Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x11 "Space" $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x11 "Space" $$
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thought has occurred to me:

What if Young connecting to the blue-fish alien wasn't a malfunction? We've already seen several instances where Destiny seemingly knows what the crew needs. What if that was the ship's way of saying "Hey, you guys are missing one of your own, and here's where he is"?

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there was a lot of sound clips to that effect at the head of the episode, so it's possible.
I have to wonder if the ship has some kind of AI that keeps directing them to what they need or if it's something else. So far it's been a little too overt to be an ascended being and I suppose the only other alternative is that there's an ancient somewhere on the ship, somehow still alive and waybe plugged in to one of those interface chairs.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *still* think that's what should have happened; for example, these "Blue aliens" have some more complicated knee joints than humans do. Maybe the stones 'translate' body sense and movement intention as well as sensory input? (After all, he didn't appear to even see differently, and there'd be no reason these guys would see in our color spectrum.)

And I guess what I'm saying is I'd rather have avoided this whole story to begin with [Razz] "Superior aliens are shooting at us and we don't know who they are" has been done before...three times *cough* Goa'uld *cough* Wraith *cough* Priors *sneeze*. Hayfever season's coming up...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark has a four month-old at home. Mark was delayed with his notes. Sue Mark!

- Well, SOMEONE brought an electric shaver in their supplies, and at least that can be recharged via Ancient technology.

- Was it always standard procedure to record scheduled swapouts with the kinos?

- Since when was it Eli's job to check the shower system? They have other scientists and engineers on board. Maybe it was Riley's job,but he's still out of commission.

- New background characters! Dr. Caine was apparently always there, but we just never saw him before. I suppose it was inevitable before we ran into the Voyager-esque cliche of meeting new people we hadn't seen in the background for years, who were there the whole time. Still, it would have made sense if it were Riley, Volger, or someone else we already knew. I suppose they needed someone more conventionally good-looking. [Razz]

- When the swap anomaly happens, Caine uses a cloth to remove the Ancient comm stone.

- The outfits Young, Rush and Chloe wore are not QUITE like the ones the aliens wore, though that was obviously the intent. Specifically, while barefoot, they still cover the lower legs, while the aliens are clearly unclothed from the knee down.

- Young is seen mending a pair of very non-military issue socks. He just happened to bring some along, or is he wearing somethign with extra padding in those boots? Nice touch though, using green thread on a grey sock. [Razz]

- Volger has succeeded in using the seeds they brought with them (from "Air"), though the taste is really wierd, probably due to the hydroponics process. Still no meat though, but I guess they coulda tried harvesting the burrowing alien flying killing insect things from "Time".

- When the rather unthreatening-looking alien ship shows up, Volger is seen using an old-fashioned Ancient telescope on the obs deck to check it out.

- I dunno if it was seen before, but the shuttle now has masking tape over the Ancient button labels with descriptions of what those buttons do, like "TRIM INDICATOR". Neat.

- So the only thing separating the insides from teh outer hull is a fairly solid-looking block of metal? There must be certain molecular properties in that metal that act as insulation, cooling, etc. There are a half-dozen or more layers of material between the inside and outside of the space shuttle, depending on where you're looking.

- The alien uniforms are wierd. They seem to have some sort of tentacles or tubules leaving their face and going THROUGH holes in the uniforms; do they reattach to the body, or are they simply hanging free? The alien Young swapped with had his tubes simply disappearing into his SGU uniform.

- So why DID Young swap with an alien? He couldn't swap back once that alien was killed. Was it something about that particular subject's physiology?

- Did the alien ship fire a single shot in the whole episode? The only weapons fire seemed to come from Destiny, her shuttle, and the fighters.

- Destiny has a main weapon in addition to the smaller spherical turrets and larger dual batteries, which deploys from the underside of the nose. It has three main barrels plus one underneath, which isn't seen firing. There's something very WWII battleship about this setup which I find very cool!

- Destiny doesn't have a shuttlebay, which is strange for a ship of exploration that would be expected to run into other spacefaring races at some point, no?

- They have re-acquired an alien fighter, which is the same as the one that was seen detaching at the end of "Air". Since they DON'T have a shuttlebay, they're pretty much stuck cutting a hole in the ceiling every time they use it, unless they improvise a hatch or master the force fields which are patching the holes in other parts of the ship.

- How did Rush and Chloe get their clothes back? They obviously weren't wearing them under the alien gear. Did Rush figure out where they'd been stored via the telepathic Seven of Nine sticky things, and grab them on the way to the fighter bay?

- I don't remember seeing it there before, but the obs lounge seems to have inherited one of the "coffee kiosks" seen in the mess hall. Did it get moved in there so people can drink while staring at the FTL lightshow?

- Likewise, there seems to be an increasing amount of comfortable black leather furniture in the various rooms. The place seemed pretty barren when they arrived; I'll suspend my disbelief that the furniture isn't actually leather but some spacey agey Ancient fabric that has withstood eons of time. But I suppose they just found a big storage room full of comfy chairs and sofas and have been distributing it around to the crew?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suppose it would make sense to store the furniture somewhere on Destiny before launch, instead of spreading it around the quarters where it could bounce around during battle with noone on board to repair any damage.

As for the stones, the wiki says there's a scene when Rush reads the alien's mind that shows the alien handling a communications stone; he and Young swapped because they were the last two to handle a stone.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thread revive. Cause I just watched it.

^ "How did Rush and Chloe get their clothes back?"

I noticed that too. But when Chloe got nabbed, she wasn't wasn't wearing her standard pink wrap-around thing. And Rush was wearing a Marine uniform when young left him on that planet.

^ "He couldn't swap back once that alien was killed. Was it something about that particular subject's physiology?"

No, the alien was dead. There was no mind to swap with.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps