Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » SGU Stargate Network Question (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SGU Stargate Network Question
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still wanna find out about the Nox/Future Cassandra (and the Asgard? Can't remember) being able to make wormholes without a kawoosh. Could the Ancients do that? Have we ever actually seen an Ancient dialing a gate? I know we've at least seen them walking through an active one (in Atlantis when the citizens are returning to Earth during the episode where Weir was in the past or whatever the hell that was.)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've seen an ascended beings do that (though one has to wonder why they needed to use the gate at all) and I think Carter and McKay managed to do it in that one where Teal'c got stuck in the buffer after blowing up that bloke from Highlander...I forget the episode title.

As for the khawoosh itself, I think it's been said to be a result of the vortex stabilising into an event horizon--sort of like wormhole equivalent of degaussing, I suppose. Remember that even the Ori supergates "khawooshed" so it's a standard by product of the technology.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When an iris or forcefield is in place over the gate, there is no kawoosh though the wormhole does form (it only doesn't when there is a significant obstruction in the way, such as when the whole thing is buried). The kawoosh-less gate activations could thusly be an extension of a forcefield technology or something, remotely activated when people know for sure that there's nothing in the way of the event horizon.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think ascended beings need to travel through space like any other being; the Ori were specifically 'in' their galaxy, as were the Ancients in Pegasus and the Milky Way. Their using the gate proves it, I think - indeed, why would they need the gates at all, unless they can't shoot across the universe faster-than-light.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But I think that ascended beings can travel faster than light; otherwise, how could Daniel have been hanging out with Jack on Baal's planet and be monitoring what was happening on Earth too? (Just to name one example.)

That being said, I do think there's some kind of range limitation, otherwise the ascended Ori would probably have come to fight their war in person (so to speak).

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, it seems like ascended beings can do pretty much whatever they want, including travel FTL. The Ori didn't come to the Milky Way because the Ancients had put up a no trespessing sign and they were trying to avoid a direct confrontation with them until they'd hoovered all the worship-magic from the local populace. Doesn't mean they couldn't have shown up whenever they wanted though.

Just finished "Earth". O'Niell's really old. Telford's a mega-jerk... and poor Eli.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Maybe time just doesn't mean the same thing to them and they can be in more than one place at once? I dunno. Maybe you're right, but then why did they ever use a gate :-/
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the writers hadn't figured out that they were ascended Ancients yet [Smile]

Remember too, at the time, Oma was doing something that she wasn't supposed to be doing. Protecting the Harsesis was probably a big no-no. Maybe she was trying to stay under the ascended radar. Or maybe, since she had the child with her, she needed to stay on this plane of existence.

Shifu went through the Earth gate after he ascended, but Daniel didn't, at least not outside of his head. The monk on Kheb didn't either.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone notice the 'un-assembled' gates on the seeder ship last week? they come in pieces! I would have thought they were solid structures.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

We saw a seeder ship...? I don't remember that :-/ Screencaps, anyone?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Just watched "Lost" last night and it pretty much answered my original question about the gate networks. Riley said that the gates are "more primitive" than the ones in the Milky Way or Pegasus galaxies and that only a handful fall in range of the ship at any given time. They also made it pretty clear that only planets along the path that Destiny is following are seeded with Gates.

I found the gate-hopping to be quite cool as there has been a distinct lack of stargate action in some of the recent episodes.

I'm finding the Kino diaries in the extras to be pretty cool and often informative about some of the characters.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
We saw a seeder ship...? I don't remember that :-/ Screencaps, anyone?

Did you see last week's episode, it was all about the Seeder Ships which travel ahead of Destiny. The crew encounter a derelict one filled with not so nice aliens, and we do get to see where gates are constructed.

Some screenies here.
http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Seed_ship

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Oh, that's *last* weeks? I thought that was this weeks...*wiki list of episodes* Ohhh it airs on Tuesdays? Ok. Mah bad. *download*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps