Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x01-1x02 "Air, Parts 1&2" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x01-1x02 "Air, Parts 1&2" $$
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite sure I'm liking Stargate Universe so far. There's definitely something... wrong about Rush. And I do hope they revisit the notion that somebody tipped off the Lucian Alliance.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it quite a bit. It has the feel that Atlantis did at first, only even more urgent and trapped-like-a-rat-y. I only hope they don't end up getting a connection back to Earth like Atlantis did and ruining what was for me the whole point of the series...

I think Rush is *supposed* to have something wrong with him.

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no intention of watching this show. I was leery about it before, and my dad was always the Stargate person anyway (though I watched SG-1 to see Claudia Black in pigtails). But what tipped it for me was (ok, going to add spoiler space here)

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

that casting call for someone to play a quadraplegic who, through a body-swap storyline, becomes non-"useless", learns to love and turns the lesbian character straight (at least temporarily).

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

SERIOUSLY. There are so many kinds of wrong in that, I don't even know where to start.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. That pretty much says it all.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Response to
$
$
$
$
$

How do they bring someone aboard the Destiny? Aren't they cut off from everyone else? That right there tells you they must make contact with Earth. However, ties back to the SGC are likely to be limited since all the sets were turned into Icarus Base.

I don't have cable, but I'll be ordering the DVDs.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I thought the story was at least enjoyable, I find the series lacks originality. Being separated light-years from Earth isn't original. At times I thought they were trying be like nu-BSG, there were some BSG-like zoom ins and shaky cam. And searching for the "one true nerd" to save the galaxy/ do something important through medium of video games, did TPTB think no one else but themselves saw The Last Starfighter?

Edit:Interestingly enough, the character of Claire Bennett from Heroes is temporarily going to be a lesbian. Guess there must be a severe outbreak of orientation swapping in TV Land.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
How do they bring someone aboard the Destiny? Aren't they cut off from everyone else?

Rush has a briefcase that he claims contains Ancient communication stones (the same sort that allowed O'Neil and Homer Simpson to see each others' lives, and that allowed Daniel's and Vala's consciousnesses to travel to the Ori galaxy). Rush also claims that he's already used one to get in touch with O'Neil and that O'Neil put him in charge.

However, Rush seemed pretty intent on not letting anybody use them to verify that. In fact, he seemed pretty intent on not letting anybody even see them.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You asked for a case."
"A case with 4 stones in it! Not one or two or three but four! What the hell am I supposed to do with an empty case?"
"We are warriors. Not merchants."
"BUT YOU CAN STILL COUNT!"

Sorry.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well somebody watched Battlestar Galactica. (And you know what? That's not a bad thing to shoot for.) I think I kind of liked it. Pretty good music. There certainly were some bad-archetype over-simplified-character problems (and some horrendously underexplained tech-wizardry (sans the fun of Rodney McKay's manic ego)), I will definitely be tuning in for more episodes. One ep in, and while there has been some rocky stuff, I did make it through first season Atlantis, and let's not talk about B5.

Kind of cool to see some our Stargate heroes of olde in guest spots. Not sure what was up with Diamond Lou being in there. I too liked the hint that the Lucien alliance got tipped. Curious to see who our baddies will be. Maybe something with enough make-up that we can have Chris Heyerdahl again?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm rather hoping for a "no baddies" show. The SG franchise has this nasty habit of hyping up a new big bad to such gargantuan, unstoppable proportions that when they do inevitably stop them it all seams a little too easy.

This time round I think (read: hope) the focus will be more on character conflict and a little bit of old fashioned exploration and wonder.

As for the stones, well we did actually see Rush use one to take over wots-iz-face science blokey. As for all of Rush's shifty behaviour, it looks like they're setting him up as an almost Baltar like antagonist, though I'm going to go out on a limb and call red herring on that.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it. A good change up to the ol' formula, with a much cleaner slate to start with than Altantis had. My (mostly tech-related) notes:

- The Destiny, so far, has a great "steampunk" look to it that makes it look old and dirty without really BEING old and dirty. The look is unlike Atlantis, but seeing as the construction of the two are separated by at LEAST several hundred thousand years there's plenty of time for the Ancient design ethic to change.

- Despite being a basically symmetrical design, the Destiny has various greeblies which are not so. Most interesting is the placement of the two shuttles on the port and centerline, with a dome of some sort on the starboard area where you'd think the shuttle should be.

- We don't know what that dome was other than that it looks like a large empty space with a hole in the actual dome. They're not getting in there anytime soon; in fact I think that they won't find the bridge, engineering, sickbay or any other "typical" starship sets you'd see on other shows for a while. This is good because it potentially allows the show to "discover" new sets on occasion if/when they find the resources to do repairs, keeping things fresh-ish on the design side.

- On that note, they seem to have put some forethought into WHERE certain sets are on the ship as there's an external visual reference. We see the dome, the damaged shuttle, and the forward observation lounge all in the same area... We don't know where the quarters, control room (or whatever it's called where Wallace and Rush spend most of the time tapping buttons), or Kino room (which looks to be an away team prep room) are. They're certainly all clustered in the same area of the ship we've seen so far, which is centered on their gate room, itself probably somewhere in the central raised "spine" of the ship.

- We do see weapons turrets of some sort... I doubt that we'd see them in use anytime soon, either. However, it does mark a change from Atlantis which seemed to rely on drone weapons exclusively.

- The most distinguishing single feature of the exterior is probably the pyramid-shaped block off the central back. It's got lots of windows, so I'm guessing crew quarters or the bridge or something, but IMO they're not up there yet.

- The Destiny shuttles look identical from the outside. The interior set shows that they have a crew of five plus seating for twelve passengers.

- How big is the Destiny? Not as big as Atlantis for sure, though it's larger overall than a Daedalus-class ship. Almost anticlimactic, really - I was hoping for it to be almost as large as Atlantis, but certainly larger than any other ship we've seen before. From the looks of it, it would still be smaller than most Goa'uld ships.

- Oh, speaking of Daedaluses and Ha'takses: it certainly was convenient that the shiny new USS George Hammond (Colonel Samantha Carter, CO) had no Asgard beam weapons to cut the Lucian Alliance fleet to shreds. I've seen discussion already that "Air" happens mere weeks after the Atlantis finale... If that's true, then the rest of the Earth fleet isn't in that great shape following the Wraith superhive ship attack. Following the SGC track record, I guess it makes sense for the new Hammond to be sent out on a milk run to a secret base relatively close to home without all her systems operational (Odyssey and Korolev were launched before they were ready as well).

- They re-established contact with Earth a lot quicker than I thought they would - spoilers suggested they'd find an Ancient communications device on board early on, but it turns out they brought a homemade version WITH them in the first place. They didn't explicitly SAY so, but I'm guessing that when the Hammond detected the stargate functional but that they didn't gate to Earth, they dropped Dr. Lee in a chair next to their active other end and told him to wait for someone to pick up the phone.

Shorter notes:

- Hey! Walter's been re-assed to the Pentagon?

- On Icarus base (which is a re-dress of the old SGC sets), everyone had the Atlantis-style earwigs, which obviously don't work on the Destiny.

- Ona Grauer plays Col. Young's wife. She's best known as the frozen-Ancient-hot-chick that SG-1 found in Antactica a while back.

- Carter reports twelve confirmed dead with 80+ unaccounted for - this presumably makes up the initial crew of the Destiny.

- If the Destiny was sent out unmanned, why are her CO2 scrubbers full of black caviar crap?

- They say the ship looks like it's been through a battle. Hm, perhaps the ship has had a crew before at some point? The Ancients DO make stuff to last...

- Pet theory of the week: Rush lost his wife and wants to ascend as a way out of his life.

More in head... Need to watch it again, which I think will be pretty enjoyable to do. Looking forward to the third part!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
- If the Destiny was sent out unmanned, why are her CO2 scrubbers full of black caviar crap?
I think they said the compound had simple broken down and decayed due to extreme age, not through continuous use.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also saw Major Marks was now serving on board the Hammond - Man that guy gets transferred around a lot.

Anyway, the premiere held a lot of promise. Certainly Dr Rush is already showing the more gray tone of the characters rather than the typical good/evil archetypes.

Also, what was up with the Icarus base uniforms? They didn't appear to be Air Force despite several Air Force personnel serving there. Maybe Homeworld security has it's own operational division now and post officers outside of Earth?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Personally, I think it would be cool if, at some point, they find out there have been other people who have found the ship and set up shop there in the past. I mean Destiny has been around for a *really* long time. Who says the Earthers have to have been the first to get aboard?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Major Marks has been on EVERY USAF starship since the Prometheus at some point. He just can't get a break to unpack - he's been living out of his duffel bag for four years!

I'm guessing that a sci-fi series needs cooler uniforms than standard BDUs. No worries, since the SGC has been operating with nonstandard uniforms since the beginning (also Atlantis, where Sheppard had his own spectrum of outfits). The Icarus Base patch DOES say "United States Air Force" on it, which is a switch from the SGC type of patches. Also, everyone seems to have a name on their outfit for a change.

Finally, not a P-90 in sight. I love it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.