Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Tron Legacy (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tron Legacy
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, he did have a lot of troops, but if all his machinery suddenly stopped working, it's not like he could take over the world. He'd essentially be bringing (let's say) several thousand troops into completely unknown territory, fighting a completely unknown force on their turf without weapons or vehicles.

Even if his technology did function on some level, he wouldn't get very far. Say he starts wiping things out the moment he arrives. How far do you think he'd get before the US military mobilized everything it had and completely surrounded him? He'd have no retreat option and no supply line, not to mention the sudden need to provide food, drink, and bathroom breaks for several thousand troops.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hense why i think another movie would be stupid... unless it wasn't even about the grid world, but the repercusions of having Quarra in our world (but then it's no longer called Tron but something else entirely...)

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great movie! I didn't get to see it in 3-D but it still looked good in 2-D. I found the idea of Clu and his merry men still making it through the portal kinda suspenseful, even if it the science behind it was questionable. For what it's worth, Sam still bled like a human in the Grid, so maybe the physiology of the 'Griddites' would remain intact in the real world? I'm not really disappointed at Darth Tron, though I can't see his redemption as enough of a subject to warrant a third film. I mean with Clu's regime toppled and most if not all of his army destroyed, who would be the new villain? Also I didn't really understand Clu's hatred of the ISOs, since they seemed indistinguishable from non-ISOs save for that mark on their arms. I guess he just grew jealous of them once Flynn became interested in them.

Also the music was great, Daft Punk really outdid themselves. It kinda reminded me of music from the Half-Life games.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also wondering again - did the whole movie take place inside that computer in Flynn's secret office? I would assume that the original ENCOM computer where it all originally happened has evolved further. Technically the 'games' on the grid were representations of the different computer games of the time - pong, snakes etc. What popular computer programmes would be played in the ENCOM system now-a-days? WoW? Halo? Farmville!?! Hahah!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I highly recommend checking out the graphic novel that serves as a bridge between TRON and TRON Legacy. It explains Clu's hatred of the Isos: basically, they're completely random and cause instability in his perfect system.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about them is random exactly? That they spawn out of nowhere? What's the name of the novel BTW.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, they spawned out of the system. Flynn didn't create them and neither did Clu. The novel is called TRON Betrayal. I'm sure you can find it at your favourite comic book store. Myself, I bought it (and all my other current TRON mechandise) at Disney parks. [Smile]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have to get Betrayal to look through, sounds good. [Smile]

I think it's implicitly stated, albeit vaguely, that the movie takes place inside Flynn's server in the basement lab, literally the "new grid". The first movie took place in and around ENCOM's own servers, which in 1982 may have had the equivalent of industrial-strength modem connections with other servers (hence how the MCP was stealing other programs from SAC and other businesses). The individual arcade boxes obviously weren't networked, and I'm willing to believe that the game being played at the top of the original film was simply Sark and some other program playing on the grid as a parallel to the much simpler version in the arcade, just to show that INSIDE every computer in 1982 you have little guys in spandex outfits running around on awesome motorbikes.

Flynn's grid was obviously ahead of its time, and yet large enough chunks of it could be downloaded into Sam's keyfob. One does wonder then what the "actual" internet looks like from the inside now, though, with wifi, social networking and such. The original implies that programs generally look after the people that wrote / compiled / used them. What would it be like now? What if Sam anad Q hooked the laser up to a laptop hooked up to a Starbucks wireless hotspot and hit go?

And I'm still thinking Clu had a bad sector somewhere. His job was to create the perfect system, yes - and he did it. Ambition to rebuild the world of his creator after his grid, or any ambition outside of the grid whatsoever, should not have been part of his original programming. However his desire to conquer the world outside came about, I think it was sparked by the same thing that sparked the creation of the ISOs, which ironically are indirectly his creation as it is.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

And now we get a cartoon to boot...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Awesome!

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always nice to see Bruce in work. Which reminds me, one of these days I should try playing Tron 2.0 again. Never did get much past the first level, only really used it for the light cycle grid.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Yeah I was thinking of buying a copy from this website that sells old games for cheap. The game seems to be really rare, and used copies fetch for ridiculous prices on Amazon. There's a game out there based on the recent movie, but from what I hear its kinda bland.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps