off-base.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually kind of wondering if the outer ring spins on this one. So the chevrons would spin around until they lined up with the symbols. The holes in the floor look big enough to allow that. I can't figure out why else the chevrons would be off center. Nor does it make sence that two of the chevrons would be hidden if the ninth chevron is supposedly integral to the story. Of course if the outer ring moves and the symbols stay put, it means a bunch of the symbols are permanently buried in the floor.

I guess this gate wouldn't really need an eighth or ninth chevron if the ninth only takes you to the ship the gate is already on, and the eighth takes you to other galaxies which the crew of the ship wouldn't need to do.

I dunno. The symbols look like morse code.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it, and the look of the set. Unlike the clean lines of Atlantis, the Destiny looks old and grimy on PURPOSE, without actually BEING old and grimy.

And yes, the outer ring looks to be the one that spins this time (or perhaps both of them do, since the promo shows the symbols spinning). It makes sense for this to show the ninth chevron, as typical Ancient stargates have them buried or otherwise embedded into the ground of their pedestal. Though I do miss the SGC look with the whole gate showing and a ramp leading up to it, and all the problems that's had over the years...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehehe all this talk of spinning has made me think for the first time of Wheel of Fortune! TOP DOLLAR!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of Bob Barker on The Price is Right.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole damn thing spins!
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/07/heres-how-the-destiny-stargate-dials/

Some video at the end of this blog entry:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/july-21-2009-freelancing-vs-full-time-commitment-the-early-gate-tests/

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First thing I thought when I saw it was it looked steampunk which is how they described it there. I do miss the old aesthetic of the SGC gateroom and the ramp but I'm open to seeing how this works out.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting! Also, this first shot indicates they're back to using a physical prop for the "location" gates. In Atlantis, they almost always used a CGI simply embedded into the ground instead of a walk-up mount.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-255155

Looks like there's no DHD here either - they have handheld devices this time. I like the notion of the whole gate spinning to the overhead "ball" and locking in there. This gate is presumably older than the Altantis gate system and probably the "original" Milky Way gate system too, if ALL gates are supposed to use their ninth chevron to get to the Destiny "master" gate.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... here's what I don't understand:

Why would the Gates in the galaxies they visit have the same design as the Gate on the Destiny? The Milky Way and Pegasus systems both have different designs. I suppose it could indicate that those two systems weren't set up by the ship Destiny is following.

It might be relevant too that the Ida system seemed to have the same design as the Milky way system. But that may have been an actual Milky Way Gate that was taken to Ida by the Asgard as their sole Gate connection back to the Milky Way.

The ball seems redundant to me. The off-ship Gates don't have them, so it must work without the ball.

I wonder if they'll have to dial a 9-chevron address when the ship is in the galaxy. It would seem like a 7-chevron address would do since the ship is within the system.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Form further research, it looks like they're setting up the Destiny gate system as the VERY first gate system, being the one the Lantean dude was working on when they were leaving the Ori galaxy. I think the idea is that the Destiny is/was meant to be the ultimate Ancient hub of exploration, and the one that ANYONE could gate to from any gate in the universe. The Milky Way and Pegasus gate systems came much later but were ultimately meant to hook to the Destiny gate as well.

Additional: It's Comic-Con this weekend, and Stargate has a major presence. At their booth there's a video with lots of spoiler stuff, including a peek at the Destiny herself!

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/07/comic-con-booth-shows-off-destiny-new-stargate-universe-footage/

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I always thought the U.S.S. General Hammond didn't fit with standard naming conventions. I like George Hammond much better.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Agreed - the US Navy has a bunch of ships named after presidents, admirals and generals, but they're not called the "USS President Lincoln" or somesuch. USS George Hammond, certainly called informally the Hammond, makes perfect sense. Assuming the Sun Tzu wasn't lost, this means that Earth has a total of five starships now (Daedalus, Odyssey, Apollo, and now Hammond), not counting any captured Goa'uld ships the SGC may still have. If they continue with alternating USAF and some other country getting new ships, I wonder who gets the next one... The UK? Australia? Russia again? CANADA?!

Anyway, may the Hammond live a long life under command of the first female commander of an Earth starship. Good thing she carries her F-302s on the inside and not the outside.

Mark

--------------------

Josh
Member # 1884

I eagerly await the RCAF Gretzky BC-404

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps