Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Tron Legacy (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tron Legacy
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to avoid reading spoilers but everyone I know who has seen it so far has really liked it!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it tonight. Really liked it. Tied in to the original just enough, but not overly.

$
$
$
$

I liked the explanation that the world we were seeing in this movie was a "new system". Took away any expectation that it would look like the one from the old movie and in fact explains why it's so much more advanced.

I didn't like the way Tron was used in the movie. Shown just enough to want to see him more. The revelation that he was Clu's enforcer was poorly done. Should've been a much bigger deal.

I thought Sam and Q striking the pose from the original poster at the end was kind of cool.

Also: Olivia Wilde = the Hotness.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$-$-$-$POILER$!

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

The way Tron himself is used in this new movie was one of the biggest disappointments. They turned him into a cheap clone of Darth Vader, without any of the emotional resonance. Tron = Rinzler could have been done well, but it wasn't.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$-$-$-$POILER$!

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

I can't say I was too disappointed at how Tron was used since disappointment is a reaction to expectations unmet. Prior to the seeing the film I did notice a conspicuous lack of Bruce Boxleitner in a glow-in-the-dark leotard in any of the promotional material. So I went into it not expecting much more than a brief cameo so the revelation that the random henchmen was a re-purposed Tron and he saved the day in the end was--believe it or not--a welcome surprise.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$
$
$
$
$
$

That's the feeling I got too... That BB didn't really have any interest in being a starring role in the film. So we got a few minutes of him as Alan and a few minutes of him as Tron. The rest of the time Anis Cheurfa played Rinzler. We didn't even get to see a cool scene like the one in the proof of concept trailer where his helmet lights up and *surprise* it's Tron underneath.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before the spoiler, I'd just like to say I really liked the film. It was well written, and fits in nicely with the original.

All the cool bits were very cool, and they didn't overwhelm the plot. Speaking of which, other than Inception (which was a bit of a case of overplot) I've noticed a staggering lack of originality/plot/substance/memorability in the majority of films this year (not all, but most).

I liked the 3D too (allthough I'm not a great fan of it because I allready have an awkward unattractive pair of glasses to wear without having to put the 3D ones on top). Far better in terms of entertainment value then 'The Blue Man Group Does Titanic' and it didn't drag like that one either.

Not really a $POILER but what the hell
$
$
$
I liked the whole reveal, but I agree with Aban, the visor reveal would have been cool. But I thought it was Jeff Bridges in the Comic-con triler whi did that, wasn't it? Also, Old Jeff is most deffinately The Dude.
$
$

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Yah. The visor reveal in the trailer was Jeff Bridges/Clu. I'm just saying a scene like that one that revealed Rinzler's identity would have been cooler than Flynn just saying his name when we couldn't even see Flynn say it. There was just no emotion to it. We didn't get to see Flynn's emotion. We didn't feel any emotion... it was just kind of "Oh. Yah. Ok."

And then they were on to something else.

And Jeff is totally the Dude. I love how he can sound concerned and totally evil at the same time:
Clu to Quorra: "Where's your disk?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it, and I liked it!! Sure it could have been better, but it wasn't BAD. I just watched the first one again on DVD. Great movie too.

I loved the atmosphere of the whole thing oh and the soundtrack was fantastic.

Wished they showed Sam being digitised.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liked it a lot. Funny thing is, wasn't there a pic or three surfacing of the studio in Vancouver where this was being shot, showing some extras dressed up as programs from the old ENCOM system with the spandex and all? It was good that we didn't have a visual reference to the previous Grid (IMO it would have looked pathetically cheap compared to the foam rubber suits we saw here), but I wonder if there was a missing scene somewhere that was shot of the old system.

Regarding Tron himself, I wonder if there was a real-life reason they didn't have him there. Perhaps the digital model of his face wasn't as detailed as Clu / younger Flynn, given taht we only really saw him in "low rez" flashbacks. Granted we only needed to see his face behind a visor and some digital water, but perhaps they didn't want to have two rubber botox performers? Or maybe more likely, perhaps they want to keep Tron for a possible sequel?

And I wonder a little about what Clu really wanted, or if he was simply nuts. Actualizing a computer program into a human body is one thing, but what about the tanks, planes and huge-ass carrier? What would we end up with, Disney's Automan?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's actually a good point, Mark. What would have come out the rabbit hole? Clu's magic army?

or a legion of CLUeless undocumented illegals? after all, Quarra became flesh & Blood (or not?), wearing clothing suitable to her style... im pretty certain Dysney is going hump the living shit outta this for a 3rd movie (likely shit) to answer all this questions, nobody in their right minds should even be asking...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Why would a sequal to Legacy be shit!?! Infact it should iron out all the kinks and possibly build apon what it has set out! I reckon it has the potential to be completely kick-arse!

I wonder if Quorra would have finger prints or a belly button?

I don't think CLU really had any idea of what was on the outside.

I'd love if they got into what Quorra really is in the real world! She's just information transformed into matter. Could she end up with super-human abilities??

Also - Flynn's own code is part of her iDNA (just made that up). So you could say that she is his creation. Like a daughter. So if Sam and Quorra got it on... wouldn't that be a bit... wrong!?!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
What would we end up with, Disney's Automan?

I wondered about that too. How did Clu know what would happen to all his cool weapons and stuff in the real world? Maybe they'd be materialized as Tonka toys. And where would they appear?

I can just see that carrier and his whole army being rematerialized in Flynn's Arcade, then the building collapsing on them. End of invasion.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
exactly. actually it would whipe out the block, if it finished 'porting into reality before the power was knocked out at all (either partially or not)... has any of the animators said 'what-if's about it? i imagine they thought the same, logically i hope...

but no, i really dont want a sequal. i mean, did anyone want T3 or Alien3 or 4?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And I wonder a little about what Clu really wanted, or if he was simply nuts. Actualizing a computer program into a human body is one thing, but what about the tanks, planes and huge-ass carrier? What would we end up with, Disney's Automan?
Clu wasn't nuts. He's a computer program. He was acting out his programming, which was to create the System based on Flynn's idea of perfection. When things started changing (i.e. the emergence of the ISO's), Clu couldn't adapt to the change because his programming didn't allow him to. So the only choice he had was to de-evolve the System back to the status quo and destroy anything that wasn't part of Flynn's original idea. In that sense, he's the perfect villain.

As for what would happen th Clu's army and machines? If Sam could enter the System with his physical belongings intact (his clothes in this instance, unlike in the first movie where Flynn was immediately dressed like a program), then it's logical to assume that it works both ways. But who knows?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well that quantum teleporter or whatever that was is basically converts matter to energy and back again. So in theory it'd recreate the physical shape of everything Clu sent through, but whether or not any of it would work in our world is another question. After all, here we have things like gravity, atoms and other physical laws that makes much of what works fine on the grid completely useless.

Mind you we did see that a program could transition intact so just by the sheer manpower and the element of surprise, Clu would have an enormous advantage, even if the recognisers would appear as giant inert blocks.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps