Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars $$ [SPOILERS]

Author Topic: $$ Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars $$ [SPOILERS]
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, did anyone else watch this? Much better than the last special, I thought - at least this one had more of a story than "dig the bus out of the sand". [Smile] Could have done without the robot, but they did keep it to a minimum...if only they had done the same with K9 back in the day. Good, solid performances all round and a genuinely creepy villain.

As for the ending...does anyone else think that the Doctor has gone a bit mad, and might even be turning bad a bit? He did seem to realise that he had done something wrong, but then seemed angrily defiant in the TARDIS just moments later. It would be interesting if we, the audience, could see that he needed to regenerate to get himself back to normal but the character was doing all he could to avoid that. Would be an interesting way of turning the usual regeneration scenario on it's head - instead of the Doctor sacrificing himself to save someone else and being ok with doing so, he fights to stay as he is while we know he has to change to save himself.

Much better than the last one, and if they can keep up this pace it should be an interesting Christmas!

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I saw it. It was OK, but the Doctors realisation of his "godhood" if you like, was a bit forced. I would have prefered to see either him having to leave the woman behind and save the others. Either that, or have his attempts to save them be what caused their deaths. Nice guilt spiral there.

OTOH if he hadn't saved Adelaide then he couldn't have had his "I can do anything" speach and then the smackdown when he's gone to far. Picky, I know, but thats me. I was very pleased to see an episode aimed at a broader audience than some of the last two series (which I think aimed at the kid friendly demographic a little too much).

I'd give it a B, maybe B+ (the bus one got a C-).

One other thing. Did anybody else think that the Doctors madness might be to make viewers think "OK, he was good, but this Doctor has had his time. Bring on the new kid."?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I liked the Doctor's getting a little dark and power-mad at the end, but I thought it was too quick. He went from normal to crazy to repentant in about ten minutes. I'd rather have seen something like that played out over the course of a number of episodes.
FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
One other thing. Did anybody else think that the Doctors madness might be to make viewers think "OK, he was good, but this Doctor has had his time. Bring on the new kid."?

I think that's what they are aiming for - that the Tenth Doctor is going to come to a bad end, and it will take a regeneration into the Eleventh to save him from himself.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps