Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Destiny's flight plan

Author Topic: Destiny's flight plan
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was taking a look at an animated GIF that someone made showing the route that the Destiny took away from the Milky Way. And I'm a bit puzzled.

Based on dialogue, it seems that the first galaxy the Destiny visited was Pegasus. And from there it seemed to go straight out further into the universe. Why the heck wouldn't Destiny survey the rest of the galaxies in the Local Group? Andromeda and Triangulum are both a hell of a lot bigger than Pegasus, to say the least. It seems to me that they would be worth surveying.

Could it be possible that Destiny isn't the only ship of its kind? That's the simplest explanation, IMO.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they stayed out of Andromeda due to radiation levels... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing to say that Destiny did or didn't travel to those galaxies, or that the gate seeder ships didn't either - for all we know they did exactly that, brough Destiny home, then sent her out again. But I'm guessing that assuming those galaxies HAD stuff in them worth exploring at the time, they would simply do it by ZPM-boosted, eighth chevron gate travel. I'm thinking that the Destiny project was specifically meant to explore WAY out there, far beyond the range of a standard stargate even with a ZPM range boost. Otherwise, they wouldn't even NEED a ship in the first place and would simply travel from Earth or a ship/base in the target galaxy, a la Atlantis.

So far, the Destiny has only made three stops in areas with stargates, and they seem to be keyed to the stuff they actually NEED rather than any pre-programmed course. Many are thinking that Destiny has their backs in this regard, and that eventually when they have everything they need to survive for an extended period of time, they can move on to what the ship was supposed to do.

Regardless, they don't seem to stop in a specific galaxy or somewhere they can do any extended exploration; we don't know for sure, but I'm thinking they're stopping in small clusters of stars between galaxies to pick up what they need, OR that these stargates have relatively limited range and are the closest ones that have what the ship has deemed necessary within a single galaxy.

You bring up an interesting point though - since the second season of Atlantis, the SGC has had the ability to send an Earth ship three million light years in the space of three weeks (and in as little as four days with a ZPM). While a lot of stuff has been going on requiring these ships to hang around the home Galaxy, you'd think that at SOME point they'd think about sending a ship to Triangulum, Andromeda or some other places in the local group. Hell, you'd think that the Replicators would have left SOMETHING behind in the Ida Galaxy worth scrounging for, unless they figured everything they'd need is in the Asgard memory core.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the ships was off on a super-secret mission during Atlantis' series finale. Who knows...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be there are super bad-guys in those galaxies.
Or just established natives that have a version of Lou Dobbs shouting about immigration. [Wink]

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Or just established natives that have a version of Lou Dobbs shouting about immigration. [Wink]

That makes sense. There have got to be other Ancient-level civilizations out there in other galaxies, who might object to the neighbours planting a stargate network that runs through their back yard. After all, it doesn't make sense to send out ships just to piss people off.

Have they ever established how many seeder ships are flying ahead of Destiny?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Seeder ships -- Not yet, but I imagine they will soon since they mentioned getting a direct link from them.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps