Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x08 "Time" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x08 "Time" $$
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whaddaya know... A good episode with no "Is Rush Evil?" tacked on.

Destiny really does seem to have a mind of its own, assuming that it came to this planet specifically because it had a cure to the disease.

"What... the..." *commercial break* [Big Grin]

The ending was a bit ambiguous, but I suppose Scott's plan had to work. Otherwise, there'd not be any more episodes.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really didn't like this episode. While the solution to the problem was creative, I think Star Trek has tainted time travel for me. Though on a lighter note, at least we got to see Chloe die twice. At perhaps I missed it, but what happened to Future Rush?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you mean Rush who dove into the malfunctioning gate and went back to the past : When the kino went through, it saw him lying on the ground just past the gate. There was no explanation of what specifically happened to him, but that was presumably his skull they found next to the kino at the beginning of the episode.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I completely disagree with MNW; I think this was an excellent way to handle time travel. Unlike Star Trek, in which the story usually seemed to have a semi-omniscient grasp of what was going on, SGU seems to be focusing on the various moments along the way rather than the procedural "fix the timeline" story. The time travel becomes a means towards an end rather than the whole point of the show.**

If this episode was done by Star Trek, they would've had a scene at the end of the "is everything all right?" vein to completely spell out that the problem was taken care of. And they probably would've had more setup at the beginning, too.

I think that this was a pretty insightful treatment of time travel. Consistent with previous instances (all the way back to "1969"), the story was internally logical and coherent (whereas some Trek time travel episodes weren't), and the twist of killing a bunch of people anyway in the second time loop was something that I didn't see coming until Chloe died.

My big question, which could either be a plot hole or a future story: why did the aliens seem to ignore Scott (for the most part)? In the first loop the one only bit him, didn't eviscerate him. And he was the only one to escape the last fight intact. Sure, that last creature was creeping up on him, but maybe it would've just bit him, too.

Finally, to follow up on Krenim's note about the Destiny, it's really starting to creep me out. It seems that the ship knows exactly what's going on and what is needed before the crew even knows that it's needed. But if that's not a future plot line, I don't know what is... [Wink]

** Side Note: That's not to bash Trek, certainly; SGU is just using a more modern, mature storytelling method that couldn't have developed without Trek's stories to build on.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. I may have been really tired last night when I watched it and had to replay a few sections cause I missed what they said but I don't get the time-lines here.

The first group are in the past or not? The first time Scott tries to throw a kino in it just roles back down? OHHH it's near RUSH - so THAT actually went back in time. Got it now... I think.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, I know what you mean. The reason they couldn't contact Destiny while the Stargate was fritzing was because the wormhole was looping back to the same planet, in the past. So Rush thought he was gating to Destiny, but instead going back in time, back to the same planet.

As Eli said, "What... the..." [Wink]

One more thing that I missed before: I think Greer was a standout of the show. Very understated scenes, but awesome.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the first group are in the present. Rush and the Kino went back in time. The second group are in the present, the SECOND Kino will warn ANOTHER group. Presumably though Rush and the first Kino should disappear when those events didn't play out. "I hate temporal mechanics". [Smile]

The effect on the Wormhole looked freaky, I must say.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Re: the timeline, that's exactly how I've been interpreting it.

Another silly question: how come they're only taking one Kino on these missions?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine because two kinos means two pairs of hands to operate them.

I had a feeling when they introduced the Kinos that they'd eventually do a Blair Witch/Cloverfield episode. I'm glad they used it in an unconventional way - Pitch Black meets Predator.

As far as Destiny's apparent omnipotence goes, it's starting to get very suspicious and not in a bad way. Either that's a very advanced AI, or there's somebody or something else on the ship or one of the Ancients are bending the rules again. This is the second time Rush has mentioned ascension so they certainly haven't been forgotten by the writers.

As for the timeline, I do wonder that when the unseen but inevitable 3rd group arrives if they'll find just on Kino or two plus Yorik?

I suppose it depends on when in time the second Kino was sent. If it arrives earlier in time than the first then the first shouldn't arrive at all, if it arrives later then they should both still be there.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
As for the timeline, I do wonder that when the unseen but inevitable 3rd group arrives if they'll find just on Kino or two plus Yorik?

Hmm. My initial assumption was that the first Kino and Rush's corpse would cease to exist because the timeline was changed. But that's the Star Trek rules of timeline changing. In Stargate, they do tend to leave things a bit less tidy, with apparent paradoxes that are resolved by the fact that the timeline might be changing while an object or person is in transit through the wormhole. (Like in "1969" when the Stargate was present for a few moments before it disappeared. Or how Mitchell had that picture of his dad and his "buddy" in his locker.)

So considering that the Stargate in the past could potentially be just a "dumb" receptor for whatever gets tossed its way, it might make sense that the second Kino (sent by Scott) would arrive first — assuming that the time jump was a finite length, or rather that time passed equally in both time frames, so to speak.

Therefore, yes, I guess it could be that the unseen third team will find two Kinos plus Yorick.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if I remember 1969, a mistiming of a few seconds sent them about 50 years in the future, so one assumes the temporal trajectory (for lack of a better term) is in constant flux.

As for artefacts from alternate timelines, there was the warning note from 2010 O'Neal (hey, we've almost caught up!) the message with the Mobius ZPM and so forth. Plus we know stargates can cross alternate realities under certain conditions, so perhaps they're going with the branching universe theory.

--------------------

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a good episode in my opinion...but it left me scratching my head in the end. I understood the flow of it well enough, but from the preview of next week's ep, it seems that we might not get an explanation to how the whole thing ended.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Stargates can cross alternate realities? I thought that was the quantum mirror? I wonder if that was an ancient artifact. They never mentioned. Surely the Goa'uld didn't invent it. Maybe it was Furling Technology!! [Smile]

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, here is what you're looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vte7LMnYV10

Finally, a Kino extra that actually contributes to the show, sorta...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Stargates can cross alternate realities? I thought that was the quantum mirror? I wonder if that was an ancient artifact. They never mentioned. Surely the Goa'uld didn't invent it. Maybe it was Furling Technology!! [Smile]

I think they showed about 3 ways to cross realities; the mirror the stargate and that reactor thingy on Atlantis.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps