Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dogtag analysis (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Dogtag analysis
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's dangerous to drink and post, Axem. The net is intelligent, probing you for weaknesses. They remember.
Stoneyburn? Funny, as stoneburners are mining tools and weapons of mass destruction in the Dune universe.

Ok, good job on the dogtag, guys. Round 2 of the "grunt memorabilia" quiz, to figure out the coat of arms and motto/phrase on this hip flask, if possible;

-

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pic's way to low res for me to make it out, the dogtag thing was a simple case of looking up dogtag formats on wikipedia.

All i can decipher is "OPPSENSULERN" or something like that.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
De Opresso Liber: US Army Special Forces motto.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_oppresso_liber

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which would make the arms a scroly thing with a crossed pair of arrows and a sword.

Not (as I saw) a horse shoe and a pair of sunglasses.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it looks like a horse/sunglasses combo right enough.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, it's this thing alright, good catch bX, I'm impressed. I'm also impressed by the prop guys responsible for these little details during the shoot.

The Special Forces link also goes neatly hand in hand with the next thing I would've posted if this hadn't turned up anything, namely Dillon's and Dutch's lighters, as shown in the choppah, from 1972, north of Hueh (insert courtesy of wikipedia).

EDIT: This also gives a very good reason for why Dutch (Arnold) knew Hopper, since Hopper and his Green Berets are the same service arm as him.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Samantha Carter actually quoted the Special Forces motto on Stargate. [Smile] Random sci-fi factoid there.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
Should be, at least on mine....

Last name
First name, middle initial
Social Security Number USN, blood type
[blank line]
Religious preference.

I guess the Navy does theirs differently. On mine (Army)....

Last name
First name, middle initial
xxx-xx-1234 (last four of social security number)
blood type
and religious preference on the last line.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps