Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x03 "Air, Part 3" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x03 "Air, Part 3" $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the story continues...

• Body snatchers!
  • Sentient wind that needs water!
  • Random shuttle launch!

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The communication stones are starting to bug me a bit...not knowing for sure who is who is a bit confusing. And who would willingly give up their body to another person? Maybe it just switches the two people on either end of the stones, as Telford and Young were switched. I assume that that somewhat bitchy woman in the pink pantsuit inhabited Chloe's body. And Telford...I swear we say TJ (or whatever her name is) trying and failing to save him back on Icarus base. [Confused]
We do get an authentication that Rush used the stones to contact Earth though, so his authority does seem legit for now. Either that, or Col. Young superseded him when he regained consciousness.

Aside from that, I found it to be an interesting episode. A bit of filler...but a nice episode all the same. We're getting to know the characters already, which I find a refreshing change from other series, where it normally takes the better part of the season, or even most of the series to really delve into the characters. We also learned that the ship isn't really as big as it seemed in the first 2 parts, as during the last scene, we see that Scott's window is clearly visible, and rather large proportionally. I'd estimate maybe 200-300 meters, and maybe 7 or 8 decks tall.(possibly more when counting that pyramid thingy.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting to like where this is going a bit more. They're taking the principle of Atlantis and going a lot further with the whole "out of touch, out of their league" thing. Though the 12-hour "ticking clock" gimmick will get real old, real fast.

It's good to see aliens that you DON'T communicate with (directly, anyway; who knows if the hallucinations were induced).

For Sean's questions:

The whole thing with the communications stones was already established in SG-1. It's a two-way thing under most circumstances, and obviously Telford and Young both consented as part of their job.

Telford was a F-302 pilot during the battle, he wasn't on the base.

Concerning ship size, I think the ship is easily in the 500m+ range, after all, it was a long pull-back from the window at the end.

Also, I hope that shuttle can manage FTL, too! [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other question: when the Ancients planted all those Stargates, didn't they also plant any DHD's? The beautiful thing about the original Milky Way gate system is that anyone could figure out how to use it once they have the right addresses. But if you need to have a fancy tricorder to dial the gate, that's not very nice for anyone else who stumbles across the network in the mean time.

It's obvious that those two shmucks who tried to check out another planet couldn't leave said planet because the guy with the remote control didn't follow them through. Therefore, they had no way to get back to the ship.

Generally I'm not a fan of ambiguity, but I kinda like wondering what happened to those two.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:

For Sean's questions:

The whole thing with the communications stones was already established in SG-1. It's a two-way thing under most circumstances, and obviously Telford and Young both consented as part of their job.

Telford was a F-302 pilot during the battle, he wasn't on the base.

Concerning ship size, I think the ship is easily in the 500m+ range, after all, it was a long pull-back from the window at the end.

Also, I hope that shuttle can manage FTL, too! [Wink]

Thanks for clearing all that up for me. I guess I wasn't paying very close attention to the first episode. I haven't watched much of SG1 (having only recently become interested in the franchise through Atlantis re-runs, and watching it online), so I'm not too well versed on the mythos. [Smile]

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that was a shuttle that launched at the end. It looked roughly spherical. But what else could it be?

I found the idea of traversing enough desert wasteland in 6 hours (cuz you have to have time to get back) to find a mineral deposit kind of silly. And there were no landmarks whatsoever, so I hope they had some 'find the gate sensor' on each team. (Not to mention, I hope Sargent Crazy had a find-the-lieutenant sensor, because otherwise he found him way too easily.)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was certainly nice to get out of the claustrophobic environment of the first two episodes. I suspect that'll be something they can play up as needed as the series progresses.

The thing with the communication stones was bound to get confusing, and I'm not sure I like their solution. I think at first we should see the person whose body has been snatched at least until we establish that they've convinced the other person, or unless we're only interested in their perspective. They did a nice job of mixing that up in the ep of SG1 with Vala and Daniel "encountering" the Ori. I just didn't like it ONLY being the person inhabiting that body. Great concept though. Used fairly well this ep (too much crying) and I really liked RDA's performance here.

LOVED that the "alien" presence was so very alien. Probably they will have to mix it up with some forehead aliens, but hope they'll keep the really different "forces" type as well.

Some big loose ends with the two stranded crewman. We never got to see the planet they went to (even Kino information). No radio contact, etc. What I found strange was no one mentioned anything further about it. Just gone. Half-expected something after Telford ordered the one scientist to look into overriding the lockout on the other addresses. But no. Like that just dropped away, and rather than it feeling like something that gets called back later, it felt like something that got dropped. I do wonder whether the pod-thing that swooped off at the end was intended to retrieve them (for good or ill). I took a screen cap (but Flare upload is telling me I need 250 posts to upload for some odd reason, err, hello?), it certainly didn't look like one of the shuttles we saw before, and in fact, didn't really look like it was supposed to be part of the ship. Interesting, though.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still holding out with the "no-aliens" idea. I suspect that (or would like to think) that the swirly-dust-devil-of-ambiguous-helpfulnessTM was either something to do with Destiny itself or something the seed ship left behind, or it's the ancients themselves. I'm sure they're at least watching as they seam to do little else.

Either way, I would just really like for there not to be any humanoid aliens at all on this one and DEFIANTLY no parasitic aliens controlling/mutating human bodies.

I like the serial format they seam to be adopting here. One of the (many) things that bothered me about the episodic nature of both Atlantis and Voyager was that things became routine just a little too quick...like immediately after the pilot.

As for the thing that detached at the end...well I suppose it's possible they're not alone on the ship.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would also like to know what happened to the two who went through the gate to one of the other addresses. What WAS that thing that detached itself from the Destiny. Maybe it was an automated retrieval system for those two left behind?

Hmm, the swirly thing - alien from that planet or an Ancient?

I just hope they don't resort to needing to go back to the Replicators again when they run out of idea for stories or enemies.

Still interested in getting to see Furlings somewhere along the line. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I don't think that was a shuttle that launched at the end. It looked roughly spherical. But what else could it be?

I took another look at the takeoff at the end... the reason we don't recognize it is because it's the aft end; it was facing forward as it detached from the ship, that glowing red thing must be the engine.
quote:
I found the idea of traversing enough desert wasteland in 6 hours (cuz you have to have time to get back) to find a mineral deposit kind of silly. And there were no landmarks whatsoever, so I hope they had some 'find the gate sensor' on each team. (Not to mention, I hope Sargent Crazy had a find-the-lieutenant sensor, because otherwise he found him way too easily.)
Though I didn't agree with the argued use of the Kino to close that shuttle door (they seem to be non-interactive), this seems to have been the perfect time to send out a few dozen Kinos in all directions.

As for Greer finding Scott, that kinda got compressed, but here's what I assumed happened from the two shots: Greer was heading outwards from the gate and came across Scott's tracks, then followed Scott's tracks until he found him. It just seemed, from the timing, that it was a perfect coincidence.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for the two who went through to the locked-out address, I think we're supposed to assume that the planet was not, in fact, safe, and something killed them, since they stopped responding to radio contact.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate it when tv shows, movies, and books do that; have a mysterious force kill off characters who chose not to follow the group dynamic. I want to know what killed them, don't tease me with "we lost radio contact!", tell me how they died. Give a concrete reason why other characters shouldn't have followed them to the other planet besides their implied death.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I sometimes say the same thing as MNW. However, I think that it's quite realistic to not get all the answers. They already established that they had limited power for dialing the gate. Were they in a condition to jeopardize the rest of the group to rescue two knuckleheads?

As for not following "the group dynamic," I have a different phrase: "disobeying orders." This is a military outfit, those guys (or two of them) were soldiers, and their job was to do what their commander instructed. What they did constitutes desertion.

--------------------

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also felt that it would have been the smart thing to load up a dozen of the spaceballs and send them out in all directions. Just how long is a backpack full of lime suppose to last in those scrubbers? I can't imagine it lasting that long.

As for the ship launch at the end, I just had the feeling that there was possibly another presence that had been checking the ship out and then left. As in setting up an entry of an antagonist. I really hope not, I would like to see this have kind of an "Earth 2" feel of trying to survive without the weekly bad guy.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it's Tim Curry.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.