Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x01-1x02 "Air, Parts 1&2" $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x01-1x02 "Air, Parts 1&2" $$
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I'm rather hoping for a "no baddies" show.

Yeah...it would be nice to have them deal with themselves for a while. Also, if they were to come into contact with a hostile race, they probably wouldn't last long. I doubt they brought more ammo for their weapons than what they were carrying with them, which would be (judging by the g-36 rifles they carry), to be around 120-150 rifle rounds per person, and maybe 30 or 40 pistol rounds. Maybe they'll find a way to trade for new weapons, or something. WHo knows. It adds to the overall "We're stranded out here, come and attack us" vibe I am gtting from the show.

Actually, at first, "Oh my god, this is Stargate: Voyager!" ran through my head. Hopefully that proves to be false. I just started watching SGA a few weeks ago, starting at the beginning with the help of the internet, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Hopefully this is just as fun to watch.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of Homeworld Security having their own operational arm, made up of personnel from various military and intelligence branches. The fact that the *entire* Stargate program was under USAF jurisdiction always seemed a bit odd to me, though I can't explain why (and it does make sense for the ships to be USAF and not Navy imho). They did have marines in the SGC, but never any mention of Army (that I can remember).
OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liking it so far... although I did get a very big nuBSG image in my head with that camera work and the whole tone of that episode.

And what's with the Hammond and no beam weapons? I was expecting them to tear those Lucian ships apart. I had a mental conversation along the lines of:

"O'Neil: You left spacedock without an Asgard beam weapon?
Carter: It doesn't arrive until Tuesday."

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

And WTF was that about the Senator sacrificing himself to save the air, not long after they find a crap load of FLOATING REMOTE CONTROL CAMERAS. Was I the only one thinking of sticking a pencil or something on the end of one those Kino's, and just floating it in there and close the door? If a nearly dead Senator can be taught to close it in a few seconds, surely the same could have been done with one of those Kino's by remote.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably just didn't occur to them. Also possible that the controls have a tactile response so you DON'T do stuff like that by accident.

I think they're trying hard to communicate that the people here are NOT the do-anything superhero geniuses you'd find in SG-1 or Atlantis. These ARE the guys on the SG teams that get swallowed by black holes, or who populate the offworld research stations that get eaten by bugs. Would Carter or McKay have been able to fix the door or think of the kino solution? Probably. Not these guys, and that's the point.

Regarding USAF jurisdiction: The US armed forces in real life already places ANYTHING space-military related in the hands of USAF, like spy satellite control, the Star Wars program, etc. The SG program has always been a logical extension of that, with O'Neill and the original motion picture team being from USAF special forces. It's possible that Homeworld Security is growing as a result of SG program, and now oversees the SGC, starship programs, and so on. Sorta like NASA, except under military jurisdiction.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to watch it again, but was the entire Icarus base a privately funded project by the Senator?

Seems a little strange to me that anyone would invest their own money in discovering the purpose of the 9th chevron which is neither a goal obtainable in a foreseeable amount of time or something you could get your money back on.

Alternatively, if he's only funding the program and not the facility itself, it's odd that we don't see a larger assortment of nationalities now that the IOA is pushing international cooperation.

Also, when the planet exploded, shouldn't that have caused the wormhole to disengage? When Tanith (Methos from Highlander or w/e his name was)crashed an Al'kesh into the gate it caused it to shut down the wormhole and trapped Teal'c. I'd assume an exploding planet would have nothing short of the same effect.

Side note, it was nice seeing Carter in charge of the Hammond and Daniel on the training video, although I cringed at seeing for the millionth time stock footage of the gate opening in the pilot when there were tarps laying all over the place. Seriously guys, you've had a standing set of the gate room for 13 years, shoot another plate of it!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The SG program has always been a logical extension of that, with O'Neill and the original motion picture team being from USAF special forces.
Actually, O'Neil in the movie was a marine.

I wonder how the military is going to explain the mysterious disappearance/death of a US Senator. That's pretty high profile, right there. Plane crash, I guess, but that's a sizable cover-up. But then, apparently not only do Senators get to know about the gate program, so do their relatively low-level aides/daughters.

Hm. They implied that Eli's memory would have been wiped had he not cooperated. Aside from being a moderately creepy and disturbing thing for the heroes of the story to do, it might explain why the gate program is still a secret. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A marine? O'Neil's uniform looked awfully USAF to me...

http://www.hyperespace.org/spaceopera/pics/sg_colonel.jpg

Marine uniforms are green, no? I've watched JAG...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't speak as to uniforms, nor can I find the source I read that at. May have been one of the non-SG1 Stargate novels. Claim withdrawn. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the briefing room scene of the Stargate film he wore the USAF uniform, so that pretty much settles it.

-

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone ducks for cover...

Okay - been a huge fan on the whole Stargate collection. Atlantis was the lost series which sucked because of the poor writing, not the premise.
And it died too early, and the Wraith won (think about it - Nobody to stop their plans), and so many cool ideas wasted.
I watched Universe last night with anticipation.
Half way through the second episode, I actually nearly turned off.
General theme - BSG vs Voyager. Battlestar Galactica was a great series, but probably drove a lot of people to killing themselves as it was also so dark and depressing. Voyager... well, that was dark and depressing also, but for different reasons. What we have here is a shades of grey series, where they are trying to get back home. And we know that for the next 5 or less seasons of the show, that is the goal. Great - spoils the idea of "what they going to do this week".
Doctor Rush... What a dull, meak, boring little man he is. Hardly says anything during the first two episodes and what he does say makes little sense. "this could be the most important discovery since the stargate itself"?
Errr. No that would be Atlantis. The Destiny is an inferior model - its Ancient compared to other more recent Ancient stuff like Atlantis. The collected Knowledge of the Ancients can easily be accessed through the Atlantis Database or the Head Devices (assuming they found more). And thats the recent stuff. Not stuff from an era where the Ancients were steampunk.
So why is the ship so important aside from the very cool FTL drive it has... which begs questions as to why later model ancient stuff did not use the same technology...
So what is so impantant about it? Aside from perhaps it has a list of stargates in other galaxies. big whoop.
The cast. I think I can sum this up simply as dull. I did not connect with one of them. They could have all got sucked out in to space and I would not have minded. The only one that did stir emotion was the guy with obvious mental problems who really should never have got through SGC screening because he has pyschotic tendencies. I was actually rooting for him to get sucked out in to space.
The Kino thing was bad too with the door. I was sitting there grumbling under my breath about the whole use it to shut the door. And I know they are not super geniuses, but and this is a big but. They are morons for not thinking of it. And do I really want to watch a series about morons? Not really. Stargate has always been about wonder, and discovery. Challenge the fans with extreme and fantastic plots. To have the fans shouting at the TV because the characters in it are thick is not a great way to start a series. I sincerely hope the writers realise this as a few more thick mistakes like this, and the fans will rapidly abandon the series and it may just last one or two seasons.

The attack was also pointless. The Hammond was supposed to be a fully functional ship - no beam weapons? And its taking a beating from three mother ships. That is a bad mark on Sam's record. Dont rewrite what we are capable of.

And finally, the thing that spoilt it all for me at least.
Knock knock. hello. Door opens to the guy who I did not recognise. Conversation goes on and I am sitting there, looking at this general, thinking to myself... That guy is familiar... who is he? The shades are obscuring his face...
Only later at the pentagon, I actually realise that that General was RDA...
Jack is "The" hero. And here was General Desk job fatty Jack. He saved the world time and time again, got promoted, and put on quite a few pounds. I remember Jack saving the world. Now all I see is Jack with Jowles. This is no disrespect to RDA - but I would much rather have remember Save the world Jack as he was.. bad move again. Some things should just have been left as they were. Even his lines were dead, rahter than dead pan.

A depressing, unimpressing, overhyped and flawed start to what could be a very misrable and depressing series. All writers know first impressions count... and this is not a good start.
I seem to remember another series like this... what was it called... Secondprise?? Cant remember...

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Secondprise. You're very clever.

It's the pilot. Of course they'll work out bugs.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it was what we were calling it after suffering our way throught two seasons...
And I honestly hope they do work out the bugs.
As always I am being my usual subjective self on this. I am a huge fan of all the series but so far, the balance of comedy vs action seems to have been replaced with a poor shell of BSG with a hint of Stargate and someone forgot to bring the comedy bag... There is potential, just not entirely sure where.

--------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's "we"? I liked the first two seasons of Enterprise.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know why, but I keep getting visions of the ship from "Event Horizon" in some of the scenes. Probably just the lighting and moodiness but the door locks kinda hit me that way.

I hope they don't turn Rush into a Doctor Zachary Smith imitation. None of the other characters, including Eli really stand out. We'll see.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see where you are coming from with that - the Destiny and the Event Horizon both had large aft structures, with an elongated neck section at the front so I suppose they do have features in common. Wonder how long it will take Space Begbie to start clawing out people's eyes and quoting Latin? [Smile]

Personally I really liked the show - for once it was good to see a crew who weren't composed of military heroes and genius scientists. They don't always work out the smartest way to solve a problem, which is nice to see. I hope to see more of Eli, and really want them to keep Rush's motivations ambiguous for as long as possible. Making him an out-and-out scheming villain would be boring.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps