Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Mortal Kombat Rebirth

Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Rebirth
Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the new MK movie trailer finally came out on Monday after like 3 years in movie development hell. It's a 7 minute preview that sets up the premise and the new look/feel to the franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_MqZn7E-mk&feature=player_embedded

Some interesting notes.

- Jeri Ryan plays Sonya Blade.

- Outworld and the concept of waring realms is gone. Everyone is now human and the tournament is a battle between the world's serial murderers and assassins.

- Johnny Cage is killed in the preview

Overall, it's an interesting idea for a reboot. The games are great, but the narrative of the games and movies were a terrible, jumbled mess. Seems like an odd choice to throw out the scifi edge but I guess we'll see how that pans out.

--------------------
Failure is not an option -- it comes bundled with Windows.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks uhhhh.... disturbing.
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Jeri Ryan, it's a video aimed at getting Warner Bros. to make another Mortal Kombat film. And I quote:

It's not a game trailer. Actually was made for the director to sell WB on his vision for a reimagined MK film.
I did it as a favor to a friend. No idea yet what WB's reaction to it was. And I'm not sure how you can contact WB…
to push them to make it. But you guys are resourceful…! ;-)

Meh...never cared to much for Mortal Kombat, the games or awful movies. I was more of Street Fighter/ Marvel vs. Capcom fan, and even then it was more of a passing interest.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked it but it's gotta be NC17 to work the way they protray it. but Jeri Ryan as Sonya? o.O

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this isn't a movie trailer then? Just a short to try and drum up interest?

I agree... to pull off this version of Reptile alone would bump the rating to NC17. It'll never happen.

Still... one wonders what Ms. Ryan would look like fighting at that level. The WWF episode of Voyager wasn't exactly expert-level martial arts.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's even assuming they'll cast her if they actually get a movie out of this. Not to be overly negative but the fact that it's been released to the general public rather smacks of desperation. It was well done as far as these things go (if a little heavy handed on exposition) but I think if the studios were even marginally interested, we wouldn't be seeing this.

Of course I can't say that I'm particularly attached to the IP. Love the old game when I used to play it against my brother on the megadrive, but never bothered with the sequels. I have only a vague recollection of the first movie, but from what I do recall it was really naff, but just the right kind of naff to be entertaining for a single viewing. Again, never bothered with the sequels.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After watching this I watched the first Mortal Kombat movie. I still like it. For a movie based on a fighting games it's actually good. Ok, so the the special effects and CGI is dated, but otherwise a watchable movie unlike that Street Fighter mess. I thought the actors matched the characters very well. Especially Bridgette Wilson as Sonya. I'm not sure if I could picture Jeri Ryan in the same role.

When it comes to the games. I haven't played MK in a long time. I had the first three on Sega Genesis. But lost interest in them after a while. With a new MK game coming out I hope they go back to the basics that made me enjoy the early games.

As for this promo. As was said before, seems that they're going for a more "real" approach. It doesn't surprise me. What I think of as being the Nolan Batman move of making something gritty and realistic as possible. In this case, ditching the whole MK tournament as a means of conquering this realm. Since they're trying to make everyone human makes me wonder how they would handle Raiden.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raiden = Thor? [Big Grin]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bloke with a tazer? [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

woody854
Member # 2209

- posted      Profile for woody854     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the old school mortal kombat! I used to play that game all the time. This new spin on it though. I dunno, might be to much of a change
woody854
Member # 2209

- posted      Profile for woody854     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GET OVER HERE! ha ha, i still remember the finishing move key combo for that, ha ha
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thay just made that Mortal Kombat vs. the DC Universe last year though- I never played it but the graphics I saw looked pretty cool.
No fatalaties allowed though, which really sucked- DC would not allow it.

I'd have bought a game system just to see Scorpion bite off Batman's head!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

woody854
Member # 2209

That would be funny to see. Scorpion is a badass.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps