Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x19 Incursion part 1 $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x19 Incursion part 1 $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a lot of problems/observations with this one.

If they can vent any compartment, why not vent the gateroom and surrounding corridors instead of just locking them down? Fancy the LA doing squat when they dial into vacuum. But then I guess we wouldn't have an episode. (Later: Oh, they're going to wait until AFTER they arrive to do that. Um....*why*? Because he'd rather slaughter them all than have the rest of them not come through when the advance team doesn't radio back?)

Sure, I get why Young didn't explain his order to Scott, but the guy has to realize the need to explain things to civilians who didn't sign up to take orders. Just because he has a metal bird on his shirt doesn't mean he can do whatever he pleases. (Or at least, it damn well shouldn't. But I suppose that's the point of all this wrangling with Wray.)

What's the Lucian Alliance doing with Tau'ri computers? Those were flatscreen monitors and stuff...why wouldn't they just use Goa'uld equipment like usual? Maybe there's a deeper connection between the LA and Earth than we think.

Interesting, gate travel must break the stones' connections. Makes sense really; suddenly you're a bajillion megalightyears from where you just were. I can't imagine the stones would be able to keep track.

Apparently that steam the gate shoots when it shuts down is VERY DANGEROUS as some LA guy screamed as he was enveloped in them. That seems really *stupid* of the Ancients. What, they couldn't vent it somewhere besides *right next to the gate*, directly into the ship's atmosphere?

How did the LA know how to make these little disc-thingies that seem specifically designed to open Destiny's doors?

The LA are also using Earth weapons in addition to Earth computers. Don't Goa'uld-inspired cultures tend to think Earth weapons are crap? Don't the LA use staffs and zats like the Jaffa do?

I figured Lucian Alliance Lady (what was her name? Nissan? Mitsubishi? something) would take pity on TJ for being preggers but apparently she's a stone-cold bitch, ready to cap her on her knees, fetus or no fetus.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did mention in dialogue some things to answer those questions...

Why Young waited until they were in to vent the air, I dunno. But I thought the idea was to get them to surrendeer once they arrived. But it wouldn't have made a difference in how many people came through the gate, because according to Kiva they never got a radio signal. Sure would have put a damper on them trying to break out, though.

If it were me, I would have had people standing right behind the gate, grabbing people as they came flying out before they could get their bearings.

But then, this whole episode is just a plot device. Clearly the writers want Telford (and possibly Kiva) to be on the ship.

As for the steam, well, the Ancients planned to use the ship themselves. Anyone who boarded the ship would probably have read the user's manual first.

Concerning the LA using Dell computers, there were two reasons, mainly because they were trying to duplicate Rush's work and make it easier for him to work for them.

It's obvious that the LA has infiltrated Earth just like Ba'al did, meaning they can acquire whatever they want. But why they were using conventional guns instead of zats is beyond me. But then, Stargate hasn't used the zats since, what, seasons six or seven of SG-1?

And finally, the lock picker thingy. Obviously all that info came from Telford, right?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe T picked up a zat when he and Ronan went mustang on the Wraith that infiltrated the SGC in "Midway". And Shepherd used one on somebody when they they were stealing the jumper in "The Return".
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Apparently that steam the gate shoots when it shuts down is VERY DANGEROUS..."

Well, yes. It's steam.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, T uses a zat in "Bad Guys" of season 10 to stun someone in order to discourage SG1's hostages. They also zat Daniel when he's beamed up as a prior in the same season.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Telford told them about the Destiny, but the Earth humans don't seem to know enough about Destiny to make those disc thingies, so how could he tell the LA how to make them? I know it's a very minor point but it bugs me.

I just figured it was hydraulic exhaust or something, like from an air brake (or would that be...aero...lic...); when pressurized gas is let out into a lower-pressure environment, it tends to condense, meaning the steam would actually be cold, not hot. And user manual or no, it would still be unacceptably dangerous, like not building railings around superlasers.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed the steam was a function of the gate's cooling system. I mean that thing is a superconductor and it's not nearly as refined as the newer Milkyway & Pegasus gates.

As for the LA having Earth computers; they specifically stated in the previous episode that they acquired those to recreate Rush's program. As to how they go hold of them, I just assumed they captured them from a raid on some SGC outpost or small off-world base. I think they mentioned Telford allowing just such a thing to happen.

As for the door thingies; Telford didn't just tell the LA stuff he'd seen with his own eyes, he handed over classified files that probably had the debriefings of just about everyone who used the stones, including Rush and the other scientists. It's not much of a stretch to say the SGC were trying to build a picture of the ship's technology in order to find a way to get them back and yes, the doors and the control systems are a significant factor. On the other hand, it's possible the LA found some similar ancient tech and came prepared.

Overall I'm liking how this is going and the fact that it seemed to be over so quickly for me is probably a good sign. Roll on next week!

Any guesses as to what's going on with the disintegrate-o-matic? At first I thought that the ship had parked itself too close to a pulsar or quasar and that was a blast of hard rads getting through a gap in the shield, but then wouldn't someone have noticed that out the window? On the other hand I gather those things can be leathal even several lightyears distant.
Whatever it was I bet good money it's tied into why the ship hasn't jumped back into FTL. I suppose what's his face who plugged into the ship has switched on the internal defences, but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as things started malfunctioning, I immediately guessed that it's Franklin. Or if not Franklin, then whatever intelligence has been running the ship since they got there.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of little things like mentioned above were nagging at me, but overall I enjoyed the episode. Universe has been a mixed bag for me, especially since it's generally pretty light on the action scenes, so Incursion was a nice change of pace, flawed though it may be.

I can't for the life of me stand Camille or Chloe though. One is an antagonistic IOA bitch and the other is a non stop cock tease. Aside from TJ, the female cast on this series has been a complete miss in writing for me.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually feel sorry for the actress playing Camille, she's being written as if we should sympathise with her but almost everything she does while on the ship seems at odds with that. I mean I realise that like everyone there, she's completely out of her depth and knows it and perhaps may be over compensating but still, how long have they been out there now? 6 months? A year? There should be some semblance of stability in her relationship with Young by now.

I sort of feel the same about Rush, except his writing is the other way around. I the early episodes especially, he was written as a complete git and everything the other characters say and do says "he's a villain" but it's overcooked and not quite in line with the way he's being played. It's only recently that the writing has caught up with the performance.

As for Chloe, I think she's a much more interesting character when she's with Eli. There's some real chemistry there, while Scott is just Mr. bland (through no fault of the actor I should add.) He often brings nothing to any of his interactions and is being written as some weird neo-boyscout with what is so far a token tragic background and tiresome angst. In a nutshell he comes across as "a bit dim but well meaning."

T.J. on the other hand is surprisingly doing very well with not very much to do. I think the actress getting pregnant has really helped the character. I shudder to think what the season would have been like had she spent the while time just pining and feeling awkward around Young. With a bun in the oven she has much more pressing and compelling concerns.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I completely agree about Scott; they could write the character out of the show entirely and lose absolutely nothing. That's just not good.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I don't get why people like TJ. She fucked her commanding officer. (And Young fucked his subordinate.) That's a big no-no in the military. Other than that, she's had very little to do that's actually interesting.

I do agree about the Chloe and Eli thing. What is it about all the characters that we seem to hate them individually but still enjoy the show?

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I can't say myself, T.J. just somehow manages to come across as a real person. I suppose the fact we never witnessed the affair helps matters somewhat.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

It might also be that if you're not military, you probably don't really care what the military's rules are. I don't think any less of the characters for having an affair, either; it's not like that doesn't happen all the time in the real world. (Not that it's ok, but you really can't hate a person just for that; or I can't, anyway.) So to me, TJ is a person who loves someone she "shouldn't" (I put it in quotes because it isn't like you can choose) and has consequences that she doesn't deserve in my book, like having to raise a kid on a dangerous, dirty spaceship a billion lightyears from home (which has to be much scarier than it seems right now, if it really happened). I think that's relate-able, in a weird way.

Of course, I don't think she's ever actually said that she loves him, so maybe I'm just inferring that she does when in fact she doesn't.

WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the fact that none of these characters are charismatic is kind of refreshing in a way. I think it is kind of what they were shooting for in the "no supposed to be there and definitely not equipped for being there" sort of way.
  • Young: he is most definitely NOT another Jack O'Neall. He seems to be out of his depth and having to deal with something far beyond his ability. He makes mistakes that aren't cleared up by the end of an episode.
  • Rush: Imagine being genius enough to realize you are SECOND RATE GENIUS. Worse, you have an Uber-dork figure out what you COULDN'T. I don't think I could really believe yet another Samantha Carter or McKay and we certainly don't get one with Rush. And the fact that he KNOWS it makes his being a Jassack more spot on. Plus having Eli there seems to bring out a very reluctant mentor aspect in him as well as an intellectual foil.
  • Scott: is the guy who wants to be the hero, wants to do the right thing, but also wants to be liked. His daliance with Lt. Big'uns and then jumping on Chloe shows his immaturity and that he's a "Not Ready For Prime Time Player".
  • T.J.: Imagine a woman actually hooking up with her superior. SG-1 continually had the O'Neall/Carter unrequited love sublot going on. Only this time it actually happened, and she downloaded Young 2.0 in a big oops.
  • Camille: Is another bureacrat that is in a situation way out of her league. As a control freak in this situation the very first thing she needs to feel safe is CONTROL. This puts her conflict with Young into an overdrive mode. She wants ORDER, preferrably HER ORDER.
  • Chloe: feels beyond out of place. The only thing she feels she has to offer is herself as a pushin' cushion. Naturally she picks Scott because he has looks AND authority. The Eli triangle just further emphasizes the human-ness of this group.
  • Greer: is a level of volatility that has not been on any SG series. Not only is he ready and willing to provide the necessary beat-down, he may do it anytime and anywhere. He portrays "Dangerous" more than Teal'c or Ronan ever did.
  • Eli: is the dude playing "The Last Starfighter" actually getting beamed a gazillion mile away and realizing "OH S***". His love for Chloe just emphasizes his geekiness. He also is having to deal with the realization that he is actually smarter than Rush who is supposed to be figuring out how to get everyone home. Not something he's ready to admit to himself.

I like the ragged feel of this ensemble. They really DON'T belong out there. They really DON'T work well together. They really DON'T trust one another. It is everyday life.

What I really don't want to see happen is a "Voyager" crapola of melding two crews into one so all can survive. That is what I fear with the addition of the Lucian Alliance members. While that could very well serve as a galvanizing force for the Earth contingent, it just simply seems to be a situation that is not only unworkable, but destined for one group or the other finding themselves on the wrong side of the airlocks. In many ways, I think this show has the feel that Voyager SHOULD have had. You never felt that things were desperate on that show but on this one you get the impression that they really are just clinging on and scratching out their bare survival.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps