Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ BSG "The Plan" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ BSG "The Plan" $$
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got done watching "The Plan". A good movie, I think, even with a bunch of re-used footage. It primarily follows the two Cavils (the one on Galactica and the one on Caprica) and fills in a lot of the gaps from the first two seasons.

I think what I found the most interesting was the fact that the Simons got fleshed out way more than they ever did during the series.

I was disappointed the plot only begins immediately before the attack on the Colonies. I was really hoping for seeing how the Final Five struck the bargain with the centurions to end the "first" Cylon War or how the Significant Seven were created/raised or how the Final Five got boxed.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure exactly why I should've been expecting, but I was kinda disappointed. I think that's because, when you get right down to it, there WAS NO FRAKKIN' PLAN.

For all the amazing success in the Cylons wiping out the Twelve Colonies in their attack, they had absolutely no follow-up plan to mop up the leftovers. And the fact that the fleet got away was because of the obvious holes that we saw in the miniseries. And that means that Cavil's "plan" was just a childlike tantrum.

And we didn't even get to see what was happening on the actual Cylon fleet (for example, in "33"), just Cavil's lame attempt to single-handedly clean everything up.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Random impressions...

The Good: The part when you get a brief look at all of the colonies burning was fantastic and added a sense of scope that was absent from the mini. Plus of course the hybrids are always oddly fascinating to listen to.

Stockwell did a great job of practically carrying the whole film, while playing two versions of the same character no less.

The Not So Good: Frankly, I could have done without all the nudity. Not for any prudish reason, just that it only seamed to be there because they could get away with it on a DVD. On the other hand, like with the glimpses of the other colonies, it could be a thinly disguised gearing up to the 'Caprica' series.

Unfortunately the whole thing seams to fall apart towards the end as it becomes more about joining the dots and looses a sense of narrative focus. It might have helped a little if they had spliced in some of the events from or immediately following 'Downloaded' as watching the film on it's own, the Cylon withdrawal comes seemingly out of nowhere.

Also, now I'm even more confused as to how Boomer's "sleeper" programming works. When she's talking to Cavil it's as if she's only pretending the rest of the time. Plus there's the suggestion that it was in fact the "Sleeper" personality that was fighting her orders whereas before one was left with the impression that it was "Boomer" that was fighting her programming. Side Note: Wasn't there a thing about carved wooden elephants in her apartment on Caprica in 'Downloaded'?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I appreciated the much more accurate beautyshots of the BS Valkyrie (it looked slick and elegant next to Galactica's utilistic approach and Pegasus' brawn), and the nudity. Not because of any anti-prudish reasons, but because in these still very conservative days of television, it is a breath of fresh air to watch a production that wants to take chances when given the opportunity. Also, the idea of a female character going for a drink at a continental model/tittybar is oddly appealing, in a sexy-decadent way of showing the sins of Colonial Humnity that added to their undoing.

The interaction between the Four and his adopted family was interesting, showing their schizoid and deeply confused nature when it comes to adapting to human customs. To them it seems to be like getting drunk, to try on "rituals" denied them on the Basestars.

Also glad that Stockwell got to stretch his legs. And for the quote "Wh...where did the bottle go?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish they had detailed Daniel the other cylon. Com'on he HAD to be Kara Thrace's father.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I gather, there was never any more than a single copy of Daniel which Cavil killed and somehow corrupted his resurrection pod. Also, all of this would have taken place some time after the end of the Cylon War but before Adama met Saul.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still would have been nice to see. AND Still think it was Kara's father. [Smile]

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From BSG Wiki;

quote:
After the episode "No Exit" aired, many fans on the official Sci-Fi Channel forum were convinced that Daniel was responsible for many of the mysteries in the show, was Starbuck's father, was responsible for the "head" visions of Baltar and Caprica Six, etc.
This phenomenon, called the "Cult of Daniel" by Ronald D. Moore, was unintended, and Moore took the unusual step of unequivocally stating in the subsequent podcast for "Islanded in a Stream of Stars" that Daniel was not Starbuck's father and would not play a larger part in the series.
Although he usually did not rule out any fan theories or explanations, he felt the "Daniel theory" had taken a life of its own and would lead many of its proponents to disappointment in the finale. He also apologized if people felt the writers were leading them to incorrect conclusions. The only purpose of Daniel was to explain the gap in the Cylon model numbers and serve as a Cain-and-Abel backstory.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yeah I know. Thanks for the quote. Still think he's her Father. It just fits nicely.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Kara is not a Cylon, or a daughter of a Cylon. Because she was somehow "resurrected," people think this. But she was resurrected because she was supposed to be a Christ figure, not a Cylon (IMHO).

But on the same note: You know what would have been ultimate fanwankery? If Kara's father was played by Dirk Benedict [Smile]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like that idea a lot better. It would explain why Kara took up smoking cigars... [Big Grin]

I picked up on the idea of Daniel being Kara's father, but I don't think it fits at all. For one thing, the dialogue between Cavil and Ellen indicates that the Sevens were never finished, that Cavil corrupted/poisoned them before they were finished. Second, it does take away from Kara's return to the living. She didn't come back in a resurrection tub, the came back in a whole new fighter. It's obvious that the higher power at work did the job, and they had no connection to the Cylons.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK, OK let me amend my statement - Kara being Daniel's daughter made HEAPS of sense... all the way up until the finale. It doesn't work after Daybreak.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I see your point, Andrew, but I don't agree. After all, all the clues about what happened to Kara were there well before the finale. We knew that the Not-Leoben that she saw wasn't related to the Cylons, and that the Cylons didn't have the ability to resurrect her in the way that we saw. Plus, her "spidey-sense" for where to go (she thought) to find Earth couldn't have anything to do with the Cylons, or her being one. And the new Viper being able to pick up the old distress signal from light-years away was far beyond Cylon capabilities (especially because no other ships could hear the signal).

Therefore, Kara being in any way related to the Cylons would be unrelated to anything we knew about her. IMO, of course.

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://trekmovie.com/2009/12/14/watch-ron-moores-caprica-pilot-online-trek-vets-on-newsweek-best-of-decade/

Feast and discuss!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I'll have to see it (though there's no nudity in this version, WTF).
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps