Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 2x02 "Aftermath" $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGU 2x02 "Aftermath" $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when do Destiny gates spin?

Poor Riley.

Stupid Rush. [Mad]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Destiny's gates have always spun since the very first episode. The entire gate spins, there's no inset ring, and the chevrons are locked when the appropriate symbol contacts the ball-like bearing at the top of the gate.

Rush is just an idiot. He has no sense of irony, apparently; witness him calling Young unfit to command...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, right, brain-fart moment. Was thinking of Atlantis gates...

But, that raises the point: if the whole thing spins, how does it do that when partially buried?

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't read any comments; I'm gonna write as I watch and then go back and read.

Hmm...the whole bridge rises up out of the superstructure when you want to open the window? That seems like a terrible design, more trouble than it's worth. Why not just blast shields over the window...?

I'm liking Gloria showing up. It actually makes sense, if I'm guessing correctly - his mind trying to understand the information dumped into his brain, and giving him a hallucination he can talk to. (Or at least it makes sense to me.)

Oooo, franklin.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
Oh, right, brain-fart moment. Was thinking of Atlantis gates...

But, that raises the point: if the whole thing spins, how does it do that when partially buried?

I'm thinking that the floor/base is the turning mechanism.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also something I noticed, why doesn't the 'KaWoosh' carve out a divot in the stone base of the off-world gates? Part of the ring is buried in the stone.

Good episode. Poor Riley. They didn't need to get rid of him, just so we can have some loser Lutian Alliance member replace him.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That scene with Young and Riley, really touching.

Also, we'll finally get to see a seeder ship, finally.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Also something I noticed, why doesn't the 'KaWoosh' carve out a divot in the stone base of the off-world gates? Part of the ring is buried in the stone.

Good episode. Poor Riley. They didn't need to get rid of him, just so we can have some loser Lutian Alliance member replace him.

Probably for the same reason the Pegasus and Milky-Way don't do the same thing; they all have similar pedestals after all. Even the SGC gate has a metal gantry that doesn't disappear every time they switch it on. The reason probably has something to do with the diameter of the 'kawoosh' not being equal to the diameter of the event horizon.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First SGU episode I've caught in a while. Same for Caprica as well.

During the episode I wondered when did Colonel Young become Adama? The entire episode, I kept wondering if they wanted him to be as Adama like as possible.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean? Because he mercy-killed Riley, saving a bullet / drugs / subordinate grief in the process? [Razz]

I'm willing to be that THIS is the episode where Young starts changing. He hasn't killed like this before, and despite their situation he may be thinking that just this sort of behaviour could have been avoided. I'm hoping it's this episode that galvanizes him into becoming a better leader.

I'll miss Riley. Each Stargate series has had a "gate technician" secondary character, be it Walter or Chuck, but Riley just doesn't go the distance. I think he'll be replaced in a sense by Ginn, the Lucian Alliance tech girl, but we'll see.

The bridge is pretty cool, even if it's a pretty Trekish design. One thing that wasn't easily noticed was that it is not directly on the ship's centerline, but on the forward right corner of the pyramid superstructure - I wonder if there's something else of note on the other corner? Perhaps there's another one, in case they need to break this one for some reason later on. [Razz]

As for the entire bridge rising out of the superstructure, it's not THAT bad of an idea if they really wanted to protect the bridge during battle and yet have an actual window to look out of when people aren't shooting at you. ALL of the major Stargate ship designs in the franchise, from Ha'Tak to Daedalus to Aurora, have had actual windows on their bridges, and I don't see that as a bad thing.

And hey, they're fresh out of shuttles, though I have a feeling that this week's episode will remedy that. It was a little wierd that Destiny had docking ports for three shuttles, but no apparent facility to repair or maintain them, such as a hangar. Now they've got no shuttles left, and I highly doubt that the producers would let our heroes be stuck with mere stargates to get around for long. To say nothing of scrapping an expensive major set. [Razz]

Kudos where they're due though, for showing a very brief FX shot of Destiny dropping out of FTL, and clearly showing they have no shuttles in the forward centerline or portside berths. It's almost Galactica-like continuity there, for something as minor as a missing shuttle. One wonders, if Destiny will suffer further obvious damage, that the CG model would be permanently altered thereafter to reflect that and the crew's inability to fix it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

A retracting bridge is not without precedent: the Minerva's bridge in Gundam SEED Destiny retracted when going into battle.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wha--? An anime technology reference that ISN'T me or Wet Penn State? The world is all FIDDLE FADDLE FOO! [Razz]

Anyway, to be specific the Minerva's bridge doesn't ACTUALLY retract. Rather, part of the bridge deck INSIDE the superstructure descends to a lower level, where combat-oriented crew stations are located along with dedicated viewscreens, no windows, and the requisite low lighting. This in turn is a throwback to the UC Gundam warship designs from the early 0090s onwards, where the bridge crew would relocate to a smaller combat bridge / CIC and direct the ship from there. QED. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still don't see why they couldn't just have the window *open* with a thick armored shutter instead of moving the entire bridge.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for one it increases structural integrity and for another it reduces the odds of a front on direct hit. Best to not have a vulnerable point than have have one you need to add extra armour to protect. Then of course there's the most important consideration *because it looks cool.* This is still a TV show, yes? ;-)

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Also, I think it makes a little sense to stow a crucial compartment in a "locked down" position until it's actively needed a million years later. It doesn't mean that they're going to keep popping the bridge up and down every time they feel like it.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps